Jacob Cadena
United States
Carson City
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

I'm very much looking into getting into Armada, but I have a few questions.

For the Nebulon-B Frigate, Victory Class Star Destroyer, and the Corellian Corvette that's in the Core Set, I see that they're sold separately as expansions.

Is there anything included in these expansions such as new cards that aren't included in the Core Set that would warrant purchasing them, other than having duplicates?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated please, thanks!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes, they come with new upgrade cards. You can compare and contrast here:

Star Wars Armada Wikia

For example, here's the CR90 Expansion:

CR90 Coreliian Corvette Expansion Pack

Definitely recommended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Cadena
United States
Carson City
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for getting back!

I was planning on getting two of the Core Sets so I'd have two of everything, do you think it's better if I just get 1 Core Set and 1 of each of the expansions for the 3 ships? Is there really any benefit of getting a second Core Set?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is better to get the expansions than a second core set. Although extra dice and movement tools are nice, you can get those separately.

This site has a break down of which cards come with the various expansions.
http://armada.fabpsb.net/extensions.php?lng=en
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The second Core Set will include other things you'll want more of (dice, maybe a short maneuver tool for those tight spaces, perhaps even a second range ruler). But some of those cards with the expansions.... I can't see (as a fairly new player) wanting another Victory class model, but Motti is another story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Personally, I wouldn't get 2 Core sets. I would get 1 Core set + 1 of every expansion of the ships that come in the Core (and ultimately 1 of each expansion for the entire game). I would also pick up both the Imperial and Rebel fighter expansions.

You get far more utility this way with less duplication (mostly in ships and squadrons, but other things as well) and you're going to want the cards that come in those expansion packs anyway. In addition, you can often find the expansions on sale for a combined price that's less than it would cost to purchase the same ships/fighters in the Core.

Now, why would you get a second Core set? If you plan on owning 3 copies of the VSD, CR90 and Nebulon-B anyway, then I could (possibly) see purchasing 2 Core sets and then 1 of each expansion to get more of all the cards that come in the base game, but I'm still not sure that's a good idea.

The big thing you're missing out on by not picking up a second Core, in my book, is a second maneuver tool and more dice. Fortunately, this is easily remedied as FFG sells those items separately. So, here's my advice on what to buy starting out (and note, there are some other very good buying advice threads on BGG that I recommend reading):

x1 Core Set
x1 Maneuver Tool
x1-2 Dice Sets

x1 Victory-Class Star Destroyer Expansion Pack
x1 Gladiator-Class Star Destroyer Expansion Pack
x1 Imperial Fighter Squadrons Pack

x1 CR 90 Corellian Corvette Expansion Pack
x1 Nebulon-B Frigate Expansion Pack
x1 Rebel Fighter Squadrons Expansion Pack

And then either x1 Assault Frigate Mk II or x1 Home One expansion pack. I could also see augmenting the Imperials with a second Gladiator, a Raider, the ISD or the Imperial Assault Carriers expansion.

To be clear, this is an awesome game that grabbed me in a way X-Wing didn't (and I really like X-Wing). If it hooks you, you're gonna buy it all anyway!

EDIT: Check out this thread for more buying advice:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/23539370#23539370
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Commander Crud
msg tools
mbmbmb
I did the core set then one of each expansion of ships in the core set and extra dice and ruler to get more variety in the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Cadena
United States
Carson City
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the advice, I greatly appreciate it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Taylor
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SirKittyJuice wrote:
Thanks for getting back!

I was planning on getting two of the Core Sets so I'd have two of everything, do you think it's better if I just get 1 Core Set and 1 of each of the expansions for the 3 ships? Is there really any benefit of getting a second Core Set?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

It is a FAR better idea to get one core set and then one of each of the wave one expansions rather than two core sets because some of the upgrade cards that come included with the expansions are quite good (Intel Officer, Motti, Mon Mothma, Flight Controllers, Leading Shots, XI7 Turbolasers, new titles for all of those ships).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Durand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
you should have a look to the miniature market website, another player posted that they sell figs at a cheap price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Cadena
United States
Carson City
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FrStark wrote:
you should have a look to the miniature market website, another player posted that they sell figs at a cheap price.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
In fact, they are having a Back to School sale right now at Miniature Market until August 28th, and it includes all the ship expansions from the Core set.

For example, the Nebulon-B is $11, same with the CR90. The Maneuver Tool is $4.25, the Dice are $5.50 and the VSD is $22. The fighters are discounted too (you should grab those). Even the Core set is on sale. It's only $55, which is quite good. You should be able to hit the no shipping charge threshold of $99 without a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Cadena
United States
Carson City
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yipe wrote:
In fact, they are having a Back to School sale right now at Miniature Market until August 28th, and it includes all the ship expansions from the Core set.

