Subject: Replay Value of Onirim and Other 'Oniverse' Games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am working on getting a selection of solo play games for my collection. I have a whole bunch of games picked out and several bought so I don't need any additional suggestions.

What I would like to get is some clarification on a few that I have found, particularly those in the 'Oniverse' series. This includes:

- Onirim (second edition) (I have this)
- Castellion
- Sylvion
- Urbion / Equilibrium (I think these are the same and I think these might be OOP?)

Even though these pop up a lot on solo lists, I am leery to get any more of them. I have Onirim and to be perfectly honest, I got bored with it pretty quickly. Even with the expansions it is still the same old thing every game. Repetitiveness is a surefire way to lose my interest very quickly. I want to take a look at the others but I'm concerned that they may also have low replay value.

For those of you that have played the other non-Onirim games, what were your thoughts? Do you recommend any of them more than Onirim or do you think I should avoid? If you do recommend, which one do you think has the most variety of play and the highest replay value?

(Edit to title)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryalyn wrote:
I am working on getting a selection of solo play games for my collection. I have a whole bunch of games picked out and several bought so I don't need any additional suggestions.

What I would like to get is some clarification on a few that I have found, particularly those in the 'Oniverse' series. This includes:

- Onirim (second edition) (I have this)
- Castellion
- Sylvion
- Urbion / Equilibrium (I think these are the same and I think these might be OOP?)

Even though these pop up a lot on solo lists, I am leery to get any more of them. I have Onirim and to be perfectly honest, I got bored with it pretty quickly. Even with the expansions it is still the same old thing every game. Repetitiveness is a surefire way to lose my interest very quickly. I want to take a look at the others but I'm concerned that they may also have low replay value.

For those of you that have played the other non-Onirim games, what were your thoughts? Do you recommend any of them more than Onirim or do you think I should avoid? If you do recommend, which one do you think has the most variety of play and the highest replay value?

(Edit to title)

I did not reply right away when I read your post, because I could not understand how Onirim could be repetitive.
I am a fan of Onirim, so probably there is something that clicked with me that didn't for you.
If you could explain with some more details what you found boring that would help.
Behind the repetitive draw/play one card I found an awesome game.

I'll try to answer as best as I can.

I have experience with Equilibrion. (Interested in others, but not played)
First of all, yes Urbion is the same game as Equilibrion (E. is the French edition I believe).
There is s the same "cycle" of play a card from your hand, then draw a card, that you find in Onirim. The game is to best position cards preparing to "scoring" (that you can trigger when you discard any card).
Some cards in the deck cause trouble (akin to nightmares in Onirim), but if you set the tableau right you can limit damages or even use them to your advantage.
If the card play in Onirim was boring, I guess Equilibrion will feel the same.
I find it a bit simpler to play than Onirim, once you understand that you have to (roughly) count cards.
I feel that Onirim has more varied situations in how the cards can come out and can be reacted to.
Equilibrion feels more a game of careful balance (ha!)

Hope this helps...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bodah
United States
Melrose
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Sylvion yet, but for me Castellion is the best of the bunch. It feels very fresh and tile placement is fun. There are three "levels" of difficulty. I've only played the first two and the second adds enough flavor to keep the game interesting for me. The third adds even more stuff

Onirim is a fine game, but it's pretty simple and the expansions feel tacked on to me. I kept it because it's still sort of fun to play the base game and I've really worn out my cards

Urbion is very mathy - there is a weird distribution of numbers and it helps to know or have a feel for that distribution to do well. The expansions work better here, but I still don't particularly like it and solid it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manisha DS
Canada
North York
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is easy to over play these solo games but Sylvion definitely provides enough variation to make it interesting for me each time I play it. It is meatier than Onirim but I can't speak for the others in the series.

The advanced game of Sylvion has a 'mobilization' deck building phase which ensures that the defense deck you're working with is a little different based on the strategy you want to apply. The expansions add more complexity and it is easy to increase difficulty by starting with more fire in the forest to begin with.

I would definitely recommend Sylvion if you like the idea of a 'Plants vs. Zombies' style tower defence game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm selling them all in an auction right now wink wink nudge nudge.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/213135/79-strats-help-fun...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
Great question. I've just splashed out on Sylvion and I think re-play-ability is an important factor.

But how do you design a solo game without too much luck that also has a high degree of re-playability?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you everyone for the replies! From the sounds of it, I might have to stick with the games that I already have.

Fried Egg wrote:
But how do you design a solo game without too much luck that also has a high degree of re-playability?

From my experience (or at least what appeals to me as highly re-playable) it has to do with the variety of options and choices in each turn.

For example, I've found both At the Gates of Loyang and 51st State: Master Set to be highly replayable because of the large number of options I have on a given turn and what happens to be available at that time. They have a significantly higher number of different cards that do various things. This gives them a higher number of drafting choices to make, actions to carry out, and order optimizing to do to make the most of each turn. Basically, I have to choose the right cards to take and figure out how to play things in the right order to be successful in the game. More often than not, the draft choices are not obvious. I usually have to really think about how they fit into my overall plan.

In the case of games like Onirim, there are a very limited number of card types and abilities. There is also pretty much one choice to make each turn: what card to play. That gets SO BORING for me. In that case, the choice I have to make is highly obvious so there is little to no thinking or strategizing to be had. The game is basically running itself. And that is just not fun for me.

In my mind, high replay has to involve some luck. Without it, players will simply play the same way every time; the way they found to be most optimized to their strategy. That is boring for me. Luck helps break that up to make players think a little more on their feet. Too much luck though can once again reduce players to limited choices and little overall strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
Having played around with "Syvion" quite a bit now I would say it has a fairly high degree of re-playability. That comes from having:

a) A fairly large amount of options each turn; you play as many cards as you like per turn as long as you can pay for them (with other cards; a bit like RfTG) so good hand management comes into play.

b) Lots of optional modules and ways to increase the difficulty. You've got the beginner game or the advanced game. And then two expansions and an appendix (the fire pawn) that you can mix and match as you please with the advanced game.

c) The advanced game begins with you mobilising your army which basically comprises of you drafting cards into your defender deck. You can use this phase to try and build up your deck in a certain way and form a strategy that you will later pursue when the attack begins.

That said, I'm sure it'll all get stale eventually but I think it has a fair amount of re-playability for its price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.