$20.00
$60.00
Willis Dell
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules have two examples of Advance in which player A is one space away from player B:

###A#B###

In this case, Advance 1 would result in:
####AB###
which totally makes sense

Advance 2 would result in:
#####BA##
which also makes sense since two fighters cannot occupy the same space

For the second example, however, is the space occupied by Player B counted and then the "cannot occupy the same space" rule applied OR is it ignored completely?

I'm asking, specifically for a card like Dive which has "BEFORE: Advance 3"
If I'm one space away from my opponent when Dive resolves, does the Advance 3 put me directly behind my opponent (by counting: 1,2,3 spaces and ignoring my opponent's position) or does it put me 2 spaces behind my opponent (by counting: 1, skip, 2, 3 spaces).

Hopefully this makes sense, as it's come up a few times in determining whether or not a Dive is within range.

--------

One other quickie question regarding Heidi's ability:
- Do continuous effects count as Resolved when they enter the play area or are they considered Resolved after a Strike when they enter the discard? If the former, do they (and, by extension, non-Continuous Boosts) trigger before or after Heidi's ability? It's a minor quibble, but knowing when and which cards and information is known can sway some decisions during the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two spaces; do not counter your opponent's space as a space advanced through. (The Force movement rule is weirdly organized, but should read: Spend N force, then move to a space N away from your current position.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tankbard wrote:
Two spaces; do not counter your opponent's space as a space advanced through. (The Force movement rule is weirdly organized, but should read: Spend N force, then move to a space N away from your current position.)
This is the way I've been playing it as well, but admittedly mostly because that's the way it works in BattleCON and I assumed it would be the same. Re-reading the rules now, I see that it's actually not entirely clear.

edit:
rulebook wrote:
Move towards the opponent as many spaces as possible up to the number of spaces indicated, switching sides and continuing in the same direction beyond.
The highlighted portion is the most convincing argument for it working as mentioned above. It's really about whether movement happens all at once (as OP suggests it might), or one space at a time (as tankbard and myself assume).

double edit: Also, if Dive put you directly behind your opponent, then Grasp would only allow you to throw your opponent 1 space over your shoulder, but 2 spaces forward. Which would be strange.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel DeMars
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To clarify, if you play Dive at range 2 from your opponent, you will end up two spaces behind them (also at range 2, and probably thus miss, barring boosts/special character abilities). The space the opponent occupies does not count as a space when moving (fore and non-force).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Condon
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I had this all figured out. It was the only crinkle in what otherwise is a very elegant game.

There seems to be two answers here and no consensus. Is there a official ruling on this?

I did it the 'count the opponents occupied pace only in the event of spending force-as-movement' rule. Everything else (advancing, mostly) ignores the space the opponent is on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely treat the move action different to any movement gained from boosts or strikes. If you spend your action to move and discard force, then you must pay 1 more force to swap sides with the opponent.

If you move due to the Run boost or the Dive strike, then do not count the space the opponent is in.

When you think about it, you never count the opponents space for movement. It just costs one more force to swap sides when using the move action by paying force.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Condon
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rook96 wrote:
Definitely treat the move action different to any movement gained from boosts or strikes. If you spend your action to move and discard force, then you must pay 1 more force to swap sides with the opponent.

If you move due to the Run boost or the Dive strike, then do not count the space the opponent is in.

When you think about it, you never count the opponents space for movement. It just costs one more force to swap sides when using the move action by paying force.

Hope this helps!

Then I've been doing it correctly the whole time. It's just I count the 'extra force for swapping sides' as paying to move through that space as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willis Dell
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, thanks for the input everyone! Does anyone have any clarification on the two questions regarding what constitutes "resolution" of a Boost, especially in regards to Continuous Boosts?

And (if it triggers when the Boost is played), when does it resolve? Is it:
1. Declare and play the Boost
2. Heidi's ability triggers
3. Ability trigger resolves, Heidi player draws a card
4. Resolve effects of Boost played in #1

-OR-

1. Declare and play the Boost
2. Resolve effects of Boost
3. Move Boost to discard pile
4. Ability trigger resolves, Heidi player draws a card

-----
I prefer the second sequence, as Exceed doesn't seem to have any type of Stack, as is the case in games like Magic. That throws a kink into proceedings though, as Continuous Boosts don't enter the discard until the next Strike is resolved, meaning they would be sitting in play and could be stopped before the Heidi player gets to use her ability.

As card advantage is such a powerful thing, this allows Continuous Boost cards to be dealt with (via cards such as Dive) and allow the opponent some level of interaction with Heidi's ability and a means to effectively counter 1-4 of her Continuous Boosts and netting 2-for-1 value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Armstrong
msg tools
Quote:
That throws a kink into proceedings though, as Continuous Boosts don't enter the discard until the next Strike is resolved, meaning they would be sitting in play and could be stopped before the Heidi player gets to use her ability.

That interpretation is contradicted by Heidi's own cards. Mechanical Genius (Boost of Dagger Strike - Install) states "put a Continuous Boost from your Discard into Play (this does not count as resolving it)."

The "does not count as resolving" text is redundant if Continuous Boosts are only resolved once they're discarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.