Hide
11 Posts

Epic Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: quick combat question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blake W
msg tools
Okay so having looked over the rules multiple times and watching gameplay videos I just have 2 simple questions that I'm sure I'm just misinterpreting.

1. -When attacking, say i have a 2/2, 3/3, and 4/4. I attack with all 3 for total of 9/9 (with no flying, breakthrough, etc.). Defender declares one 3/3 blocker, no events being played in this scenario. Would I deal 9 damage to his 3/3 and he deals 3 to one champion of his choice? Or would it be I choose my 3/3 to deal 3 damage to his 3/3 and his 3/3 deals 3 damage to my 3/3. And then the remaining 6 goes to him?

2. Can I declare one attacker, then once that resolves, declare another, resolve, so on and so on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bwheeler278 wrote:
1. -When attacking, say i have a 2/2, 3/3, and 4/4. I attack with all 3 for total of 9/9 (with no flying, breakthrough, etc.). Defender declares one 3/3 blocker, no events being played in this scenario. Would I deal 9 damage to his 3/3 and he deals 3 to one champion of his choice? Or would it be I choose my 3/3 to deal 3 damage to his 3/3 and his 3/3 deals 3 damage to my 3/3. And then the remaining 6 goes to him?

Here's the relevant bit of the rules, from the part about the Battle phase:

Epic Rule Book page 14 wrote:
Attacking champions deal damage to blocking champions (or to the defending player if the attack wasn’t blocked). Blocking champions deal damage to attacking champions. The player who controls a champion decides where it deals its damage. They may split damage up however they like.

So you have 9 damage to distribute how you like between your opponent's champions. Your opponent has 3 damage to distribute how they like between your champions. They'll probably choose to kill either your 2/2 or 3/3. You can't hit your opponent directly, because they blocked.

When I teach the game, it's easy to explain this, because I've got a little stack of red crystals. If someone has 9 total combat, I hand them 9 crystals, and tell them these represent damage and they can put any of them wherever they like on the defenders...

Breakthrough is an exception to this rule. If you have any breakthrough attackers, check to see if you can hurt your opponent directly. Add up all the combat on your breakthrough attackers, subtract all the defence on all your opponent's blockers. If you have any left over, that's done directly to your opponent's life total.

bwheeler278 wrote:
2. Can I declare one attacker, then once that resolves, declare another, resolve, so on and so on?

Yep! And you often will do your combats that way - since as above it stops one little human token stopping your whole army (albeit getting completely squished in the process). Here's the relevant bit of the rules, from the same page:

Epic Rule Book page 14 wrote:
The attacking player resumes step 3 of their turn. They may attack again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuel Fratila
Romania
Timisoara
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. "Or would it be I choose my 3/3 to deal 3 damage to his 3/3 and his 3/3 deals 3 damage to my 3/3. And then the remaining 6 goes to him?" this is exactly how you are supposed to play your cards.
If you attack with a group of champions, and your opponent can block just 1 champion, then the entire attack is blocked.
So for better results, attack with a weak champion, your opponent will try to block, and then if he has no more blockers, you can attack with an entire group, for maximum damage.
2. Yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake W
msg tools
thanks everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RipTail wrote:
attack with a weak champion, your opponent will try to block, and then if he has no more blockers, you can attack with an entire group, for maximum damage

Not always the best strategy - opponent may use blockers like Plentiful Dead to block from nowhere. Unless you fear Ceasefire, and that's basically the only thing to worry about in this blockerless kinda situation, attack one at a time...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
v b
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Say the OP's 3/3 champion had flying...
How would that change things? Does the opponent need a flying champion to be able to assign damage to the 3/3 ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Newton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skrell wrote:
How would that change things? Does the opponent need a flying champion to be able to assign damage to the 3/3 ?

Not if OP still attacks with all of the champions in single a group. Flying (and unblockable) only matter when figuring you if a group can be blocked, but if any member of the attacking group is blocked, all of them will join in combat against defenders and all of them can be damaged.

If you attack with a group that is all flying and unblockable, then your group cannot be blocked by regular champions, only flying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
v b
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ThinkingThatsAll wrote:
Skrell wrote:

Not if OP still attacks with all of the champions in single a group. Flying (and unblockable) only matter when figuring you if a group can be blocked, but if any member of the attacking group is blocked, all of them will join in combat against defenders and all of them can be damaged.

If you attack with a group that is all flying and unblockable, then your group cannot be blocked by regular champions, only flying.

So you can visualize this as the flying champions "fly down to the ground" to join the combat with their teammates(who are all ground based)"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yep, exactly. They are moving as a group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Bucheger
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Here's a question concerning multiple attackers, some with breakthrough. If I have enough damage from non-breakthough champions to kill my opponent's champions, can breakthrough deal full damage to the opponent? Or is it still Breakthrough Offense minus blocking Defense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
v b
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
commodore vendari wrote:
Here's a question concerning multiple attackers, some with breakthrough. If I have enough damage from non-breakthough champions to kill my opponent's champions, can breakthrough deal full damage to the opponent? Or is it still Breakthrough Offense minus blocking Defense?

Yes, it is still Breakthrough Offense minus blocking Defense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.