Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: Help with Federation build (New player) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
danny bennet
msg tools
mbmb
Hey folks!

Recently got into this game with my flat mates and I'm looking to build the best possible fleet I can with the expansions and cards that I have.

So far ive been doing ok against my flat mates Romulan and Borg fleets but they are getting the best of me so I could use some advice!

I have the starter set eterprise
USS Voyager
The delta flyer
USS Reliant

Plus I have the elite talent card Infiltration and the crew card Dmitri Valtane (3 cost)

We have 3 ship minimum 130 point games.

Whats the best I can do here with what I have available?

Im CONSIDERING spending a little bit more to pick up the tiny prise expansion but im just not sure I want to sink any deeper into this money hole but I would if I got a lot out of it!

Thanks for any and all help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome!
Here's one direction you could go; I assume you're also playing with a 50-point max, in which case the Delta Flyer is just there to get more points onto Voyager. Both ships are designed to be fairly tanky, and Picard can get off a good Battlstations/Sacrificed transphasics strike that should devastate almost anything that isn't Borg.

U.S.S. Enterprise-D [28]
- Tuvok 5 (Captain) [3]
- - Unimatrix Shielding [4]
- Antimatter Mines [5]
- Miles O'Brien [2]
- Tom Paris [4]
Ship Total: 46 SP

U.S.S. Voyager [30]
- Ablative Generator [10]
- Transphasic Torpedoes [10]
Ship Total: 50 SP

Delta Flyer [20]
- Jean-Luc Picard 9 (Captain) [6]
- - Sacrifice [5]
- Pavel Chekov [3]
Ship Total: 34 SP

Fleet Total: 130 SP

Generated by Utopia
http://kfnexus.github.io/staw-utopia/

I definitely felt like I was squandering points as I made this (Sacrifice? Really?), which is a sign that you'd benefit from another ship or two. The Tinyprise probably is indeed your best choice for both variety and power; Sulu and Cheat Death are still two of the Feds' best cards, Spock and Scotty synergize decently with Picard, and you can put Janeway on the ship itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
danny bennet
msg tools
mbmb
Wow thank you for the help! That looks really good, could you give me a quick run down of how tactic-fully you would go about using this fleet build?

Like do I just dump all the cards from delta straight onto voyager etc?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
United Kingdom
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
mbmbmbmbmb
Guessing from the setup it would probably first turn dock with Voyager and transfer Picard and Chekov (he is such a good combo with voyagers 360 aux). Use the Ent-D to drop antimatter mines on anything you do not like with Miles to disable something important.

As Evan said, use voyager to launch a huge transphasic hit to wreck something or at least leave it in a bad way next turn.

Given the 360 arcs your best bet is to blast past the romulan ships and make use of your 360 attack while behind them.

The Delta flyer can also make a very nice lifeboat for voyager, when things look to be about to go south jump picard and chekov back onto it and start shooting with whatever the delta flyer has left.

Here is the utopia set viewer if you did not know about it, lists what cards come with what expansions and will help you if you decide to blow some more money on little plastic space ships:
http://kfnexus.github.io/staw-utopia/set-viewer.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Typheron wrote:
Guessing from the setup it would probably first turn dock with Voyager and transfer Picard and Chekov (he is such a good combo with voyagers 360 aux). Use the Ent-D to drop antimatter mines on anything you do not like with Miles to disable something important.

As Evan said, use voyager to launch a huge transphasic hit to wreck something or at least leave it in a bad way next turn.

Given the 360 arcs your best bet is to blast past the romulan ships and make use of your 360 attack while behind them.

The Delta flyer can also make a very nice lifeboat for voyager, when things look to be about to go south jump picard and chekov back onto it and start shooting with whatever the delta flyer has left.

Here is the utopia set viewer if you did not know about it, lists what cards come with what expansions and will help you if you decide to blow some more money on little plastic space ships:
http://kfnexus.github.io/staw-utopia/set-viewer.html

This, exactly. In organized play, one would typically load up Voyager in the first round and then leave the shuttle there indefinitely; since such games often end with both players still having ships on the board, it's often easier to eke out a scoring advantage by taking the DF's 20 points out of the equation. (Come to think of it, maybe that build also wants Paris on the DF/Voyager instead of Enterprise)

That said, if you're doing an untimed fight to the death I suppose you might as well have the DF give its all. With that in mind, here's a slightly different version:

U.S.S. Enterprise-D [28]
- Tuvok 5 (Captain) [3]
- - Unimatrix Shielding [4]
- Antimatter Mines [5]
- Miles O'Brien [2]
Ship Total: 42 SP

U.S.S. Voyager [30]
- Clark Terell 2 (Captain) [1]
- Immersion Shielding [3]
- Transphasic Torpedoes [10]
- Pavel Chekov [3]
Ship Total: 47 SP

Delta Flyer [20]
- Jean-Luc Picard 9 (Captain) [6]
- - Sacrifice [5]
- Parametallic Hull Plating [2]
- Photon Torpedoes [4]
- Tom Paris [4]
Ship Total: 41 SP

Fleet Total: 130 SP

Generated by Utopia
http://kfnexus.github.io/staw-utopia/

(Frankly I prefer Photonic Missiles, but that unused point was staring at me disapprovingly)
What you'd do in this case is leave the weapon, hull plating, and Terrell on the DF so it can fend for itself and maybe give a nice little defensive buff to your capital ships. But to be honest I don't know much about shuttle combat, so grain of salt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
United Kingdom
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
mbmbmbmbmb
kobold47 wrote:
(Frankly I prefer Photonic Missiles, but that unused point was staring at me disapprovingly)

Remember that if you have less points than the other player you automatically have initiative on them, so if you went up against another skill 9 captain, your picard is shooting first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True! Although he's already got initiative over Borg and Romulan, unless one of them underbuilds too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt I
msg tools
mbmbmb
Typheron wrote:
kobold47 wrote:

Remember that if you have less points than the other player you automatically have initiative on them, so if you went up against another skill 9 captain, your picard is shooting first.

Firing is simultaneous.
If you have initiative and you and your opponent have a captain at the same initiative, during setup you would place first, and during the activation step you would move first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrDumbAzCanB wrote:
Typheron wrote:
kobold47 wrote:

Firing is simultaneous.
If you have initiative and you and your opponent have a captain at the same initiative, during setup you would place first, and during the activation step you would move first.

Technically he still fires first and if your ship with the same captain skill is destroyed, you can still fire before you go poof.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.