BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Trade Goods rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Schwenke
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I'm working on a game where you trade goods during the age of sail. I think I want only 6 types of goods. I need to order 6 colors of cubes to match. The assortment pack of cubes has 5 colors; white, yellow, blue, black, and red.

So I'm thinking
white = sugar
yellow = corn
black = spices
blue = silk?
red = ???

I need something for red, and I need a 6th color/good as well. The map is rather abstract so I don't care about matching a real country or ocean. I just want to choose 6 goods that are commonly known.

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Greer
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
rum?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Sirenko
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
Justin Case wrote:
I'm working on a game where you trade goods during the age of sail. I think I want only 6 types of goods. I need to order 6 colors of cubes to match. The assortment pack of cubes has 5 colors; white, yellow, blue, black, and red.

So I'm thinking
white = sugar
yellow = corn
black = spices
blue = silk?
red = ???

I need something for red, and I need a 6th color/good as well. The map is rather abstract so I don't care about matching a real country or ocean. I just want to choose 6 goods that are commonly known.

Thanks in advance.

red = wine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Sirenko
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
Justin Case wrote:

So I'm thinking
white = sugar
yellow = corn
black = spices
blue = silk?
red = ???

Thanks in advance.

blue = fish
as for last color you could go with
green = olives; olive oil; wood
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Schwenke
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Yes, these are good answers. The most popular items traded that come to mind include; cotton, coffee, tobacco, tea, wool, ivory, grain, furs...

I would like to get 6 of the MOST popular things to trade, but sugar, ivory, and cotton would all need to be white cubes. Tobacco and coffee would both need to be brown...etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Schwenke
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
What i mean is the first 4 I have would be included in anyone's list of top dozen trade goods for the era. Would like to finish with 2 more. I could see "wine" for red (because it fits red), although maybe I should call it liquor?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does have to be cubes?
Can't you have counters with images?
Much more thematic. And not limited to get something for a certain colour.

What are you going to use on the playing cards or the board(s) (if there are any)?
If you use images on those, then why have cubes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Sirenko
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
Justin Case wrote:
What i mean is the first 4 I have would be included in anyone's list of top dozen trade goods for the era. Would like to finish with 2 more. I could see "wine" for red (because it fits red), although maybe I should call it liquor?

well the most commonly shipped liqour (if you could call it liqour) would be wine because that was the most common booze available. Beer and rum were also shipped goods but wine was so common that there is even an immediate association of wine being found in shipwrecks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Schwenke
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I was thinking of using barrels like in puerto rico. I'm having a real problem with limited space.

I want to place a good and coins on each ship.
I want two ships to fit on each space.
I want a port (or Colony) to fit on a space.
I want 6 goods, coins, and an army token to fit in a port...as well as the two visiting ships.

So I'm thinking about having cards off the board that represent the ports and place items on them. Which still requires a flag or something on the port on the board that matches the each port card.

I'm also thinking of having a card for each ship off the board as well where players can place the coins and goods that each ship is carrying. But it would be nice to still be able to put 6 different kinds of cubes on each port on the board so players could see what goods that port requires most. (The idea is that each port requires one of each good).

With each space being 1.75 inches (4.5 cm)I still have a huge board about 26 (66 cm) inches square.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Schwenke
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
3CreativeMinds wrote:
Justin Case wrote:

well the most commonly shipped liqour (if you could call it liqour) would be wine because that was the most common booze available. Beer and rum were also shipped goods but wine was so common that there is even an immediate association of wine being found in shipwrecks.

Good Pointmeeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Herr
United States
Palos Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
designer78 wrote:
rum?

RED RUM! RED RUM!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I already like this list

white = sugar
yellow = corn
black = spices
blue = silk

I would add

red = fur (or even go with livestock/meat)

brown / unpainted = tobacco

(just gotta be careful with how close the yellow and brown shades are)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geordie Young
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
If World of Warcraft taught me anything (besides the fact that I really needed to re-evaluate my priorities as a college freshman), it's that Silk=Pink.

I'm seeing some inconsistencies in how specific you're being. Example: Spices vs Corn. Corn could be called Grain to be more equivalent to "spices," or Spices could be called Salt, etc. etc.

IMO, based on historically popular trade goods:

Generalized Names:

Cloth = Pink
Spices = Red
Metals = Black
Fur (Hide? Pelts?) = Brown
Grains (or Crops) = Yellow (or green)
Gems = Blue

Specific Names:

Silk = Pink
Salt = White
Copper = Red (orange?)
Tobacco = Green
Fur = Brown
Corn = Yellow

Good luck with your undertaking!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rietveld
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Make it Plaid = Canadians.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Sirenko
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
JRietveld wrote:
Make it Plaid = Canadians.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
red = (chili) peppers ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sonora
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since your game is abstracted, maybe make the trade goods more abstracted. Textiles instead of silk, grain instead of corn, ore instead of specific metals. One "luxury" good that could represent coffee, cocoa, tea or sugar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Schwenke
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Thanks for all your suggestions.
Stormtower wrote:
I already like this list

white = sugar
yellow = corn
black = spices
blue = silk

I would add

red = fur (or even go with livestock/meat)

brown / unpainted = tobacco

(just gotta be careful with how close the yellow and brown shades are)

Yes, I think Brown could be tobacco or maybe dark brown for coffee.
GeordieY wrote:
If World of Warcraft taught me anything (besides the fact that I really needed to re-evaluate my priorities as a college freshman), it's that Silk=Pink.

I'm seeing some inconsistencies in how specific you're being. Example: Spices vs Corn. Corn could be called Grain to be more equivalent to "spices," or Spices could be called Salt, etc. etc.

IMO, based on historically popular trade goods:

Generalized Names:

Cloth = Pink
Spices = Red
Metals = Black
Fur (Hide? Pelts?) = Brown
Grains (or Crops) = Yellow (or green)
Gems = Blue

Specific Names:

Silk = Pink
Salt = White
Copper = Red (orange?)
Tobacco = Green
Fur = Brown
Corn = Yellow

Good luck with your undertaking!

Well, I know blue isn't really correct for silk...but I wanted something that could be blue and I liked silk better than gems or fish. Although I think you are right that salt was by far the most traded spice, I can use white for other things, like sugar which I want to use for sure.
I have no desire to use both red and pink. With only 6 colors and 2 of them being black & white, it should be easy to stay clear of any colorblind issues.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts. I think I have what I need. It's nice to be able to throw a thought out and get some quick opinions on any little issue! Thanks everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.