Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Samuel Bailey
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Posted a bit about the Conspiracy track on the first page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I got to place this yesterday. Sam surprised me by adding dice to the design. It made a lot of decisions trickier. I liked it.

Also I won as the Usurpers so take that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
black gauntlet
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
Right, mechanisms aside (great job there!), 2 things about theming and art choice.

Firstly, I would have thought that the 4 roles would have, at least, 1 of them being aliens. Y'know, since it's sci-fi and all. I thought it would be something like:
1) Expand - A parasitic alien race (like Zergs in Starcraft) hellbent on swallowing up every planet
2) Exploit - Human/Terran space miners sucking every resource available
3) Exterminate - Advanced yet mystical alien purists (like Predators in... uh... Predator) who hunts down other races
4) Explore - Terran/Alien explorers (like Enterprise in Star Trek, maybe?) charting out the unknowns

Secondly, with the current art, we could be playing a game about an island dictator trying to exert their dominance over a restless populace while trying to fend off externally-funded anti-government militias from toppling their reign and none would be the wiser.

What I'm trying to say, is that, the sci-fi theme isn't really strong there. I dunno. Could be just me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DZ Woloshyn
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I disagree with the notion that sci-fi should have aliens in it. Well, maybe as pets or a food source or something...

I mean, think of Earth, alone among several-thousand-at-least (apparently) non-radio-communicating worlds. We've had hundreds of millions of species of life on this planet over several billion years, and how many of them were spacefaring AND intelligent? That's right, only one: the noble allosaurus.

What are the odds that, if we internally-squabbling-and-mostly-xenophobic yahoos ever create a practical between-the-stars travel device despite Earth's ever-growing haze of high-speed orbital detritus, we will encounter even one species, in the vast infinity of space-time, that is both beyond their eons-long evolution to intelligent space-faringness AND has roughly our own technology level so interracial conflicts last longer than, say, three minutes?

"Never tell me the odds."

Shut up, Han. Humans vs humans is way more believable and relatable, so players can empathize with their avatars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Bailey
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback, BG (can I call you BG?)!

The current art and graphics are all placeholders for now, so sorry the theme isn't super strong. We do want to go with a bit of a dictatorship empire vs. rebels vs. aliens vs. a heroic captain (oh my!) feel. So that's where you are probably getting the island dictator vibe. The talented Kyle Ferrin, who did the art for Vast: The Crystal Caverns, will be breathing the real Sci-fi charm into the game. Once we have real art and cool spaceship miniatures, the sci-fi theme will probably come through allot more

The Rivals are the resident aliens in the game, bent on the destruction of the Empire that defeated it in the past. I imagine them as a federation of all the smaller races that the Empire has mistreated in its rise to dominance, joining together against their common foe now that the Empire is weakening. This is why the Rival player doesn't have complete control over their actions and must make use of the cards in their hand, representing different factions wanting to pursue different tactics against the Empire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Samuel Bailey wrote:
I imagine them as a federation of all the smaller races that the Empire has mistreated in its rise to dominance, joining together against their common foe now that the Empire is weakening.

Aargh! I have recently (last year or so) read a novel/story with exactly that storyline --- and now I cannot remember what it is called. The "joys" of older age. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing your design and development notes here Samuel! It's been fun watching this project come to life and it looks like you have a great group of people working on it. Look forward to seeing more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Samuel Bailey wrote:
...who will breath new life...

Just thought I'd point out that "breath" is a noun, and "breathe" is a verb, in case you're planning on using that text in anything promotional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Bailey
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
flaquito wrote:
Just thought I'd point out that "breath" is a noun, and "breathe" is a verb, in case you're planning on using that text in anything promotional.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Bailey
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess this is as good a time as any to show off the current version of the player boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Boyers
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Samuel Bailey wrote:
The talented Kyle Ferrin

I didn't know he was working on Deep! That is exciting news!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyle and I have made plans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jussi-Pekka Jokinen
Finland
Riihimäki
flag msg tools
Disclaimer: Not an actual cat
badge
50 Shades of Fur
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenM wrote:

This sounds strangely ominous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Thomas
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenM wrote:

A plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel? cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyle now works for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
black gauntlet
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
GreenM wrote:
Kyle now works for me.

