$30.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Scythe» Forums » Rules

Subject: Automa non-combat move clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Lopez
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, this seems to have been referenced, but I can't find where now, and I want to be absolutely clear on how the mech/character moves work.

My (new) understanding is that a mech's/character's current neighborhood counts when figuring out movement. Therefore, in the image below, if the yellow Automa mech gets a non-combat move, it would move upward to the lake territory, correct? I figure that in this situation, there are three places it can go: that lake, the tundra next to Crimea's character, or stay put, but breaking the tie by reading order, that lake would come first. Correct?

Furthermore, in this way, it is possible for a character or the only mech Automa has, to actually break free of the "cluster/hive" that is normally formed by automa movement, and start marching across the board. Is that right? It seems unlikely, but it IS possible, correct?




Thank you for your help. I think with this clarification I will have a pretty good grasp of the rules, finally. It only took between 4 and 6 solo games.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I reach the same conclusion. If there is another mech on the automa base (or closer to it), it would be this one moving to the lake rather than the mech shown on the picture.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Lesus
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're correct, but let's go through "non-attacking move mech" step-by-step:

1) SELECT UNIT
There's obviously only one choice here, unless there's a shy mech hiding off camera somewhere.

2) VALID TERRITORIES
You're looking for "territories in the neighborhood of Automa units with no enemy units or Automa combat units other than the one selected in step 1." So, among others, the empty hexes around the mech and the space that the mech is currently on are fair game, since the mech is the piece being moved.

3) PICK UP THE SELECTED MECH
Note that this happens after determining valid territories.

4) CHOOSE DESTINATION TERRITORY

Now you want to find which of the valid territories from step 2, which still includes the hexes in the neighborhood of the mech before you picked it up, is the shortest distance from an enemy combat unit. It's going to be one of the valid territories that is directly next to a black plastic piece.

TIEBREAKER 1 (closest to factory)
This narrows it down further to one of the hexes directly adjacent to the factory (the factory itself was not a valid territory because it contained an enemy unit).

TIEBREAKER 2 (reading order)
The first valid territory encountered in reading order would be the lake directly above the factory (the forest to the left is earlier in reading order but was not a valid territory because it was not in the neighborhood of an Automa unit during step 2).

5) PLACE SELECTED MECH
Just like you said, that mech moves to the lake. Nailed it!


5 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Lesus
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCrazyPiper wrote:

Furthermore, in this way, it is possible for a character or the only mech Automa has, to actually break free of the "cluster/hive" that is normally formed by automa movement, and start marching across the board. Is that right? It seems unlikely, but it IS possible, correct?


Hmm... if you were to do another non-combat mech move, I believe the mech would move from the lake to the forest on the left, still above the factory. Yet another non-combat mech move and it would "move" on to that exact same forest hex again. It would reach a kind of equilibrium unless one of the Saxony combat units moved, in which case the Automa mech might continue "chasing" it through its own neighborhood.

It's not likely at all that the Automa would be able to make more than one non-combat mech move in a row, though. It would be making other types of moves in between to fight or group up again. It's a neat thing to consider, though. It's pretty impressive what a deck of cards can simulate.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lopez
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mlesus wrote:
TheCrazyPiper wrote:

Furthermore, in this way, it is possible for a character or the only mech Automa has, to actually break free of the "cluster/hive" that is normally formed by automa movement, and start marching across the board. Is that right? It seems unlikely, but it IS possible, correct?


Hmm... if you were to do another non-combat mech move, I believe the mech would move from the lake to the forest on the left, still above the factory. Yet another non-combat mech move and it would "move" on to that exact same forest hex again. It would reach a kind of equilibrium unless one of the Saxony combat units moved, in which case the Automa mech might continue "chasing" it through its own neighborhood.

It's not likely at all that the Automa would be able to make more than one non-combat mech move in a row, though. It would be making other types of moves in between to fight or group up again. It's a neat thing to consider, though. It's pretty impressive what a deck of cards can simulate.


Yes, I understood that to be the case. Sorry, my example was unclear. In this hypothetical I meant a different situation, not the one on the board. For example, in an early game situation before my faction had spread out much, Automa units might be able to spread away from the collective if the right combination of cards emerged. Something like this came up in another thread where users questioned a photograph the poster had uploaded. That was the first time it occurred to me that a unit's own neighborhood could Advance it. Previously, I had thought that a unit at the Vanguard of the collection could go no further because he would essentially need to stay connected to his group.

Thanks for the help everyone! I'm really enjoying this solo game. And that's from someone who normally doesn't play solo.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Studley
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Who fell asleep in the rain? Did you fall asleep in the rain? Yes you did. Oh yes you did.
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCrazyPiper wrote:

Thanks for the help everyone! I'm really enjoying this solo game. And that's from someone who normally doesn't play solo.


Glad to hear you're enjoying our Automa. Thanks to everyone for helping out. You all get full marks and you did a great job of explaining, mlesus.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It moves to the lake north of the black character piece correct?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
It moves to the lake north of the black character piece correct?


Yes, that is correct. Thank you everyone for helping out here.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCrazyPiper wrote:
Thanks for the help everyone! I'm really enjoying this solo game. And that's from someone who normally doesn't play solo.


My quest to make multiplayer gamers come to the dark side claims another victim .
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mlesus wrote:
It's pretty impressive what a deck of cards can simulate.


So glad to hear you say that .
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mlesus wrote:
It's not likely at all that the Automa would be able to make more than one non-combat mech move in a row, though. It would be making other types of moves in between to fight or group up again. It's a neat thing to consider, though. It's pretty impressive what a deck of cards can simulate.


For some reason I'm now imagining the Dark AI of the Automa Faction occasionally going on the blink when facing Gunter, and having a mech chase him and his wolves across Eastern Europe yelling "Doggy!"
2 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Studley
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Who fell asleep in the rain? Did you fall asleep in the rain? Yes you did. Oh yes you did.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gizensha wrote:
mlesus wrote:
It's not likely at all that the Automa would be able to make more than one non-combat mech move in a row, though. It would be making other types of moves in between to fight or group up again. It's a neat thing to consider, though. It's pretty impressive what a deck of cards can simulate.


For some reason I'm now imagining the Dark AI of the Automa Faction occasionally going on the blink when facing Gunter, and having a mech chase him and his wolves across Eastern Europe yelling "Doggy!"


Where'd you find the script?!??

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Waite
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Why isn't the tundra in front of the black mech not
The hex? It is in the neighborhood of three units( which is
The most)and Next to the black mech. I'm confused. The water
Appears not to be in the neighborhood.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Studley
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Who fell asleep in the rain? Did you fall asleep in the rain? Yes you did. Oh yes you did.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jim. For the Non-combat Mech Move, you don't count how many units it is in the neighborhood of. You are looking to be the shortest distance from any enemy combat unit. It can be 1 enemy combat unit or 5. It doesn't matter for the Non-combat Mech Move. The hex you mention (next to the black mech) is a valid one (it is closest to the factory and in the neighborhood of that black mech), but the one that Automa selects is the water hex to the northeast of the factory because it is also in the neighborhood of the character on the factory and therefore 'wins' because of the 'reading' tiebreaker.

The water hex *is* in the neighborhood of the mech that is being moved, so it is a valid hex.

I hope this clears it up for you. Let me know if you have further questions.

Cheers, David
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.