Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Smith
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had an idea for a game that would be part area control, but instead of a static map, the areas would simply be cards.

The cards themselves wouldn't even be arranged as a map in the center of the table; instead, each player would have the cards/areas they controlled in a tableau in front of themselves.

Within a player's tableau, card arrangement matters and the cards are connected to each other through their position in the tableau. A players units would be placed on cards and moved within their own tableau in a more "traditional" way. Additionally, each card/area possesses a "terrain type", and between opposing player's tableaus, cards are connected by terrain type.

Players would be able to attack/raid/exploit their opponent's cards/areas simply by exploring similar terrain, and then using that connection to march their units over.

I'm digging into the idea of each player building their tableau and being in their own little world, while always being within "striking distance" of an opponent. Think Among the Stars + Kemet.

Games like Small World and Scythe do something similar with mines, but not exactly. Does anyone know of any other games with this twist?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Somewhat in a similar vein (but with pyramids, not cards) is the dynamic topology of connections between star systems in Homeworlds. Two stars are adjacent if they do not have a pyramid of the same size. (Stars can consist of one or two pyramids, which come in three sizes.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smash Up - the locations and their relations might not be as in depth as your looking for but its a popular area control with cards that may share some useful comparisons

Battle Line - I don't know more than a quick skim but could be relevant
Loot - could be relateable, if you consider the mercent ships the locations

I think you should also check out Spyrium as I think how it uses cards to build the board may be very interesting to you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Doomtown: Reloaded is a card game with combat and area control where movement is affected by card position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The first thing that came to my mind was Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game, but its "combat"/area control aspects are on a pool of randomized cards in the middle, not any kind of player-built tableau.

It sounds like a neat idea and I'd be interested in seeing it developed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea, I like the sound of it. Do you have a theme? The "terrain type" made me think of a fantasy theme, but the thoughts that occurred to me were something based on The Long Earth series of books (or the short story they were based on) or wormholes / jumpgates between star systems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Warhammer 40,000: Conquest is pretty much area combat/control without a map.

Also Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game, in which you control "arenas" and fight by tackling and injuring players on the opposing team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
wamsp wrote:
Doomtown: Reloaded is a card game with combat and area control where movement is affected by card position.

Doomtown: Reloaded is so perfect an example I wish I'd thought of it.

Players construct their side of town using deed cards, and the game is won by having enough control points. The players' deeds are linked by adjacency and by the "town square" area which is the middle of the playing surface. The area control aspect comes in through players being able to steal their opponents' control points by occupying the deed cards with their own dude cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Smith
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
Interesting idea, I like the sound of it. Do you have a theme? The "terrain type" made me think of a fantasy theme, but the thoughts that occurred to me were something based on The Long Earth series of books (or the short story they were based on) or wormholes / jumpgates between star systems.

I haven't worked on it very much; I'm still in the ideas phase and wanted to get some outside thoughts. A sci-fi theme w/ instantaneous travel is a good fit that I haven't explored. I just used terrain because is sounded the most generic.

Each card could have around the edges a "terrain type" (planets primary biome, main star sequence, whatever if we are talking sci-fi) which could be a single type repeated on all 4 sides, or it might have some combination of types.

The idea is that the player uses some action to explore the card/area and construct a linkage (warpgate) to a place they already control. The card is then placed wherever the player wants in their tableau. The card is considered to be connected to its orthogonal neighbors in the player's tableau, but the sides that are exposed/unlinked are linked to all other like terrains.

Additionally, the terrains might be linked to a an area's primary product/resource and so linking a card requires the player to balance exposing their territory to a hostile enemy vs getting the goods they need.

Shrug... just throwing ideas around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
supafrieke wrote:
Shrug... just throwing ideas around.

They seem like good ideas. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Smith
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
Smash Up - the locations and their relations might not be as in depth as your looking for but its a popular area control with cards that may share some useful comparisons

Battle Line - I don't know more than a quick skim but could be relevant
Loot - could be relateable, if you consider the mercent ships the locations

I think you should also check out Spyrium as I think how it uses cards to build the board may be very interesting to you

I have played both Smash Up and Blood Bowl: Team Manager. They do seem to do something similar and look like good places to flesh out ideas about combat.

What I like the most in those games is the "slow" development of the combat. Players commit forces and are able to respond before resolution; and at least with 3+ competitive players, players are having to balance how much force they commit to any battlefront.

So sticking with the sci-fi theme, what if each card is a planetary system and like Smash Up, the system can only support X units. Once the number/strength of units exceeds X, the players resolve combat using units in the system + some cards held in reserve to determine a winner.

Or with BB: Team Manager as the primary influence, there might be strategic locations in each system and players are actually fighting to control those locations. Control might move back and forth during the struggle with a resolution after someone holds the position for a number of turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Coasters

uses a similar idea:
You move your ships around on your planet.
If you move two ships next to a teleporter (one to each side), you may teleport a third ship from your teleporter to one of the "border" spaces of an opposing planet.
(Speaking of it, you need two ships next to any teleporter to port a ship from that teleporter to another planet. Actually, porting a ship from an opposing planet back to your planet is the goal of the game ...)

Kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Terminator CCG: Best map ever. Each player has a hand of locations and plays locations that their characters are on, on their side of the board. However, characters can only attack or otherwise interact with opponent characters if they are on the same location space (eg. Earl's Gun Shop). Since you can't see the cards your opponent is holding, but he knows where your characters are, there's a good amount of tension in the game.

Up Front: No map, just terrain. Mimics the tension of searching dangerous unmapped areas of WWII. Terrain cards are part of the deck, and you play terrain on yourself or your opponent when they're moving. Get them into a river, start firing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Emu Prime wrote:
wamsp wrote:

Doomtown: Reloaded is so perfect an example I wish I'd thought of it.

Players construct their side of town using deed cards, and the game is won by having enough control points. The players' deeds are linked by adjacency and by the "town square" area which is the middle of the playing surface. The area control aspect comes in through players being able to steal their opponents' control points by occupying the deed cards with their own dude cards.

Yeah, that was the first thing that came to mind.

Plenty of other CCGs do it ... in different ways.

Legend of the Five Rings

Shadowfist

7th Sea Collectible Card Game

... and then there's

Illuminati: New World Order ... where it's not strictly a location map, but a map of relationships.

edit.

And there's also Netrunner, but the map is really servers and the ICE that protects them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Theres a few.

Battlechrome wayyy back used a card tableau as the range and terrain mocds.

Numerous battler games dont use range in the normal sense or at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.