Why do I keep tagging a "Muahahahaha!" after that sentence every time I read it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Ryan
Australia
Richlands
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blackgauntlet wrote:
GreenM wrote:
Kyle now works for me.

Why do I keep tagging a "Muahahahaha!" after that sentence every time I read it?

"No, Mr Ferrin, I expect you to DRAW!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyle, Sam, and I have been discussing style a bit as we start to ramp up development. Here is a little poll we made, but of course I'm amicable to discussion.

Poll
What sort of art style would interest you for Deep?
Modern/Photorealism (2000s BSG, The Expanse)
80s Throwback (old BSG)
70 Pulp Sci-Fi (Dune Boardgame, a million sci-fi novel covers)
50s (The Day The Earth Stood Still (Film), Conquest of the Planet Earth)
      115 answers
Poll created by GreenM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jussi-Pekka Jokinen
Finland
Riihimäki
flag msg tools
badge
50 Shades of Fur
mbmbmbmbmb
GreenM wrote:
Kyle, Sam, and I have been discussing style a bit as we start to ramp up development. Here is a little poll we made, but of course I'm amicable to discussion.

I believe the '50 is a bit overdone, but the '70s and '80s have a lot of potential in them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinsilver wrote:
GreenM wrote:

I believe the '50 is a bit overdone, but the '70s and '80s have a lot of potential in them.

I agree. When I look at sci fi games on the shelf they are dominated by the FFG "photorealistic" aesthetic. I think Vast stood out because of its excellent and unconventional art (among other things) and that art would seem to be easily adapted to a 70s or 80s look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Bailey
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Played few games last night using the new board configuration. Bigger areas for sectors, less overall sectors to get lost in, and a more adversarial setup between the Empire and the Rival. Worked pretty well and encourage the types of play behaviors I was hoping to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jussi-Pekka Jokinen
Finland
Riihimäki
flag msg tools
badge
50 Shades of Fur
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curiously interested in this. Questions, questions!

1) When will this hit the shelves/your preferred crowdfunding platform?
2) Will the game use miniatures, meeples or standees?
3) Have you settled on a tagline? I saw Patrick contemplating this on Twitter. Can we throw suggestions at you?
4) Now that there are games called Vast and Deep, shouldn't there also be a game called Wide (or Blue), an asymmetric game about an ocean filled with steampunk pirates? Think Waterworld, but actually interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Bailey
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Always happy to answer questions!

1) We are still figuring that out, but we will let you know as soon as we do

2) The plan is to have miniatures.

3) Still not 100% settled. Have some good ideas, but could always use more if you have suggestions.

4) Oh my! Have you been looking at Patrick's secret files ;-D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jussi-Pekka Jokinen
Finland
Riihimäki
flag msg tools
badge
50 Shades of Fur
mbmbmbmbmb
Whee, answers! Thanks!

Samuel Bailey wrote:
3) Still not 100% settled. Have some good ideas, but could always use more if you have suggestions.

I was thinking something dramatic like Deep: The Endless War, Deep: The Dying Stars, Deep: The Boundless Struggle or Deep: The Dark Galaxies. Would need to play a few games to pinpoint my semi-coherent ideas.

Samuel Bailey wrote:
4) Oh my! Have you been looking at Patrick's secret files ;-D

Just a random thought while I was pondering 3). Plus, I find open sea almost as terrifying as open space, so it'd make a great setting. The trick would be to find interesting roles for the game. Needs more than just pirates.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dennett
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Always play to win, don't care if you lose.
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep coming back to "Deep: The Dark Expanse" but that might cause some branding issues with the upcoming Expanse game.

I'm starting to like "Deep: Dark Matters" for the play on words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.