Subject: FoE Vs Forbidden Island ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
v b
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know there is already a thread talking about the similarities between this game and Forbidden island but now that the kickstarter and GenCon has ended I was hoping to start collecting more detailed thoughts on which of these 2 games are preferable and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hamilton
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played FoE (as a disclaimer) but played a lot of FI as it was our.. 3rd game maybe.
FoE would appear to have three big advantages (to me):
1) The board is going to be shaped differently each time and you get to see it grow as you explore
2) The characters are more complex with their one time abilities.
3) The scenarios (unlocked as stretch goals) probably will add a lot of replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jamesjacques wrote:

I haven't played FoE (as a disclaimer) but played a lot of FI as it was our.. 3rd game maybe.
FoE would appear to have three big advantages (to me):
1) The board is going to be shaped differently each time and you get to see it grow as you explore
2) The characters are more complex with their one time abilities.
3) The scenarios (unlocked as stretch goals) probably will add a lot of replayability.

I have played both (FoE PnP version), and this is very accurate.

I'd add that there is no hand management for the pieces that you are collecting. There is a subtle but very real difference of drawing random tiles and placing the pieces there vs. drawing random pieces at the end of every turn and having to get together for trading (although you can and do trade some in FoE as well). It adds a layer of depth to the game to decide if you're going to waste time picking up pieces your character isn't suited for or leave them for someone else to get. You don't randomly get "Get Out of Jail Free" cards because of it, though.

Also, to expand on the point about exploration, you can't just go anywhere you want, because of the walls and doors. Determining how to explore and build the map is an important layer of strategy in FoE. You want to have multiple routes to and from places or you can end up losing the game by cutting off whole sections of the map with the loss of one tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.