Game One: Federation, Supremacy
Game Two: Klingons, Supremacy
Game Three: Federation, (Two Player vs Klingons) Supremacy
Game Four: Romulans, (Solitaire) Ascendancy
Game Five: Romulans, Supremacy
Game Six: Romulans, Ascendancy
Game Seven: Klingons, Supremacy
Game Eight: Three Way Supremacy Tie
Game Nine: Two Way Ascendency Tie (Federation/Romulans)

(After Game Six) So far I'm enjoying the game, and note that almost all of the different winning factions or types have occurred, which is good. Right now we haven't figured out how to counter the Romulan Advanced Cloaking, but hopefully we will (Game Four basically ended on a random draw of initiative cards, so doesn't really count in that).

Discussions here on bgg have shown great variations in play style and outcome. Its too early to draw conclusions about balance, and thats the fun of it.

Game session reports are available on separate posts.

This list will be updated. All comments are welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing!

The amount of supremacy victories surprises me. I expected that to be a relatively rare outcome, but I guess not! Maybe it depends on how aggressive the players are being. I'd imagine that Ascendancy is almost certainly the outcome with more passive players who prioritize infrastructure development over combat.

chas59 wrote:
Right now we haven't figures out how to counter the Romulan Advanced Cloaking, but hopefull we will

I'd imagine if the other two players just slap the crap out of the Romulan ASAP, it would assure a Romulan defeat. That's the fun of the game, to me. The negotiation/alliance metagame will evolve over time, and that's the really cool part. In that regard, it's similar to another GF9 favorite of mine -- Sons of Anarchy. The more you play that game, the more you realize you're not actually playing the game, but rather that you're playing the other players. Alliances and negotiations ARE the game. The rest is just a framework to support it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
and note that almost all of the different winning factions or types have occurred, which is good.

Except that the Romulans are the only faction winning with Ascendancy. Granted, I don't think the Klingons are designed for an Ascendancy victory, but I would expect to see one from the Feds. But then, six games is also a poor sample size to draw any real conclusion from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Byer
United States
Fishers
IN
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
chas59 wrote:
and note that almost all of the different winning factions or types have occurred, which is good.

Except that the Romulans are the only faction winning with Ascendancy. Granted, I don't think the Klingons are designed for an Ascendancy victory, but I would expect to see one from the Feds. But then, six games is also a poor sample size to draw any real conclusion from.

I've played klingon in 4 games so far and I have found that Ascendancy is incredibly difficult unless you get a bunch of culture nodes. The biggest issue is that their faction bonus discourages you from going into big fights because you are only getting 1 culture whether you kill 3 ships or 10 ships. Players can keep their ships in groups of 2 for area control or larger fleets and really hinder your culture progress. I kind of reminds me of strategies for dealing with Khorne players in Chaos in the Old World.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the federation should normally be more likely to win by ascendancy but i guess they are being targeted by the others to prevent it from happening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Lee
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played twice. Romulus won both. Once by Sepremacy and once by Ascendancy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Played 3.

Roms won once with Ascendancy and once with Suprememacy.

Fed won one with Ascendancy and almost won another the same way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaffak Landsdown
msg tools
Ive read alot of of session reports and it seems if the Romulans research Advanced Cloaking its pretty much a supremacy win for them soon. Is there a Counter to that Tech or is it OP ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
jaffak78 wrote:
Ive read alot of of session reports and it seems if the Romulans research Advanced Cloaking its pretty much a supremacy win for them soon. Is there a Counter to that Tech or is it OP ?

Feds have a counter tech that can exhaust it and one that negates all Romulan cloaking tech. And the Klingons can overwhelm them. But yeah, once they get it, they can run the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaffak Landsdown
msg tools
Dont see alot of Klingon victories in the session reports , are they badly played or at a disadvantage in almost every aspect of the game ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jaffak78 wrote:
Dont see alot of Klingon victories in the session reports , are they badly played or at a disadvantage in almost every aspect of the game ?

I suspect that their strength is also their weakness, in that they are easily seen as being the "strong" faction, and so the other players are psychologically inclined to ally against them. They're very obvious in their movements and methods, and so more easily countered.

They're probably the higher-skill faction of the starting three, since it would take a cunning and manipulative player to take full advantage of their strengths, and overcome their weaknesses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jaffak78 wrote:

an important factor in this game is that each player should always carefully consider the current game balance and act accordingly.

if you give too much freedom to one player he will likely win, the key is to shift alliances from turn to turn as needed to keep the others in check.

as a klingon you could for example attack the federation, while exhausting the romulans first strike tech to keep them in check.

it might be tempting to kick the one that's down but you should worry about the stronger one.

any faction can win based on how the balance is handled

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Doyle
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
to Counter Romulan Advanced Cloaking Tech.

As the Feds research the Tachyon detection array (Cardassians have an equivalent tech.) This prevents the use of cloaking tech.

Next, you can make use of Espionage tech to exhaust an opponents upgrade. for this you will have to go first before they get a chance to use their cloaking tech.

Finally, the Advanced Cloak Tech is an offensive tech. It doesn't provide any defensive advantages. If you are Klingon and if a Rom has targetted you, you need to go on the offensive. Last game we played the Klingon player was initially despondant (I know, not a very Klingon attitude). The romulans were harassing the hell out of the Klingon. Then finally the Klingon just took Romulus, and none of the cloaking tech was able to save the treacherous Rom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Novacat wrote:
jaffak78 wrote:

I suspect that their strength is also their weakness, in that they are easily seen as being the "strong" faction, and so the other players are psychologically inclined to ally against them. They're very obvious in their movements and methods, and so more easily countered.

They're probably the higher-skill faction of the starting three, since it would take a cunning and manipulative player to take full advantage of their strengths, and overcome their weaknesses.

The Klingons have the worst tech as well. It's very thematic but actually makes them the hardest to play. And all thier free ship tech actually messed me up. I ended up with a ton of ships spread out and when I needed to build 10 ship fleets I couldn't build them because so many of my ships were on the field.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Olympia
WA
flag msg tools
Vigilo Confido
badge
In the pipe, five by five...
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played 2 games so far:

1) Federation Supremacy victory (4 player game at GenCon)
2) Klingon Supremacy victory

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John1701 wrote:
The Klingons have the worst tech as well. It's very thematic but actually makes them the hardest to play. And all thier free ship tech actually messed me up. I ended up with a ton of ships spread out and when I needed to build 10 ship fleets I couldn't build them because so many of my ships were on the field.

I wonder if this mean the Klingons need to somehow plan in advance for these techs? Not sure how possible that is, not having played the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you are not forced to build those ships, also you can remove a ship from the board freely to rebuild it in another location by again paying the production cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
you are not forced to build those ships, also you can remove a ship from the board freely to rebuild it in another location by again paying the production cost.

I didn't know about the rebuilding. That would have helped me a lot.

I know that you don't have to build them, but I built them early on before I needed the big fleets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
its not in the rules, but GF9 specified it in the components thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.