Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Twilight Struggle» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Is this opening hand that terrible? How do I play it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Docito
msg tools
us +2


Suez
Formosan
Doc gov
Un intervention
Decol
De Gaulle
Indo-pak
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Docito
msg tools
Docito wrote:
us +2


Suez
Formosan
Doc gov
Un intervention
Decol
De Gaulle
Indo-pak


And Europe scoring
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Rudd
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
(Note: I play in the Theory style. A Sankt style player will probably give different advice.)

It's not bad. Bear in mind that if you start with both Suez Crisis and de Gaulle, you'll then get an opportunity to put influence into France without worrying about those two cards.

Europe scoring is unlikely to hurt you and may help.

Formosan Resolution is probably the best headline. Decol as the hold card, SocGov as the space race card.

UN Intervention and IPW are probably best used for ops.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JackRudd wrote:
(Note: I play in the Theory style. A Sankt style player will probably give different advice.)

It's not bad. Bear in mind that if you start with both Suez Crisis and de Gaulle, you'll then get an opportunity to put influence into France without worrying about those two cards.

Europe scoring is unlikely to hurt you and may help.

Formosan Resolution is probably the best headline. Decol as the hold card, SocGov as the space race card.

UN Intervention and IPW are probably best used for ops.


I'd pretty much concur. Just want to emphasize the somewhat unintuitive playing of UN for ops -- that's key. That way you get to space the very unpleasant card (SocGov) and hold the terrible (Decol), ideally through to turn 3 when you space it (so it doesn't show up until turn 7 at the earliest, at which point it's reduced to an annoyance).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Leafman
United States
flag msg tools
Since you have literally every Soviet Early War event that affects Western Europe (except Blockade) and Europe Scoring, and you start with +2 US, you could theoretically set up 4 WG/3 FR/2 IT and headline Europe Scoring for a guaranteed 5 VP! Probably not worth it as you'll quickly lose the French influence to Suez/De Gaulle. Short term gain here is probably not worth all that wasted influence.

I kind of doubt that you'd be able to make a European domination work any other way with this hand--just not enough usable ops. So I'd headline Europe Scoring, it's guaranteed to be neutral and saves you 2 ops compared to headlining Formosan, your only other choice.

Your opponent will probably make a play in Asia/Middle East if you headline Europe Scoring. Try to play Suez early in the turn--be sure to expand into Egypt and/or Lebanon before knocking yourself out of Israel. I agree with the other posters that you should space Socialist Governments, play UN for ops, and hold Decol. I would not call this a strong hand overall (no 4 ops is a problem), but Indo-Pak and Decol are nice cards to draw.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tod Andrew
Australia
Wollongong
NSW
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You have no 4op card hence if opponent headlines Red scare and plays blockade you lose inf in WG. To prevent that you maight wish to setup 4 in Italy and 1 each in Sp/Gr/Tu.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tod Andrew
Australia
Wollongong
NSW
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You have no 4op card hence if opponent headlines Red scare and plays blockade you lose inf in WG. To prevent that you maight wish to setup 4 in Italy and 1 each in Sp/Gr/Tu.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Wei
China
flag msg tools
Theoretically..a terrible hand, all you need is hoping USSR has a low dice.

4WG-3IT-3IR

EU headline
AR1 Suez - 2 Egypt, 1 Malay(if Iran's out, then Formosa 2 Egypt)
AR2 space decol

then it's a free hand, hold UN+SG as an AR6 move - to defense blockade.

if got RS/P: just remove Asia from your map.
if USSR headline Nasser: go Lebanon/Iraq then.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King in Green
Japan
flag msg tools
mb
Playable I suppose. You can take 5VPs in Europe and forget the world or expand in Asia/ ME and not worry about Europe. I think I would headline Europe, space Decol for the VP (if RS/P then hold Decol, space Soc Gov, play UN) and UN Soc Gov for the ops.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sankt wrote:

AR1 Suez - 2 Egypt, 1 Malay(if Iran's out, then Formosa 2 Egypt)


Doesn't this just give USSR a second perfectly good coup target? What if Iraq is wiped out in the first USSR action.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Leafman
United States
flag msg tools
mkiefte wrote:
sankt wrote:

AR1 Suez - 2 Egypt, 1 Malay(if Iran's out, then Formosa 2 Egypt)


Doesn't this just give USSR a second perfectly good coup target? What if Iraq is wiped out in the first USSR action.


If the USSR coups Egypt at DEFCON 4, they have a good chance of failing unless they burn a high-ops card.

If the USSR tries it anyway and succeeds, DEFCON would then be 3, so the US is free to coup Egypt back and get the last word.

In my early days as a US player I usually played it safe and took Lebanon rather than venturing into Egypt, but lately I've found the latter to be far more rewarding. Grabbing Egypt on AR1 claims not one but two cost-effective Middle Eastern battlegrounds. You'd think a US foray into Egypt makes Nasser stronger, but it actually does the reverse--Nasser only deletes one US influence, and after playing it the Soviets will have to spend one extra influence of their own to make Egypt 3/1. And that one remaining US influence pays massive dividends, both by providing access to Libya and by making Sadat Expels Soviets much more powerful in the Mid War.

In fact, I think Nasser is a great Turn 1 headline for the USSR largely because it shuts off this US play. It's also nice that Nasser preserves ops in the USSR hand and wrecks a US Middle East Scoring headline.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CaiusDrewart wrote:

If the USSR coups Egypt at DEFCON 4, they have a good chance of failing unless they burn a high-ops card.

If the USSR tries it anyway and succeeds, DEFCON would then be 3, so the US is free to coup Egypt back and get the last word.


This assumes that the US has no intention of couping Iran back even though it's key to getting into Pakistan.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Leafman
United States
flag msg tools
mkiefte wrote:
CaiusDrewart wrote:

If the USSR coups Egypt at DEFCON 4, they have a good chance of failing unless they burn a high-ops card.

If the USSR tries it anyway and succeeds, DEFCON would then be 3, so the US is free to coup Egypt back and get the last word.


This assumes that the US has no intention of couping Iran back even though it's key to getting into Pakistan.


Well sure, if the US wants to counter-coup in Iran, then do that and hold off on Egypt until later. But if the US doesn't (because it's empty or because there's 3+ USSR influence there), the Egypt play at DEFCON 4 is a fine move.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.