Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all!

First time game designer here and I'm a huge fan of Fantasy Adventure games. After finding myself continually lead to make variants and tweaks to most of the games I play, I finally decided to put both my love for the genre and desire to build the "perfect" game to the test in Xolyss.

Summary of the Game: Xolyss is a sandbox adventure, where you build up a team of Heroes in the hopes to take down an extremely powerful evil that has risen up, threatening to destroy the entire world. During the adventure, you will be gathering materials in order to build equipment, learn new spells, and hire allies as well as taking your team out to explore dangerous locations, aiming to find new treasure and wealth to utilize against the darkness. Along the way Daedalus will be on your trail, sending out Captains to pursue your every move. Better be ready for them once you are found! Your team is up against a clash with time in order to become strong enough to take on the evil Twins before the time track elapses and he becomes invincible. But look out! His Witch will not allow you to get to the stronghold without going through her first...

Mechanically, the game is a medley of concepts found in Mage Knight, Shadowrun: Crossfire, Shadows of Malice, and Runebound to name a few.

I have a blog chronicling my voyage to create this game here:

Diary of a Fantasy Adventure Design

Come on over and make a few comments if you like what you see! I try to post things going on with the design daily.

Best,
Greg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Phate999 wrote:

Come on over and make a few comments if you like what you see! I try to post things going on with the design daily.

Subscribed! (To the blog, anyway...!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Made the prototype Starting Tile. Getting giddy to playtest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I've got pieces subbing in from Heroes Wanted, Incredible Expeditions: Quest for Atlantis, and Shadows of Malice (the latter I owe much of the design inspiration to) but this is the prototype to how the world of Xolyss will look.

As you travel around, you will be taking these tokens off the map when you mine, harvest, or attack a base, urging you to press closer and closer to Daedalus in order to progress which means his captains will be closer to hunting you down.

More on how that works. The captains get a turn right after the players finish theirs. They will come from the stronghold to the north and make there way to each city, in clockwise fashion, trying to ascertain your whereabouts from the locals. However, as soon as you attack the first of Daedalus's bases, they will immediately begin moving to that location. As soon as they get there, they will have enough clues and information to make a beeline for your squad. And if you defeat another base before they arrive at the ruins of the first, they will move to that location instead.

This makes for some tense decisions at the first of the game because the captains will obliterate you useless you are well armed. So one might want to gather resources to begin in order to try to craft some equipment/spells. Be careful though. If the captain ever gets to within 3 spaces of your team, you will be found out and pursued to the death!

The game is slowly beginning to come to life, day by day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.