Magic: The Gathering» Forums » General

Subject: an old question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Piotr Slugocki
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi guys, I know there are so many similar threads like this one, but since there are some expansions on the way and all I think my situation is a little bit different, I decided to ask you something.

What to buy as a beginner, I mean I've played some tcgs like YGO! (about 10 years ago) and some Duel Masters (6 years ago). My goal is to mainly play with my girlfriend (she does not have a deck as well), and occasionally play at my local game store. I ask about it because i know there are many formats, I'm inetrested in the most popular ones. I know nothing about deckbuilding in this game.

Please take note that I'm new to this and it will take some time before I head to a game store and try out my deck at a tournament. I'm not interested in buying singles at first.

Me and my gf do not know what types of decks/playstyle we prefer.

Thanks for all the answers in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Regs
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are interested in Magic, but aren't sure it's a good game for you or your group - I would encourage you to try it out.

On the computer you can find Duals of the Planeswalkers on Steam, X-box and PSN. The game does a good job of teaching you the basics, and allows for some deckbuilding.

If you prefer to start the game on Paper, find some intro-decks or starting next month the new 'planeswalker' decks. Get one per person involved and throw down with those.

If you've already done step 1 above - then you are probably ready to next level it. For a limited experience find deckbuilder's toolkits or attend a local prerelease (yes that is a tournament, but the absolute best one for beginners).

OR, if you prefer constructed decks check out available duel decks they are slightly more complex than intro-level decks - but you get 2 decks in one box designed to play against each other (which makes it the best 2-player starter magic has).

HIGHLY recommend checking out your FLGS to see what kinds of magic they support. Your entry into the game is going to be remarkably different if the store has a strong commander crowd, and a middling standard crowd instead of the other way around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Slugocki
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmb
dream_rpg wrote:

If you prefer to start the game on Paper, find some intro-decks or starting next month the new 'planeswalker' decks. Get one per person involved and throw down with those.

You mean those duel decks that are coming next friday?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Regs
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Duel decks ARE a pretty good product for new players, since they are a good way for 2 players to explore the game in a fixed format. They tend to be more complex (but also have stronger themes) than the current Intro decks.

Planeswalker decks will replace intro decks with new releases starting with Kaladesh - which is coming out late next month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.