For example, the Nebulon-B is $11, same with the CR90. The Maneuver Tool is $4.25, the Dice are $5.50 and the VSD is $22. The fighters are discounted too (you should grab those). Even the Core set is on sale. It's only $55, which is quite good. You should be able to hit the no shipping charge threshold of $99 without a problem.

Thanks, I'll probably have to hit this sale up before it ends and get it on what sounds to be a fantastic game! I appreciate everyone's input for this. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Inner West Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are looking at going into a tournament sort of scene then yes get the expansions for the cards. If not, proxy them and get a second core set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philtrees wrote:
If you are looking at going into a tournament sort of scene then yes get the expansions for the cards. If not, proxy them and get a second core set.

Yep. This exactly.

Using something like:
http://armadawarlords.hivelabs.solutions/

You can build your armies online and even use the printouts that provide all the rules on the cards. I find it far easier to build armies using the above website. It saves so much space during play. I stopped using the upgrade cards and now they just sit collecting dust.

So if you've got the money, buy everything to support the company. If you want to be conservative, buy two core sets and use a website to build your armies. You'll have virtual access to all printed cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Cadena
United States
Carson City
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone,

Here's what I was thinking of getting, let me know if you think some are unnecessary for the quantities (the miniature market sale is too good to pass up right now):

Core Set x 1
Dice Pack x 2
Maneuever Tool x 1

Gladiator Class Star Destroyer x 2
Imperial Class Star Destroyer x 3
Interdictor Class Star Destroyer x 2
Victory Class Star Destroyer x 3
Imperial Raider x 2 (Do I need 2?)
Imperial Light Cruiser x 2 (Do I need 2?)
Imperial Assault Carriers x 2 (Do I need 2?)
Imperial Fighter Squadrons x 2
Imperial Fighter Squadrons II x 2

Home One Expansion x 2
Assault Frigate Mark II x 3
CR90 Corellian Corvette x 3
Rebel Transports Pack x 2 (Do I need 2?)
Rebel Fighter Squadrons x 2
Rebel Fighter Squadrons II x 2
Phoenix Home Expansion x 2
Nebulon B-Frigate x 3 (Do I need 3?)
MC30C Frigate x 3
Liberty Expansion x 2

Rogues and Villians Pack x 1

I do plan on playing competitively, any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sena
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I bought two core sets when it first came out, then one of each of the ships in the core set to get the new cards etc..

It would have been better to skip the 2nd core set and just get another Maneuver Tool and more dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will you ever actually field 3x Imperial-class? They're over 100 pts a pop, and you'll still need a commander and want upgrades even if you go squadronless. Did you perhaps mean 3x Gladiator-class? That I could see.

I can't see wanting 3x Nebulon-B either, but it's at least POSSIBLE. I just can't see a case for that many light ships that doesn't work better with Ackbar and CR90s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Cadena
United States
Carson City
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
demoss1 wrote:
Will you ever actually field 3x Imperial-class? They're over 100 pts a pop, and you'll still need a commander and want upgrades even if you go squadronless. Did you perhaps mean 3x Gladiator-class? That I could see.

I can't see wanting 3x Nebulon-B either, but it's at least POSSIBLE. I just can't see a case for that many light ships that doesn't work better with Ackbar and CR90s.

Thanks for the input, I guess I'll bump down the Nebulon-B and get 1 more Gladiator class instead.

Any thoughts or suggestions on the items I highlighted in bold, for the smaller ships of both factions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the Neb-B.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to like it, but it flies very differently from most Rebel ships. Next time I want to do a non-Ackbar Rebel list (which may be a long time, since my son seems to prefer to fly Rebels even though I think the Empire suits his personality better), I'm sure I'll give a couple Nebulons a try again.

That ridiculously small arc for the front guns doesn't help. IMO, that's just as bad a flaw as the wide, weak side shields.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Wow, that's quite the list! If you have the cash to burn, then sure, go for it, though it's a big investment into a game you are just starting to learn. Perhaps dial it back a little so you can focus in on a smaller number of ships and upgrade combinations?

