Subject: Quest Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will Haynes
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just a quick question, when you finish a leg of the quest and it moves to the first step in the new leg, you don't need to achieve the power/equipment needed for that leg until the next Quest Management phase, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vryllyn wrote:
Just a quick question, when you finish a leg of the quest and it moves to the first step in the new leg, you don't need to achieve the power/equipment needed for that leg until the next Quest Management phase, correct?

Correct!

Also, another easy rule to miss is that you put a quest cube on the first space immediately when you acquire the quest, and then that same quest phase (during management) it moves one space (assuming you meet the needs of the quest). So that means at the end of the first round that you get a quest, the tracking marker will actually be on the 2nd space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Haynes
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
Vryllyn wrote:

Correct!

Also, another easy rule to miss is that you put a quest cube on the first space immediately when you acquire the quest, and then that same quest phase (during management) it moves one space (assuming you meet the needs of the quest). So that means at the end of the first round that you get a quest, the tracking marker will actually be on the 2nd space.

Yeah, I used to get killed by that second one when I would try it online, because some of the quests, I wouldn't notice that it needed a mace or specific weapon. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't screw that up last night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Canada
Niagara Region & Buffalo
Onatrio & New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad I saw this question.

I have the first edition, old rulebook. Played the Normal Game (3p) a few days ago and then the Epic Game (4p) yesterday. A few rules were unclear but we figured them all out except that the marker goes on then moves forward. So we could have completed a few more quests at the end and would have had to wait on some earlier.

We couldn't find the rule about quest management and what to do if you complete a leg in the market phase. We house-ruled it to only match the weapon strength needed for the new leg during the quest management phase. Apparently that was correct. But what if you then failed the quest - would you get the bonuse(s) if any are listed at the end of that leg?

Thanks for the question and answers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VolleyGame wrote:

We couldn't find the rule about quest management and what to do if you complete a leg in the market phase. We house-ruled it to only match the weapon strength needed for the new leg during the quest management phase. Apparently that was correct. But what if you then failed the quest - would you get the bonuse(s) if any are listed at the end of that leg?

According to the rules you only check for weapon strength during the quest management phase. You didn't make a "house rule" you just followed the rules as written...

As for bonuses, they are also only checked for during the quest management phase, and are awarded for the space you are on. This is not affected one way or the other by the market phase space that lets you advance. So, in other words, whatever the "failure" reward is on the leg you are currently on during the quest management phase is what you get when you fail. Whether you got there because of the market phase or not is irrelevant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Greer
msg tools
So, if that's the case, then I would only have to check that I meet the quest requirements on the second pip. So, for those quests that have only one pip for the first level of the quest, I just skip meeting that requirement (which I recognize is less that the second level, but if I have a weapon that increases in strength based on level of quest I'm on, I might not have the power to meet the first level, but still could meet the requirements of the second).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coseverde wrote:
So, if that's the case, then I would only have to check that I meet the quest requirements on the second pip. So, for those quests that have only one pip for the first level of the quest, I just skip meeting that requirement (which I recognize is less that the second level, but if I have a weapon that increases in strength based on level of quest I'm on, I might not have the power to meet the first level, but still could meet the requirements of the second).

Not correct.

Just follow the following steps:

1 - when you take a quest, place the marker on the first pip.

2 - then go to the quest management phase and if you satisfy the strength requirements for the first level, advance to the second pip.

So you always need to satisfy the first level strength requirement.

This question:

VolleyGame wrote:

...is referring to the "advance a quest one space" spot in the market (not during quest management). You will never be able to use this "advance a quest one space" spot in the market while your marker is on the first pip of a quest.

The quest phase that you take the quest in is always immediately followed by a quest management that advances the marker to the second pip (if and only if you have the strength required for the first pip). The first market phase you have with a quest "in process", that quest will always be at least on the second pip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps it should be reminded that you CANNOT use the road to complete a quest (page 15 in the rulebook). So the above discussion about bonuses and failures is a moot point, isn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boulou wrote:
Perhaps it should be reminded that you CANNOT use the road to complete a quest (page 15 in the rulebook). So the above discussion about bonuses and failures is a moot point, isn't it?

Nope. If you read the discussion it is not about bonuses and failures, it is about when you need to satisfy the strength requirements for each leg of a quest. Totally relevant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was specifically referring to the statement below, from which the ensuing discussion followed.
I was confused because this did not stand corrected.

VolleyGame wrote:

We couldn't find the rule about quest management and what to do if you complete a leg in the market phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boulou wrote:
I was specifically referring to the statement below, from which the ensuing discussion followed.
I was confused because this did not stand corrected.

VolleyGame wrote:

We couldn't find the rule about quest management and what to do if you complete a leg in the market phase.

It wasn't corrected because you can complete a leg of a quest in the market phase, you just can't complete the final leg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alie Alexandross
msg tools
mb
VolleyGame wrote:
But what if you then failed the quest - would you get the bonuse(s) if any are listed at the end of that leg?

