Subject: Lamination Test rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone, I have a quick test that I would you to try:

While the lamination in Talon works, there have been several discussions about which is the best marker to use or about how to clean the counters because a residue can build up over time. This tells me that the lamination could be improved.

Almost accidentally, I discovered that I already had something that worked better - a GMT box! So, I did a test and used my Expo dry erase marker on a variety of GMT boxes - Space Empires, Talon, Twilight Stuggle, Labyrinth. I drew a line and then every day for a week I came back and erased part of the line with my thumb. It worked great.

GMT has approved using this gloss wrap for the counters in the expansion, but the discussion about all the different types of dry erase markers still is in my head. I thought it would be good to make sure they all worked as well.

So, if you want to try your brand of dry erase marker on a GMT box (at your own risk), I would love to know how it turns out. You don't need to keep it on for a week like I did. I just want to make sure they wipe off immediately.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A K Vikhagen
Sweden
Gothenborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great - will check the two types of markers I have and return with the result

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A K Vikhagen
Sweden
Gothenborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The test has started!

Both the stadtler and the pilot pen behaves similarly to the test I did earlier: Brand suggestions for pen replacement. The Pilot pen is still the preferred choice.

Both are easy to wipe off (even if the staedtler are more stuck) but I will leave them on for a week or so and wipe off from time to time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Experiment on my treasured GMT boxes??!!

If it's all the same to you I'll freeload on this idea and await everyone else's results with interest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like how you slipped in the "for the counters in the expansion" so casually Any expansion comments or news that can be shared?

edit: oh, just saw expansion thread

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tilde72, wow, I chuckled when I saw your test. I marked a little bit down at the bottom of my boxes. Yours is an aggessive test!

I'm glad those other pens wipe off easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A K Vikhagen
Sweden
Gothenborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup - full on in the name of science (and other forms of investigation)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These things might be good for removing the built up residue. They're very good at erasing markings from whiteboards that have been there for a couple years.

There's no chemicals and they work well dry. Though I'd test it out first just in case.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MFHX3U/?tag=article-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"She comes out of the Sun in a silk dress runnin' like a watercolor in the rain."
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sure hope that is one of the newer GMT boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread makes me anxious
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"She comes out of the Sun in a silk dress runnin' like a watercolor in the rain."
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
First of all, any game that I'm keeping is fine, I don't care about its condition. "Playable" and "not-playable" are the only two conditions I classify into.

Secondly, if it sticks, it will make for one heck of a story when I pull it out. I write scores inside my lids, leave notes in the boxes, record when and where I bought games inside the box, etc. Makes for some great memories.

If it sticks I'll take the exact same marker and write "Kroooooooooohn!" under it.

For the record it's the new GMT slicky cover. I think it will come off pretty easily.

By the way, I heard rumor you have corporate sponsors for the expansions. Will it be the True Value™ Empire versus the Pepsi Alliance? Smart marketing. I'll give you credit for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
By the way, I heard rumor you have corporate sponsors for the expansions. Will it be the True Value™ Empire versus the Pepsi Alliance? Smart marketing. I'll give you credit for that.

Might need bigger counters for the Nascar treatment.

The million dollar question...will the expansion be stand alone or will the base game get reprinted? I hate to think this strong game is limited to just those who have already bought in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose I should answer that last question in a new thread. Give me time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Ranieri
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
I make my own tests both on the box and the counters and i find the box really more easy to wipe off without any ghost (i use different markers but, on the counters, always the same grey/ghosting results).
That brings me to one question... when the expansions come out with the improved glossy lamination there were also a reprint of the original two factions in the box?
I home laminated mine and it works beautifully, but honestly i prefer all the counters with the same look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:

Mine came off completely a week later with a dry kleenex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good. Like I said, my tests showed that the box cover was a better lamination than what the counters had. I'm glad to see that others are getting the same results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A K Vikhagen
Sweden
Gothenborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can confirm that it comes off,

even the Staedtler, that are more difficult than the Pilot pen, came off when using a cloth.

Having said that, the Pilot Boardmaster pen that I use is by far the superior choice even on this surface. I would like to see a pen that beats it (even though the original ones are good, too)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of you testing, are you leaving them in the sun? Is it humid where you are?

Just curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This means that you can print bonus ship counters on the box itself for us to cut out devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Shaded, in a heavily AC'd environment. Dry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A K Vikhagen
Sweden
Gothenborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shaded but in the window post with the occasional sunlight - dry, 22 degrees Celsius.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Botkin
United States
Morton
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Best pens I have found for Talon ships
The best pens I have found for marking on Talon ships are Pilot Precise V5 Rolling Ball Pens with the extra fine tip. I have typically bought mine at Walgreens but other stores sell them too. It is a water-based ink so just a slightly damp piece of paper towel wipes it clean with absolutely no shadow imprint left behind of what was previously written.

The only caveat is you do not want the paper towel to be too wet or you can risk wiping off more than you intended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.