Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Is it good with 5 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicolas Renier
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sorry for cluttering the forum, I know there is a poll for player count, but because of the very limited replayability once the story is spoiled, I want to make sure we enjoy each scenario as much as possible.

We're planning to do the 3rd scenario tonight, with 5 players. I've only played 2 and 4 so far, so I wanted to get a sense from the community whether the game, especially this scenario, plays as well with 5? I'm concerned about the dilution of clues and objects amongst investigators.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a game with 5 people the weekend before last and everyone really enjoyed it. I was the only person who had played before. In fact, I've been told to bring it to our next event so we can all play it again!

I didn't feel like it was diluted, really. We played the first scenario and it really bumps up the hit points on all the monsters when you have that many characters on the board. As a result, we usually had a couple people on "monster duty" while the rest of the party searched the mansion.

It was a good time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree and think it plays well. I've played Scenario One 2xs and enjoyed it each time. I've played Escape from Innsmouth x3 and enjoyed it each time too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Anglemark
Sweden
Storvreta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played one game with five players and everyone loved it. More fun than with just two players, which is how I've played the other two games I've played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Natas X
msg tools
People enjoy 5 players but I feel the monsters are curved a little high. I think the game really shines at 4. Monsters are scaled right, cuts down on time. Game is still fun at 2-3 players, but four seems to be the sweet spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jukka Lindström
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played the Scenario 3 (Shattered Bonds) some time ago with 5 people and had a blast. The scenario was quite easy to, not even close on being lost. I feel that was a factor of having 5 investigators there - so it might be more challenging with 3-4. Anyway it's a great scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Renier
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks all for the replies! We played "shattered bonds" with 5, and everyone had a blast. We did lose in the end through one investigator going insane for the second time, but were 1 turn away from winning. It felt a bit easier than the Innsmouth scenario with 4. I did notice the monsters were stronger.

All in all, to me it feels that the game scales really well with any player count, but I enjoyed the high player counts more.

Also, out of context, but having tried different ways, I prefer when we have a dedicated reader instead of passing around the ipad to an inactive player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.