The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Is this nearing its end? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The question is simple; is this the game nearing its end meaning new decks are going to get more and more difficult to acquire, without reprints, and - if so - hypothetically speaking, what chances are we looking for a 2nd edition of the game (i.e. would this, still early enough, be the perfect moment to sell/trade the copy).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
We have no evidence to support that this game is ending any time soon. They still have to finish the LOTR Saga line. We are in the middle of the Dream Chaser cycle. We already had an announcement for the next Deluxe expansion which traditionally kicks off the next cycle of packs.

If anything we have evidence to suggest we have over a year of content still in the pipe at least if not longer assuming all of those products are released once a month with no break.

Also we have a thriving online community so that suggests the player base is still quite big for the game. The player card pool in this game grows slower than other LCGs as well since most of each release is devoted to the quests. Therefore it doesn't have the same issue as other games of it's vintage where the player card pool has grown too large.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, there is no chance of this game ending before 2018 and I think there is a <1% chance of them rebooting with a 2nd edition, at least in the near future. Virtually none of the reasons for rebooting Game of Thrones apply to LotR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Lent
United States
Novato
California
flag msg tools
DEFINITELY A GOOD GUY, GUYS
mbmbmbmbmb
why do people keep asking this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
We have confirmation from people at FFG that they want to keep the game in print even if they stop making new expansions. They said it's selling overwhelmingly well, and the constant reprinting backs that up.

Just watch the Upcoming page on their site - it's rare to see a day without a LotR reprint on the list

A second edition wouldn't be much point. Perhaps an updated core with a rewritten manual at most, but I doubt it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are threads On. This. Very. Topic. from the past 6 months:
Is there likely to be a 2nd edition released which would replace this?
LOTR LCG no longer in the Hotness list?
License will expire soon? (RUMOR)
speculation finale

Not quite as many as I seem to remember but still.
No its not going to end before 2018 at least (barring unforseen circumstances) and I only give that date because material for that far out is already in design.
The game is healthy, has a wide and dedicated base, great community, 2 podcasts dedicated to it, 2 designers in love with the source material, and support from the publisher CEO who views it as a pet project, personally contributing to the story in each box.

Not going anywhere soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll agree the core set and expansions aren't going anywhere anytime soon. The saga is nearing its end (one left to release) and so far there is unfortunately no hint of any new sagas using material from the appendices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gnurf wrote:
We have confirmation from people at FFG that they want to keep the game in print even if they stop making new expansions. They said it's selling overwhelmingly well, and the constant reprinting backs that up.

Who is we? What kind of confirmation? Do we have some sales data?

Just because they have some content planned, doesn't exactly mean that this content is going to be released. I'd like LOTR to last as much as the next guy, but recent FFG moves (especially Arkham) makes me believe, they are preparing to shutdown LOTR, sooner or later. Then, there are the license expiring rumors and the cost/effort needed to re-acquire. My assumption is another big pack, next cycle after Dreamchaser, last Saga and that would be it.

But fingers crossed it isn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Ft. Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there's much incentive at all for a v2.0 reboot. Unlike the PvP games, the LotR co-op has had a fairly limited amount of errata and complications.

OTOH, (if not already done) I wouldn't be surprised if future core reprints incorporated the errata.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:

OTOH, (if not already done) I wouldn't be surprised if future core reprints incorporated the errata.

That's standard FFG policy. New prints always have errata'd cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mistertrench wrote:
i keep seeing people post sarcastic 'the game is ending' all the times. to the point where i almost called someone out the last time, stating that the only people i ever saw were these same people who sarcastically bring it up as a total non-sequitur

then i see threads like this one and think 'nope... carry on'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Lent
United States
Novato
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dr00 wrote:
mistertrench wrote:
i keep seeing people post sarcastic 'the game is ending' all the times. to the point where i almost called someone out the last time, stating that the only people i ever saw were these same people who sarcastically bring it up as a total non-sequitur

then i see threads like this one and think 'nope... carry on'

