Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the castle (the thing in the center of the board) a "building" for worker placement purposes? We had a question as to whether one could place workers in one move that were all adjacent to the castle (as opposed to one of the buildings that you build with a card from your hand).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess because the castle building site "counts as a building" (as per melissa's rules) and you can only put workers around a single building... you technically can put workers around the castle building site... it would make for interesting strategy... and probably waste valuable early workers.

-DK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.N. Onymous
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galfridus wrote:
Is the castle (the thing in the center of the board) a "building" for worker placement purposes? We had a question as to whether one could place workers in one move that were all adjacent to the castle (as opposed to one of the buildings that you build with a card from your hand).

According to the German rules, the castle is not a building. It only counts as a building when placing your own buildings (i.e., you may place a building adjacent to the castle), not during worker placement. Placing workers that are only adjacent to the castle is therefore not allowed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kimmel
United States
Waconia
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DKahnt wrote:
I guess because the castle building site "counts as a building" (as per melissa's rules) and you can only put workers around a single building... you technically can put workers around the castle building site... it would make for interesting strategy... and probably waste valuable early workers.

-DK

I don't think it's legal to put your workers next to the castle unless there is an adjacent building. Even if you could I don't think it's a good strategy to be placing workers where they may or may not be useful. I can see one possible strategy where you would do it to prevent others from using the location it's on but I doubt that would be effective in the long run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
On the move where it came up, it was early game -- the 4th player was taking their first turn, and placed one worked next to each of the buildings that players 1-3 had placed. It /seemed/ like an effective move, but after discussion we decided to not allow it...so we'll never know!\

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
ekimmel wrote:
DKahnt wrote:

-DK

I don't think it's legal to put your workers next to the castle unless there is an adjacent building. Even if you could I don't think it's a good strategy to be placing workers where they may or may not be useful. I can see one possible strategy where you would do it to prevent others from using the location it's on but I doubt that would be effective in the long run.

Yeah, I guess you're right... like I said, it would be a huge disaster as far as strategy goes... I don't know why you'd waste so many workers so early on in the game...

-DK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rüdiger Dorn
Germany
Nürnberg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
hello!

it has already been said. the castle building site counts as a building, but it is no building tile.
workers can only be placed adjacent to building tiles. so if you want to place workers, you must choose a buildung tile - you can´t choose the castle .....

regards
rüdiger dorn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.