Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » Variants

Subject: Favorite house rules? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R B
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I'd like to start collecting house rules (mainly for campaign) that people are using to either 1) balance the game and/or 2) make it more "fun".

Anything and everything is fair game - reducing ally cost, changing mission deck rules, using allies as heroes, using command decks in the campaign, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giannis Tilias
Greece
Thessaloniki
EVOSMOS
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When Rebels choose side mission don't let the remaining card active. Instead reshufle the whole deck with the side missions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Drop ally and villain costs to 3/4 rounded up (Except for Murne's False Orders ability) and include any won villain in the imperial's open hand.

After a side mission choice, one or both rebel missions not picked are discarded from the game.

For fun and time's sake, we've also been letting the rebels see the map beforehand and read the mission briefing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
I haven't done this yet, but since a campaign can literally take months to complete, it's possible that new sets can be released that could affect gameplay. For instance, A campaign started in May wouldn't be able to incorporate the allies or villains from The Bespin Gambit or the recent packs into a current campaign. So, here's a solution-

For the first time a campaign is resumed after the set owner has received new components:

Rebel side missions
Allow the Rebel player to shuffle all unplayed and unrevealed Grey missions into the Grey mission deck, then draw a number equal to what was taken out.

Then, allow Rebel players the opportunity to remove any unplayed and unrevealed Green mission cards from the Green mission card deck, then select that same number to return to the side mission deck.

Imperial Agenda Deck
Allow the Imperial player to remove any Agenda sets from his deck.
Note: He can only remove full agenda sets, in which none of the cards have yet been bought or played. So, if a card was bought, played, and returned to the Agenda deck, he may not remove that Agenda set from the campaign. Once removed, the Imp player can then add as many new agenda sets as he has removed.

As far as the Rebels choosing new heroes-
They seem so intrinsically related to the campaign that I kind of hate this idea. However, here's a bit of a gambit that I think might be fair, and would discourage the switching of heroes in all but the most strategic of cases-

Before the mission after new components have been received, Rebels may announce that their hero is "retiring" after this mission.

If the mission is a success and the Rebel player is not wounded, all equipment are returned to the Rebel pool. Also, tally the XP spend on abilities for this hero. The newly chosen hero can spend 80%, rounded down, of that XP, on abilities. Unspent XP carries over.

If the mission is a success but the Rebel hero is effectively wounded or forced to withdraw, all equipment that Rebel was carrying are returned to the Rebel pool. The new Rebel hero receives 50% rounded down of all spent XP. Unspent XP carries over.

If the mission fails, the Rebel is considered KIA, and all equipment that Rebel was carrying are returned to the equipment deck. The new Rebel hero receives 50% rounded down of all spent XP. Unspent XP carries over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph West
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a female player is wearing a slave Leia costume at the table, she gets to re-roll all dice as many times as she wants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sparky Sparks
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Most of my house rules come down to balance. I'm a very experienced Imperial player, with a background as a GM, and I know how to deliver a smack-down if I really wanted. However, that's not fun for anyone, but playing stupidly or intentionally holding back feels artificial, and cheapens the rebel victory. As a GM, im used to being "on the player's side" in spite of playing the opposition. So here's a few things I've picked up.

-If playing with new players, allow them 5 heroes instead of the usual 4. Its simple, its effective, it lets more players sit at the table, The best part is, the Imperial player can play to the best of his ability and still have a chance to win. Most of the time. Regarding rewards, when the book says "heroes receive 100 credits per hero," they get 500.

-Allow re-specing, in some degree. Especially with new players, the ability to try new things is always welcome, and if they find that their build isn't working out, it keeps them from getting bummed out from being stuck with a build they don't like. Obviously experienced players should know better, but i play with a lot of new players, so this keeps them from just playing someone else's build of that hero.

-Whenever the book would award different amounts of XP for Rebels or Imperials, even it out. Usually, the winning side in a story mission gets an extra XP point, but keeping the XP totals equal helps keep the campaign-ruining snowball from forming in my experience. I usually give 2 XP to all sides if the Rebels win a story mission, and 1 XP to all sides if the Rebels lose the story mission.

-If the Rebels are losing, only use your Influence points for forced or side missions, or don't use Agenda cards altogether. If the rebels are winning, fudge the influence a little, get an extra one-shot card here or there. They're generally not paying THAT much attention to what you're picking ;3

-How many times has it all comes down to one roll of the dice? How many times did you just need one more surge on 3 dice? Wouldn't it be great to have one last turn? It seems so cruel for victory to be one activation away, and just not be able to get there. Sometimes, I give my players that one extra activation, especially if they dice have been unforgiving during that mission.

-If the Rebels have been winning too much, give the Imperial player an extra threat every turn. It's separate from the threat level (for balancing reasons) but approximately 6 extra threat every mission can definitely turn a curb-stomp into a close fight.

-the Jabba's Realm campaign says to draw 10 item deck cards instead of 6, since 10 s half the deck (if you include all the previous expansions,) and 6 was half the deck back in the core game. So in all campaigns, I just deal half the item deck every rebel upgrade phase, so certain cards don't get buried.

A few other things I've stopped using:
-NO FEN. FEN IS BROKEN. REBEL ELITE+HH3 UNDERBARREL IS BLAST 3 GARBAGE. TACTICAL MOVEMENT IS BROKEN. HIS CHARACTER SIDE MISSION IS IMPOSSIBLE, GO AWAY FEN NOBODY WANTS YOU ANYMORE.
-No Gideon. My players generally agree that he's just an action-giving machine, not a fun character in his own right.
-No Military Might. The only use that deck has is a crutch for the Imperial player.

-Last but not least, make sure everyone is having fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.