5 Posts

Fortress America» Forums » General

Subject: GameMaster vs FantisyFlight rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thoma Mattox

Indiana
msg tools
Finally in a place to get this game (have wanted it for 30 years)... Personally like the box size of the original (it matches with the other GameMaster boxes I have). Just wanted to know if there really is a huge difference in the two versions? On the surface, it looks like some cities have moved and some pieces are different. I have never played before...which plays "better"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Milster
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmb
No, there's not a huge difference between the two versions. The optional invader cards (FF) may make a huge difference, but most people don't play with them.

The borders in the GM version can be a little unclear. The FF fixed some (most?) of them. But there's a post (here) by the game designer to clear things up. For example in the GM version, the map seemed to indicate that the invader could go past the Golden Gate bridge to invade inland. But not in the FF version. The maps are the same for movement purposes with the designers post. For combat, cities and mountains require combined arms, so there may be a slight difference there. The relocation of the cities, i think, makes for a better balance between the invaders.

The biggest change may be that in the FF version the mechanized units can transport an infantry unit. This makes it easier to move infantry around and get combined arms. Some people don't like it, but i prefer it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kalk
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Most players agree that the relocated cities provide a more balanced game; in the hands of an experienced player, the GM version significantly favours the US side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Glass
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have both, played both, like the FF version as better balanced. US wins roughly 60% now vs 90% plus in old version, assuming good US player.

AVOID! Repeat AVOID! using the invader cards. There are several combos that win the game for the invaders, period. Make sure you get the map clarifications, the ones they could have corrected before printing, but left so others could argue about them. Poor quality control to say the least, but being as the GM version had them too, maybe they were just being consistent... consistently poor quality control!
Ron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Crispi
United States
North Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What map clarifications? I can't find them.

thanks,

Paul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.