Master of Orion: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Rules review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anton R.
Russia
flag msg tools
mb
Russian version is available for preorder in local stores. And there is rules in russian at game page.

http://hobbygames.ru/master-of-orion
http://hobbygames.ru/download/rules/Master_of_Orion_rulebook...

So here is short english summary for bgg community.

Game lasts 8 turns.

There are 5 tracks for each player: supply, fleet, production, loyalty, victory points. Starting numbers depend on race you choose. Also races differ with bonuses they gain performing some kind of actions.

Each round you gain resourses depending on your board and get some number of actions - cubes. Players spend a cube to make a play, one by one, until everyone spends all their cubes. The more resourses you have - the more action you can perform, but you have to pay some upkeep in this case as well.

Available actions are following:

Build - pay card cost to play it from hand to your board. (aka Innovation meld) You add extra card to your system, and benefit from its production and bonuses next turns. There is important restriction that you can have only 4 active cards (systems) simulteniously but you can play a new card over old one (not more than 5 cards per each system). You replace their bonus and ablility with new one but previous card still gives you a production. (aka Innovation splay)
Exploit - discard a card to get instant resourses. Similar to Raise from Imperial Settlers. All cards are one of four colors and grant resourses based on their color.
Blue - gain 3 supply
Red - gain 2 fleet
Yellow - gain 1 production
Grey - draw 4 cards. Discard one of them
Research - draw 2 cards.
Activate - use one of your active cards. Majority of cards can be activated once per round.
Attack - if you have a fleet equal or greater then your opponent you can attack him. His loyalty drops and you gain victory points and lose some fleet.
Trade - Exchange some resourses you own for an other kind.
Propaganda - Gain 3 loyalty. Once per round.
Make a deal - Discard 3 cards from hand to get an adviser - one of unique cards that does not count into your limit of systems. Players can get a choosen adviser from shared pool not from deck. You can not have more then one adviser though, if you want another one you can return yours to pool and take a new one by this action.
There are 8 advisers in box, but you use only random 5 for every game.

In the end of round there is check for end of game condition (8 rounds or eliminated player (zero or lower loyalty) or player with 20 planets), discarding phase - down to 5 cards except one race with extra hand limit) (at least I don't need to play with 20+ cards hand like I do with Innovation or Imperial settlers), clear-up phase - discard cubes, markers e.t.c. When end of game condition happens everyone adds their loyalty and VP on buildings to their VP track. Then player with the most victory points wins. Tiebreakers are loyalty and then sum of resourses.

As result I would like to say the game definetly hooked me despite it has not much similarities with original MOO. I enjoy that kind of card games (RftG, Innovation, IS) very much and look forward to try this one. Will probabbly write some review when I get my copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel H
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the links, and for the summary for those of us who don't read Russian! I was skeptical about this game at first, but now I'm cautiously optimistic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That actually sounds interesting. I like how Fleet isn't based on a dice roll and that everyone takes one action until everyone runs out. It keeps everyone engaged.

My only concern is the potential AP issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Are there other restriction on attacking or defensive responses you can make?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton R.
Russia
flag msg tools
mb
There is restriction on number attack you can perfom against one player.
It depends on total number of players:
4p: 1 against each opponent;
3p: maximum of 2 per opponent;
2p: 3 attacks are allowed.
Players marks opponents they attack putting action cube on opponents board.

That's all about rules. I think that additional interactions can be found in cards.
For example there is leader that gives you 2 additional fleet when you atttack so you can perform an attack with lower fleet. Another adviser grants you an extra-action for next turn after succsesful attack. And some other card hits extra loyalty on attack.
I suppose there are defencive mechanics as well but I have not found any examples in spoilers yet.

UPD: I looked through FAQ section and there is yellow card named Star Fortress. FAQ says "Effect of this cards happens after every time opponent attacks you." So that should be it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton R.
Russia
flag msg tools
mb
There are some spoilers on site as well. Here is translation for this player boards and cards.

Humans.
Generic race with no super powers.

Alkari.
You start the game with 1 VP.
At start of round you can lose 1 VP to gain action cube.

Bulrathi.
High mobilization level gives you 4 cubes and production or 2 fleet. There is no loyalty upkeep.

I have to say that mobilization level depends on highest resourse you have. If you have 5 or more resourse of any kind - you have medium mobilization. 7+ are and you high mobilized.

Psilons.
Researching gives you 3 cards instead of 2.

Darlocks.
When you play propaganda action every opponent discards a card from hand, then you take any card from top 3 cards of discard pile.

Mrrshans.
Gain one fleet whenever you exploit.

Meklars.
Medium mobilization gives you a card.
Your hand limit is 6.

Jump gate.
[In the end of game] Gain 1 VP for every [red] card.
Cannot be built with loyalty lower then 6.

Moldred. (Adviser)
[activate] Name 2 colors. Discard 5 cards taking cards of named color in hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And for those who does not live in Russia and does not read Russian, will the game be available elsewhere in the world in other language (Preferably english)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton R.
Russia
flag msg tools
mb
I heard there will be boxes in english for sale at Spiel16.

I don't know what is futher release plan of HobbyWorld though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The game seems pretty neat, I must say, even without the theming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asaf Hamtzany
msg tools
gozik wrote:
I heard there will be boxes in english for sale at Spiel16.

I don't know what is futher release plan of HobbyWorld though.

Spiel16 Means Essen 16? In October?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton R.
Russia
flag msg tools
mb
Yep, I mean Essen.

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/193588/item/4825083#item48...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asaf Hamtzany
msg tools
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas P. Felder
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Event's name is "SPIEL16". Essen is only the name of the city.
That's like calling the GenCon "Indianapolis". :-)

It became probably a synonym because most international board game geeks don't attach any other importance to the city then the fair... laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sternenfahrer-MUC wrote:
The Event's name is "SPIEL16". Essen is only the name of the city.
That's like calling the GenCon "Indianapolis". :-)

It became probably a synonym because most international board game geeks don't attach any other importance to the city then the fair... laugh

Probably similar to how San Diego becomes synonymous with Comic-Con when the event date approaches.

GenCon is also a weird bird because it's short for the Geneva Convention (that international agreement regarding diplomacy, armed conflict and torture), since the original location was Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. So in a way, GenCon does have the same referential relationship as Essen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas P. Felder
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't aware of that fact! :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai B.
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Will there be a german version in the future or maybe at Spiel '16?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Byrd
United States
Box Elder
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How are those of us in the US supposed to get a hold of an English version of this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sblendorio
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
laughlaugh

https://www.cryptozoic.com/articles/master-orion-board-game-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When can we expect Master of Orion: The Board Game: The App?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.