First, there will be other online Armada sales (MM and Amazon being the most frequent). It's a common occurrence, so don't feel like you need to get everything all at once. Based on what you're willing to spend, here's what I'd buy to start out:

Core Set x 1
Dice Pack x 2
Maneuever Tool x 1

Imperial Class Star Destroyer Exp x 1-2
Victory Class Star Destroyer Exp x 1-2
Imperial Raider x 3-4
Imperial Fighter Squadrons x 2-3

Home One Expansion x 1
Assault Frigate Mark II x 2
Nebulon-B Exp x1
CR90 Corellian Corvette Exp x 2-3
MC30C Frigate x 2-3

If there's a spread, say 2-3, then I would purchase the lower amount, but that's due to weighing my gaming budget vs how much I get to play Armada these days. You may want to get more if you've got the time and money to spare.

You'll notice I cut out all of Waves 3 and 4. Why?

This focuses on the Core and Waves 1 and 2 so you're not overloaded with stuff. I've seen this happen with X-Wing and LCGs, where someone buys a ton of product all at once to play catch-up, but then much of it goes unused as they look at the current meta, use only that stuff, and the rest goes in a box.

That's fine, but it does mean you skip the learning process that veteran players went through to gain experience with earlier builds and playing styles - the fundamentals as it were. If you're going to play competitively, it might be a good idea to take it slow at first, get a solid handle on the basics and then work your way up. The above list should give you plenty to chew on and be perfectly competitive as you figure out your own tactics and strategies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Cadena
United States
Carson City
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yipe wrote:
Wow, that's quite the list! If you have the cash to burn, then sure, go for it, though it's a big investment into a game you are just starting to learn. Perhaps dial it back a little so you can focus in on a smaller number of ships and upgrade combinations?

First, there will be other online Armada sales (MM and Amazon being the most frequent). It's a common occurrence, so don't feel like you need to get everything all at once. Based on what you're willing to spend, here's what I'd buy to start out:

Core Set x 1
Dice Pack x 2
Maneuever Tool x 1

Imperial Class Star Destroyer Exp x 1-2
Victory Class Star Destroyer Exp x 1-2
Imperial Raider x 3-4
Imperial Fighter Squadrons x 2-3

Home One Expansion x 1
Assault Frigate Mark II x 2
Nebulon-B Exp x1
CR90 Corellian Corvette Exp x 2-3
MC30C Frigate x 2-3

If there's a spread, say 2-3, then I would purchase the lower amount, but that's due to weighing my gaming budget vs how much I get to play Armada these days. You may want to get more if you've got the time and money to spare.

You'll notice I cut out all of Waves 3 and 4. Why?

This focuses on the Core and Waves 1 and 2 so you're not overloaded with stuff. I've seen this happen with X-Wing and LCGs, where someone buys a ton of product all at once to play catch-up, but then much of it goes unused as they look at the current meta, use only that stuff, and the rest goes in a box.

That's fine, but it does mean you skip the learning process that veteran players went through to gain experience with earlier builds and playing styles - the fundamentals as it were. If you're going to play competitively, it might be a good idea to take it slow at first, get a solid handle on the basics and then work your way up. The above list should give you plenty to chew on and be perfectly competitive as you figure out your own tactics and strategies.

Thanks a bunch! I greatly appreciate your feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Merritt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are going to spend more than $125.00 I suggest Cardhaus.com. They are cheaper than Miniature Market and Cool Stuff Inc. but not competitive for shipping unless you spend $125 or more. I use them to buy in bulk and look for sales on all three of these sites (Cardhaus has sales sometimes but it is very subtle, and you have to check the prices often). All three of these sites are excellent, it's a matter of finding those sales!

As far as what to buy I suggest getting a second deck of damage cards. It's harder to replace them than the other components/ships so I would go for two core sets. I started with two cores when Armada was released but only because that's all there was at the time (delay on Wave One, a common occurrence for this game), and I don't like running small fleets! Also, you will want to have a total of three sets of dice!!

p.s.: This game is awesome, by the way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
bluefalcon251 wrote:
If you are going to spend more than $125.00 I suggest Cardhaus.com.

MM is having a barn-burner of a sale on most of the Armada line, so it's far cheaper to order there than Cardhaus right now.

A third set of dice is a good idea.

By the way, I recommended up to 4 Raiders as there's at least 1 classic build (Gladiator + 4 Raiders) that relies on out-activating your opponent and then melting their ships with the Demolisher title. You could possibly sub in a few Imperial Assault Carriers, but I'm not sure about that. Perhaps a higher ranking officer with more flight time will come along and make that call?

I recommended up to 3 Imperial Fighters expansions as some builds rely on Major Rhymer + multiple TIE Bombers, and you only get 2 TIE Bombers per pack.

Finally, you could grab up to 3 MC30s as they are the only expansion (so far) to come with Assault Proton Torpedoes which is a pretty good Ordnance upgrade. Plus, with Home One, and later on the Liberty, you could run an all Mon Calamari fleet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.