Subject: Goods tracker movement - Rio Grande vs Grail Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
8-bit Matt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the most recent Rio Grande version, the rules provided for moving the goods trackers either when lots are loaded on ships (i.e. during auction round) OR during end-of-round scoring.

I noticed that the new Grail Games version doesn't mention the auction round movement option (unless I missed it...), and I prefer doing it that way.

I'm curious--how do you all handle tracking?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We wait until all ships are full. Then we conduct goods token movement followed by computing all scores beginning with ship totals. Then goods types one at a time.

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dklx3 wrote:
We wait until all ships are full. Then we conduct goods token movement followed by computing all scores beginning with ship totals. Then goods types one at a time.

This is what we do also. Moving the trackers as every lot gets bought is fraught with difficulty. It's too easy to miss one. (Of course, you may have someone in your group who can perform this task without error, in which case you may find the other approach works.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
8-bit Matt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that it's easier to make mistakes with the in-round approach. I prefer it as it makes it easier to centrally see where everyone stands throughout the game and speeds play a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We've only played a few times, and we found that he game actually moves faster if we move the counters at the end of each auction (i.e. in-round). The reason I say that is because so much of the game is seeing who is ahead in each commodity, and if you elect to only move the counters at the end of the round, you have to do a lot more peeking at your opponents' ships. (Before each move, you want to have an idea about 7 things per opponent --- the total florins that they own, total value of goods on their ship, and their overall total of each of five commodities). So much easier if the information for 6 of those 7 items (i.e. totals for each of five commodities and total florins) is right in front of you, on the board, instead of having to calculate five of these values by adding the total on the board to the total of each ship, and keeping track of all that --- also, keeps things more visual.

Particularly if you're playing with kids, keeping the counters moving makes it SO much easier. Just make sure that you decide the order in which to move counters. (We do: first lower your points by the price paid for the auction, then move each commodity tracker up, then place the card in your boat). Just my 2 cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.