The King Is Dead» Forums » Rules

Subject: Keeping followers hidden rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shabazz
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Might be a dumb question but haven't found this in the rules: do players keep the follower cubes in their hand hidden or are they out in the open so everyone knows at each instance which faction they are strongest in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark von Minden
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
izajsek wrote:
Might be a dumb question but haven't found this in the rules: do players keep the follower cubes in their hand hidden or are they out in the open so everyone knows at each instance which faction they are strongest in?

Followers are kept open, as are cards previously played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Molloy
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mb
mrkvm wrote:
izajsek wrote:

Followers are kept open, as are cards previously played.

The *most recently played card* is open information, as is the number of cards played, but not necessarily every card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Cubes and cards are perfectly trackable; it seems rather silly to try and hide that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Corrigan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Ich bin Eier aller Arten
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps you are asking the question as you misunderstand that the crux of this game is patience, negotiation and cunning play - not subterfuge or misinformation. Certainly, if someone is inattentive others will have an intrinsic advantage but, that is a given in almost any human endeavor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I see no mention of negotiation anywhere in the rules and in fact in the partnership game there is an explicit statement calling out that players are not allowed to discuss strategy or tactics during the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Corrigan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Ich bin Eier aller Arten
mbmbmbmbmb
dkeisen wrote:
I see no mention of negotiation anywhere in the rules and in fact in the partnership game there is an explicit statement calling out that players are not allowed to discuss strategy or tactics during the game.

There is no rule against negotiating with ones opponents, within your own "team" in the four player variant - yes (but that is different game, a variant which I do not play, but I suppose it reflects the poor to no communication and the inability to coordinate between your factions in the period of the game - the dark ages - as does the fact that different parts of different peoples ally differently amount players factions) and again you are free to negotiate with your opponents even in that variant.
I find it odd that this is not in your purview particularly as this game is about influence, power and surrogates - it is perhaps really more like the game "Diplomacy" than perhaps you have grokked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I suggest that if the rules do not explicitly permit negotiation then negotiation is not allowed by the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Krsnaji wrote:
Perhaps you are asking the question as you misunderstand that the crux of this game is patience, negotiation and cunning play

If you play the game as a negotiation game, then the crux of the game may include negotiation. Heck, any game one plays as a negotiation game probably includes negotiation at its crux. But this game certainly doesn't need it to function spectacularly well.

Those other things, though...patience and especially cunning play...yeah those I agree with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Corrigan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Ich bin Eier aller Arten
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
I suggest that if the rules do not explicitly permit negotiation then negotiation is not allowed by the rules.
Do the rules "explicit" permit talking? Giving game threats, Can you state what you think will happen if another player does something ... if? no ? That would amount to being outside of the "explicit" rules- as negotiation?
Silly Silly too Silly.
Do game rules "explicitly permit" you to sit - At a table - at the same time. Only what is "explicitly" permitted is both a rather practically silly fallacy but the spirit of the whole idea also limits both creative thinking and interaction.
You you should try a good three player negotiations in this game. It is far more interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Corrigan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Ich bin Eier aller Arten
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonwocky wrote:
Krsnaji wrote:
Perhaps you are asking the question as you misunderstand that the crux of this game is patience, negotiation and cunning play

If you play the game as a negotiation game, then the crux of the game may include negotiation. Heck, any game one plays as a negotiation game probably includes negotiation at its crux. But this game certainly doesn't need it to function spectacularly well.

Those other things, though...patience and especially cunning play...yeah those I agree with.

I agree that it is a fine game even if you don't make and break deals. We have just found that negotiation adds some interesting facets to its play and does not detract at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
Krsnaji wrote:
You you should try a good three player negotiations in this game. It is far more interesting.
Three players is not a good number for negotiating. The game has rules to minimize kingmaking, negotiation just amps up the kingmaking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Krsnaji wrote:
..but the spirit of the whole idea also limits both creative thinking and interaction.

If you want to communicate to the other players then use your board moves as your only language for that communication. You'll find that doing so opens up new realms of creativity, interaction and subtlety.

Quote:

I have. It wasn't, not even close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Corrigan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Ich bin Eier aller Arten
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Krsnaji wrote:
..but the spirit of the whole idea also limits both creative thinking and interaction.

If you want to communicate to the other players then use your board moves as your only language for that communication. You'll find that doing so opens up new realms of creativity, interaction and subtlety.

Quote:

I have. It wasn't, not even close.

I'm sorry that your crew did not grok this but prefer an alternative norm. Whatever floats your boat. Also since you clearly do not play in my group's norms of play to you presume our limitation are the same as yours, n'est-ce pas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've no interest or care in norms, just the minimal definition which fits within the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Molloy
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mb
I agree that negotiation is of limited value in the game, but I've certainly benefited in the three player game from pointing out another player's position of strength, and my own inability to do anything about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play with better players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps he is content playing with the people he likes? Gaming is a social activity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Many games don't support sloppy/careless play and this is one such. Specifically, the game works to the degree that the players are attentive, thoughtful and aggressively use every bit of information they have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Molloy
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mb
clearclaw wrote:

Well, I commissioned the game, and in the last game I played I beat the designer, so I'm content with the group I've got.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunc wrote:
clearclaw wrote:

Well, I commissioned the game, and in the last game I played I beat the designer, so I'm content with the group I've got.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Corrigan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Ich bin Eier aller Arten
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Many games don't support sloppy/careless play and this is one such. Specifically, the game works to the degree that the players are attentive, thoughtful and aggressively use every bit of information they have.

Well you've shown your colors now, haven't you lad?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.