Subject: Rome Strategies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Schroeder

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
mbmb
Hi everyone. We have had about 7 games now with about 3 core players and other random people swapping in and out. We've had pretty even victory count with all countries in the game, but Rome has never won yet. I haven't seen another post about this yet, so I'm assuming Rome has just been either played wrong by the player or has just been unlucky. Rome has been played in every one of our games but one 3 player game in which we used the alternate set up with Babylon.

Any players here win consistently enough with Rome to enlighten me as to how you win?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Townshend
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen Rome win by diversifying resources via expansion into the neighboring provinces that produce different commodities, taking the trade leader title from Carthage, and building the pyramids.

I have seen Rome LOSE several times by getting into meaningless wars of attrition with its neighbors, and thus being generally ineffective throughout the game. I see this happen with overly aggressive Rome players that want to take advantage of Caesar's power, but don't yet understand the finesse with which to wield it (i.e. concentrating on strategic objectives that won't end up hurting Rome as much as its target).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I won my first game with Rome. I built a legendary city and then built up some forces. With some diplomatic negotiations, I convinced the other players that someone else was about to win. Then, I swooped in and took over two capitals to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
I won my first game with Rome. Used military advantage carefully to take key resource spaces. Won by 5 People/developments.

I imagine if someone overly tilts on Romes perceived military advantage (PS, it isn't that great) they are doomed.

EDIT: As I recall, Rome won at the other table playing that night and after comparing notes, he played nearly the exact same way I did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Massey
United States
APO
US Armed Forces - Europe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a 3 player game with Greece and Carthage, I built one market in the first round. After that, I proceeded to pillage Greece to whittle down its resource collection. Then I focused on pillaging Carthage and wiped out its army. After that the other guys played catch up as I pillaged without abandon. They were hesitant to come after me in my homeland after I grabbed Nebechanezzer (however its spelled). When they did come after me, I already put myself in a position to be the leader of all three tracks at the end of a round when I occupied Greece's buildings in its capital. They didn't have enough firepower to dislodge me after wrecked their economies. It was over in about 5 or 6 rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanaël Dufour
France
Lille
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Two victories of Rome in our 7 games so far (Pyramids and 5th wonder/hero). Both benefited of efficient use of its starting advantage : not the +1 to legions, but starting as the military leader.

If you trade your Coin for a Resource on 1st turn, you can then build 2 Trirems and 1 legion. You know have 3 legions and can move into all Carthagenese, 1 Egyptian and 2 Greek regions.

Choose whichever one you like, (usually there is someone with an empty territory, so you don't need to sacrifice one legion to their fortress), and occupy two production markers. Being the military leader you can choose who to attack and how.
DO NOT DESTROY their buildings, just collect 2 ressources as tribute, then move first out of their regions the next turn.

Do that every turns, slowing down whoever is in the lead. You get a definite advantage that way. Your enemy then have to militarize a lot (slowing them down), so you need to take that little advantage to get ahead by one wonder and a title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
broggi wrote:
I won my first game with Rome. I built a legendary city and then built up some forces. With some diplomatic negotiations, I convinced the other players that someone else was about to win. Then, I swooped in and took over two capitals to win.

I had exactly the same in my 1st game (3 player, vs Cathage and Greece).
I built a great army on Syracuse to be able to "defend" to all sides and then attacked Carthage (only to "pillage"), the next turn Greece.

Although I' m sure I never get that opportunity again against these opponents!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.