16 Posts

Scythe» Forums » Rules

Subject: Objective Cards: I wonder... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Malahias Zumakalis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After they're dealt, why not put the rest back in the box, since they're not in use, anymore? As we do with Factory Cards...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Huynh
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I may be wrong, but I recall reading that in a future expansion there may be a way to use the objective deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
torgo shuffle
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I seem to recall there being a faction ability with the expansion that dealt with the objective deck...?
Edit - ha! So ninja'd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I figured someday I might design a faction that interacted more with the objective card deck, so it's better to have a place for it on the board than none at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me three...Pretty sure Jamey posted about them being used more in a future expansion when someone else asked about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malahias Zumakalis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now, THAT'S news!
Thank you, Jamey!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
ParisPink wrote:
Me three...Pretty sure Jamey posted about them being used more in a future expansion when someone else asked about it.

Yes, in this threads:
What's the point of the objective deck space on the board?
Why no Space on the board for structure bonus tile?
Objective Deck Space on the Board

and now also here: Re: Objective Cards: I wonder...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sun Of A Beach wrote:
Now, THAT'S news!
Thank you, Jamey!

It's just an idea at this point. I don't think there are any plans at this point (correct me if I'm wrong, Jamey).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean stockton
msg tools
mbmb
We came to a very minor (I suppose) House Rule when I was demo'ing the game for some people:

A new player was looking over her objective cards in the second round and realized that she had inadvertently rendered BOTH of her objectives unachievable the round before, mostly from inexperience. I honestly don't recall which they were or the total scenario, she was just unable to get her objectives.

After a table wide vote, we allowed her to pay five coins to purchase two new objective cards. I know my daughter has definitely been intimidated by some of them, as well...I may institute that choice as a one-time option going forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I wrong or are the five coins most of the time more valuable than a star through the objective card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZdadrDeM wrote:
ParisPink wrote:

Yes, in this threads:
What's the point of the objective deck space on the board?
Why no Space on the board for structure bonus tile?
Objective Deck Space on the Board

and now also here: Re: Objective Cards: I wonder...

I feel sorry for the Search Function... It's feeling more and more neglected all the time!

Here's the link for Scythe's Search form: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/search/thing/169786

(A user can more easily get there by clicking on "Search" in the top right corner). And BTW, make sure to highlight the "Rules" section, or you'll likely face a lot of useless returns.

Now, regarding the OP's question - as long as we're here... we use that space for players to put their discards. No particular reason - it just seems fitting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about trading in combat cards instead? Say three or four combat cards for one objective card? I'd not normally do it, but there will be times when you're desperate enough (or have combat cards to spare).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kraack
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZdadrDeM wrote:
Am I wrong or are the five coins most of the time more valuable than a star through the objective card?

You're not wrong...the max value of a star achieved from an objective is 5. So unless the player was playing the faction that can get multiple objective stars, this seems like a bad deal and she should have just kept her coins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean stockton
msg tools
mbmb
We settled on 5 coins, mostly as a measure of "are you SURE you want to do this" and most of the players at my board at that moment saw Objectives as a Very Important Thing...thus the higher value.

I agree with you, 5 coins is high. But it helps to discourage players from seeing two cards that require medium effort and try to buy a simpler to achieve star.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Morton
msg tools
pr0phetbg wrote:
We settled on 5 coins, mostly as a measure of "are you SURE you want to do this" and most of the players at my board at that moment saw Objectives as a Very Important Thing...thus the higher value.

I don't think "it feels important" is a good reason to outweigh the math of "this is worth at most five points and only if you complete it."

There IS an argument to be made that an objective is worth more than just its star value at the end of the game because it could help you rush the finish (and objectives can be particularly good at contributing to the surprise-multi-star-game-ending turns), but since that's only relevant if you're the one to end the game, and there's just as good a chance that your random draw will give you another terrible one, setting the value of a replacement objective at the maximum point value you can get from an objective still seems way too high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean stockton
msg tools
mbmb
I agree with you. I was just going with the will of the table, so I could get on with my demo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.