According to rulebook:
Quote:
Road (5, open): Rush a single quest by moving its quest tracker up one step (see page 9). This action is free. If this movement would move the quest tracker to a new leg and thus completing the current leg, the physical rewards for the completed leg are received at this time (see page 12). The Road action cannot be used to complete a quest.

Example: assume, during market phase you're on 1-st lvl quest "The Temple of the Serpent God", on the third pip
--------------------------------------------
Quest
[2 axe] _ {2 gold, (3) fame}
[4 axe] _ _ {2 copper, (9) fame}
[8] _ {market card, (17) fame}

You are here:
[4 axe] _ X {2 copper, (9) fame}
[8] _ {market card, 17 fame}
If you take Road action, your marker will pass to the next leg, thus 2 copper will be received immediately (before quest equirement phase, and before discarding current market cards). So, at the beggining of a quest management phase, your quest marker will be on the last position:
[8] X {market card, (17) fame}
If you fail now, receive a fame points written in leg BEFORE you've rushed. In this case you'll earn 9 fame.

If you take Road action with Adventurer's Savvy - you'll get to the same position because a quest can not be completed by rush.

Now, assume you have a Adventurer's Savvy and take this quest during quest acquirement phase:
Quest:
[1] _ {(1) fame}
[2] _ {(2) fame}
[3] _ {(3) fame}
[4] _ {4 fame}

So, you start here:
[1] X {1 copper, (1) fame}
[2] _ {2 copper, (2) fame}
[3] _ {3 copper, (3) fame}
[4] _ {4 copper, 4 fame}
You send only one hero with copper dagger.

You're 1 str. is enough to pass to the next leg - after quest management phase receive your 1 copper reward.
You are here:
[1] _ {1 copper, (1) fame}
[2] X {2 copper, (2) fame}
[4] _ {4 copper, 4 fame}

During market phase you take Road action with Adventurer's Savvy. It's 1+1 movement and you stop here:
[4] X {4 copper, 4 fame}
2 quest legs passed - receive you're 2 copper + 3 copper immediately.

During quest management, str of your hero lower than 3 and you fail the quest. Receive number of fame points, mentioned BEFORE you've rushed - it's 1 fame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Z
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alie Alexandross wrote:
VolleyGame wrote:
But what if you then failed the quest - would you get the bonuse(s) if any are listed at the end of that leg?

According to rulebook:
Quote:
Road (5, open): Rush a single quest by moving its quest tracker up one step (see page 9). This action is free. If this movement would move the quest tracker to a new leg and thus completing the current leg, the physical rewards for the completed leg are received at this time (see page 12). The Road action cannot be used to complete a quest.

Example: assume, during market phase you're on 1-st lvl quest "The Temple of the Serpent God", on the third pip
Quest
[8] _ {market card, (17) fame}

You are here:
[4 axe] _ X {2 copper, (9) fame}
[8] _ {market card, 17 fame}
If you take Road action, your marker will pass to the next leg, thus 2 copper will be received immediately (before quest equirement phase, and before discarding current market cards). So, at the beggining of a quest management phase, your quest marker will be on the last position:
[8] X {market card, (17) fame}
If you fail now, receive a fame points written in leg BEFORE you've rushed. In this case you'll earn 9 fame.

If you take Road action with Adventurer's Savvy - you'll get to the same position because a quest can not be completed by rush.

Now, assume you have a Adventurer's Savvy and take this quest during quest acquirement phase:
Quest:
[1] _ {(1) fame}
[2] _ {(2) fame}
[3] _ {(3) fame}
[4] _ {4 fame}

So, you start here:
[1] X {1 copper, (1) fame}
[4] _ {4 copper, 4 fame}
You send only one hero with copper dagger.

You're 1 str. is enough to pass to the next leg - after quest management phase receive your 1 copper reward.
You are here:
[2] X {2 copper, (2) fame}
[4] _ {4 copper, 4 fame}

During market phase you take Road action with Adventurer's Savvy. It's 1+1 movement and you stop here:
[4] X {4 copper, 4 fame}
2 quest legs passed - receive you're 2 copper + 3 copper immediately.

During quest management, str of your hero lower than 3 and you fail the quest. Receive number of fame points, mentioned BEFORE you've rushed - it's 1 fame.

The is a great illustration, and clears it up for me. In your first example, you received the 9 fame because you had completed a step of the second leg "normally", even though the rest of the leg was rushed. In the second example you only get 1 fame because two entire legs were "short-cutted", so to speak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alie Alexandross
msg tools
mb
Llucid wrote:

The is a great illustration, and clears it up for me. In your first example, you received the 9 fame because you had completed a step of the second leg "normally", even though the rest of the leg was rushed. In the second example you only get 1 fame because two entire legs were "short-cutted", so to speak.

Absolutely correct! I'm glad it was helpfull

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PsiNorm I
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where in the rules does it say you don't get the fame for the previous leg if you fail the quest after rushing? You didn't quote it, and I can't find it. Think you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.