$5.00
$20.00
$15.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Dominion: Empires» Forums » Rules

Subject: Arena Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Wood

Ohio
msg tools
Reading Arena, I wanted clarification. At the start of your Buy phase, you may discard an Action card. If you do, take 2 VP tokens. A player wants to discard additional actions. Does one then receive multiple VP tokens per action discard or does one not because it is only the start of your Buy phase one time?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
woodra wrote:
Reading Arena, I wanted clarification. At the start of your Buy phase, you may discard an Action card. If you do, take 2 VP tokens. A player wants to discard additional actions.


Unfortunately, he may not, because the Landmark only allows him to discard an (one) Action card.
4 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Hmm. Not really related to the original question, but...

Now I'm wondering if there's any circumstance in which it's advantageous to discard an action card from hand, i.e. where you'd want to do it even without the 2VP reward.

I'm struggling to think of one.

(Edit: So you can play it using Golem once you've bought a Villa. Maybe.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:
Hmm. Not really related to the original question, but...

Now I'm wondering if there's any circumstance in which it's advantageous to discard an action card from hand, i.e. where you'd want to do it even without the 2VP reward.

I'm struggling to think of one.

(Edit: So you can play it using Golem once you've bought a Villa. Maybe.)

You want to buy Farmland, but you don't want to trash a card. You have a circumstance in which Arena lets you arrange that.

You want to buy Annex and shuffle that card into your deck.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusing Manifestation
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're about to trash a Rats (via Watchtower or Farmland or something) which will trigger a reshuffle, you want that card in your deck.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Wood

Ohio
msg tools
So if I am understanding the thread correctly, Arena enables an ability in the sequence of the turn that usually would not be allowed (i.e. normally you would not be able to discard the action from your hand at the start of your Buy phase). And this ability remains active during the entirety of the game, even if there are no remaining VP tokens. Interesting.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Weaver
United States
Denver
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:
Hmm. Not really related to the original question, but...

Now I'm wondering if there's any circumstance in which it's advantageous to discard an action card from hand, i.e. where you'd want to do it even without the 2VP reward.

I'm struggling to think of one.

(Edit: So you can play it using Golem once you've bought a Villa. Maybe.)


You want to play Shanty Town and get the bonus, after buying a Villa so you discard your other action card.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
I sure hope you have some good cards coming up, with 3 actions in hand! You'd have to play the Villa before the Shanty Town, for the Shanty Town to trigger...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Maslen
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
clivej wrote:
Now I'm wondering if there's any circumstance in which it's advantageous to discard an action card from hand, i.e. where you'd want to do it even without the 2VP reward.

Discarding an Action card you have no desire to play prior to buying a Villa and playing it followed by a Library or any other card that draws cards to a given hand size.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another player played a Haunted Woods on their last turn and you have an Action card in your hand (perhaps a Ruins) that you'd rather not put on top of your deck.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LastFootnote wrote:
Another player played a Haunted Woods on their last turn and you have an Action card in your hand (perhaps a Ruins) that you'd rather not put on top of your deck.

Maybe you're taking a Possession turn and your opponent doesn't want you to put that Action card on your deck.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Wayne
msg tools
mb
woodra wrote:
So if I am understanding the thread correctly, Arena enables an ability in the sequence of the turn that usually would not be allowed (i.e. normally you would not be able to discard the action from your hand at the start of your Buy phase). And this ability remains active during the entirety of the game, even if there are no remaining VP tokens. Interesting.


I don't have the rules in front of me, but I think I recall that VP tokens are not limited and if you run out to use an appropriate substitute.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fatboy1370 wrote:
woodra wrote:
So if I am understanding the thread correctly, Arena enables an ability in the sequence of the turn that usually would not be allowed (i.e. normally you would not be able to discard the action from your hand at the start of your Buy phase). And this ability remains active during the entirety of the game, even if there are no remaining VP tokens. Interesting.


I don't have the rules in front of me, but I think I recall that VP tokens are not limited and if you run out to use an appropriate substitute.


VP tokens in general are not limited. However, the VP tokens placed on Arena are most certainly limited and do run out.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Wayne
msg tools
mb
dalestephenson wrote:
fatboy1370 wrote:
woodra wrote:
So if I am understanding the thread correctly, Arena enables an ability in the sequence of the turn that usually would not be allowed (i.e. normally you would not be able to discard the action from your hand at the start of your Buy phase). And this ability remains active during the entirety of the game, even if there are no remaining VP tokens. Interesting.


I don't have the rules in front of me, but I think I recall that VP tokens are not limited and if you run out to use an appropriate substitute.


VP tokens in general are not limited. However, the VP tokens placed on Arena are most certainly limited and do run out.


blush
Thank you, I should have interpreted that statement more carefully!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.