Subject: How to draw more cards... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dora Emon
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So I'm new to this game and looking to improve my score. The most common advice is to draw more cards. My question is how? There's only a few common cards that allow you to produce cards and if they do come up, you hope no one takes it before you. As for faction cards, some have more opportunities than others but still, there's a chance they're at the bottom. Do you just make deals if you see cards with card deals come up? I just basically find it difficult to have opportunities to draw cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Settimelli
Portugal
Lisboa
flag msg tools
You can allways trade 2xpeople for 1 card
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dora Emon
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I keep forgetting that way! I guess that's the best use for people? (instead of getting resources). I keep using them to get resources more than cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan-Willem van Leeuwen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eilsybear wrote:
I keep forgetting that way! I guess that's the best use for people? (instead of getting resources). I keep using them to get resources more than cards.
Yeah, usually the purpose of workers is to draw cards, unless you really need them for a resource to build a crucial card.
Note that I usually am not able to draw all my faction cards, contrary to most expert people here. So I'm with you in the camp of people that wonder how to draw (even) more cards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn Schneider
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As already stated (I) rather use workers for cards. All factions have some kind of way to get cards through deals (though you have to be VERY careful as to which card you make a deal with in order to not destroy a strong faction combo, especially as Romans). Otherwise get many production buildings that produce workers and buildings like watchtower - or raze a watchtower of another player

If in question I'd almost always prefer a card that gives me workers over one that gives me sth else to build as well as to choose in the drafting phase, simply because having many cards is (potentially) just that more powerful than having many resources. Most of the games I've won were simply because I had 30+ cards left in my hand when other players started to run out of cards and workers on turn five. (Sadly enough this can turn a game into Imperial Solitaire if you're the only one left with actions to perform...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cru Jones
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could use some guidance on this issue.

Today I played as the Egyptians. They only get 3 workers as income. I drew no production cards. So I can only get one more card with only three worker. There were no deal cards for workers nor cards to be razed for cards.

I lost this game terribly because of no production.

How would you get more cards when there's no apparent way to do so?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ponder Stibbons
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
I give myself very good advice, But I very seldom follow it. That explains the trouble that I'm always in.
mbmbmbmbmb
crujones33 wrote:

Today I played as the Egyptians. They only get 3 workers as income. I drew no production cards. So I can only get one more card with only three worker. There were no deal cards for workers nor cards to be razed for cards.

if you have expansions, then try building a deck (using the recommended method in the rules) to include more workers and/or more card draws. remember not to bloat the common deck with multiple expansions. pile shuffle to increase chances of a fair distribution of resources, then probably a riffle (or other) shuffle to further randomize. i find it helps to do all the above while standing on one foot humming Mozart on a Tuesday (ymmv).

if that fails a dozen times, come back here and i'll think of something better to hum. i've had good luck with Vampire Weekend once or twice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cru Jones
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rumbelow wrote:
if you have expansions, then try building a deck (using the recommended method in the rules) to include more workers and/or more card draws. remember not to bloat the common deck with multiple expansions.

Sorry, I have no expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ponder Stibbons
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
I give myself very good advice, But I very seldom follow it. That explains the trouble that I'm always in.
mbmbmbmbmb
crujones33 wrote:
Rumbelow wrote:
if you have expansions, then try building a deck (using the recommended method in the rules) to include more workers and/or more card draws. remember not to bloat the common deck with multiple expansions.

Sorry, I have no expansions.

good shuffles can happen even without expansions. bad shuffles can happen even after you purchase expansions. the real test is how well you play the situation you are dealt this time.

it's a card game. try again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cru Jones
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the search for better cards, is it better to draw common or faction cards when given a choice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Winston Spencer
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crujones33 wrote:
In the search for better cards, is it better to draw common or faction cards when given a choice?

Faction, it is where your main engine and combos are. Draw common only if necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sar Athas
msg tools
crujones33 wrote:

Sometimes the first round just does not give you what you need. If there is no production at all, remember you always have 3 faction cards on your hand at the beginning of the game. Egyptians can turn at least one of them into a deal without any effort, giving you at least some additional production. If nothing else helps, look out for cards that have a good raze value and build cheap stuff, hoping to get better cards in the next round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cru Jones
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess my biggest problem is wanting to build all of my cards in my opening hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.