It's just such needless worrying. Until that day in 2019 or whenever, when we go to FFG and see a big splash saying, "Into the West" (you guys can have that one for free) I don't see this as a question that needs consideration. EVEN THEN, the game will have close to a decade of development, each quest will probably have three playable versions, Strange Eons and Photoshop will still be around, and we'll still have a 20 quest plus campaign version of the books to play through and explore until we die or lose interest, whichever comes first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:

We being people who actually read everything FFG post

I think they used the term "best-seller" in the last article I read on the subject. If this game was dying, would they reprint five big box expansions at once?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
esteban hoogma
Chile
flag msg tools
delet this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
This kind of anxiety just goes to show how essentially important this game has become to so many gamers. Since I started playing this game six months ago, I haven't played much of anything else. It's very enjoyable, infinitely re-playable and anyone is entitled to whatever concerns he or she may have about the game's future. I don't think anyone would ever like to see this game come to an end. Fortunately, the news from FFG has been pretty much unanimously positive. Not only does the game have a healthy community of players, but that community continues to grow almost daily, if the number of posts from new players in this forum is any judge of continued vitality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Time only moves forward, so yes, it is nearing its end. It is inevitable!

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so bored of these threads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sargeras777 wrote:
The question is simple

The question is silly .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gnurf wrote:

Just watch the Upcoming page on their site - it's rare to see a day without a LotR reprint on the list

A second edition wouldn't be much point. Perhaps an updated core with a rewritten manual at most, but I doubt it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought my first Core set only this week.

I've known of the game for ages, but only recently watched the Dice Tower review, the official FFG tutorial and the WatchItPlayed series. I ordered the Core set immediately after watching these.

I hope it isn't nearing the end, reading this thread suggests not - but even if it is I still plan to buy as many expansions as I can as it seems amazing from what little I've seen. I love LotR and I love deckbuilding, I am kind of asking myself why it's taken me so long to pick it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Johnson
msg tools
The game is over 5 years old, and over 400 people have answered the "How do you play LoTR" Poll. Only FFGs Management see the sales figures no doubt, but it looks pretty healthy from here!

The game has to end sometime, but I reckon that so long as sales hold up, they can squeeze out at least another couple of cycles after Sands of Harad, plus an infinite number of single packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
gnurf wrote:

Just because they have some content planned, doesn't exactly mean that this content is going to be released. I'd like LOTR to last as much as the next guy, but recent FFG moves (especially Arkham) makes me believe, they are preparing to shutdown LOTR, sooner or later. Then, there are the license expiring rumors and the cost/effort needed to re-acquire. My assumption is another big pack, next cycle after Dreamchaser, last Saga and that would be it.

But fingers crossed it isn't.

It always important to weigh both sides of the argument to form a rational opinion, but I'm having a hard time reasoning how Arkham's Release has anything to do with LOTR's future. If LOTR is profitable and they already have the cards designed for a cycle and a half worth of releases I don't see any reason to assume those packs won't be released. We don't have any evidence to support FFG is going to drop the LOTR license (aside from rumors with no factual backing), which would be the only other reason to drop the game before it's proper end. Arkham appears to be replacing CoC in FFG's LCG slots. Just like Conquest replaced Invasion. Just because they are both Co-Op doesn't mean they directly compete with each other. We have L5R coming down the pipe, but I think we have stronger evidence to suggest it's probably replacing one of the other games and not LOTR.

I'm just saying let's wait until we have a reasonable suspicion before we start going down this rabbit hole again. If anything we have strong evidence that in the near term this game is very healthy and easy for FFG to manage (considering it's not a competitive game). The game will eventually end (just like we'll all eventually die), but we don't have to think about it constantly. It's better to enjoy what we have when we have it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Lent
United States
Novato
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that it is fair to say, "my unfounded reason is worth equal consideration as your evidence."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
holoio wrote:
delet this

Sorry, it's not possible for others to delete your posts. You will have to do this yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cornishlee wrote:
I'm so bored of these threads.

...and yet you clicked on it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.