Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anton Nieuwkoop
Netherlands
Klundert
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What if combat could end in a draw with both players have the same amount of power? (I know what the official rules are, thats why it could be a variant)
In this case, the attacker would withdraw to his original territory and the defender would stay in place. Both players would lose their power and combat cards and neither player receives a new combat card or a star. '

Why would you implement this?
- you have to attack with more mechs/characters to make sure you win the combat, or accept the possibility of a draw.
- This way the game ends less fast because of one player take a move action and win two battles to get his last stars(it happened quite some time with my games), because al he needed was a draw.

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Wilson
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
I wouldn't implement a variant that discourages combat. Everyone losing power, combat cards, and no stars is very punishing. And in my experience ties happen very often.

If you are worried about the game ending too quickly, then I would consider one of the variants posted here. I am most interested in allowing all players to take an additional NON-MOVEMENT turn following the 6th star.
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1626032/those-unhappy-abrup...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Super Turtle
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
But soft inside
badge
Speed is overrated
mbmbmbmbmb
antoi wrote:
What if combat could end in a draw with both players have the same amount of power? (I know what the official rules are, thats why it could be a variant)
In this case, the attacker would withdraw to his original territory and the defender would stay in place. Both players would lose their power and combat cards and neither player receives a new combat card or a star. '

Why would you implement this?
- you have to attack with more mechs/characters to make sure you win the combat, or accept the possibility of a draw.
- This way the game ends less fast because of one player take a move action and win two battles to get his last stars(it happened quite some time with my games), because al he needed was a draw.

What do you think?

I really like the idea. Actually I am going to try it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Liddle
United States
Sandpoint
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it sounds potentially interesting, but very difficult to pull off.

Take a carefully balanced benefit for the aggressor, give it to the defender, and I think you'd need to replace it with some other incentive or you'll end up with a non-interactive experience. Then you're down a long road to perfecting a variant designed to fix what's not broken.

There's already very strong incentive for having numerical advantage in combat units, but it's also somewhat in the defense's favor. This would not help that.

Maybe if it's only an option in 4+ player games, and the defender gets some kind of "king of the hill" benefit that can then be stolen by 3rd or 4th party aggressors? Or those not involved could place bets on the outcome?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.