8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: What Should I Be Looking For? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dylan Winn
Canada
flag msg tools
Me and my girlfriend are just getting into games, started with Ditch Blitz and Blokus. Now we have been playing Pandemic Contagion and Boss Monster, we both enjoy these games. She enjoys Boss Monster a bit more. I just bought Welcome to the Dungeon and King of Tokyo to try, but they haven't arrived yet. We are looking for good 2 player games with the similar concepts and mechanics. Only occasionally do we get to play with three or more people. What do you recommend?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chiriboga
United States
Oviedo
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Age of War is a light dice game with the same yahtzee mechanic as KoT.

Might like Star Realms, too.

And any of the sets of Dice Masters, but make sure you like that before you dive into it.

Could also look at Elder Sign for a co-op or Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers for a more substantial combat game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Biblios
Patchwork
Splendor
Isle of Skye

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the Dungeon looks fun but I don't think it's going to be a good game for just two players. I'm not sure King of Tokyo would be as good two player either.

Suggestions for two player games would be;

Jaipur

Patchwork

Splendor

Targi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We know Boss Monster: The Dungeon Building Card Game is a cool card game so when I asked the kids what they would play instead of it they both agreed on Quarriors!.
Give it a look it will add some variation to your growing collection...
..lets be honest , what's not to like about throwing tons of dice.?

After posting we thought of Small World too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I play a lot of 2 player games and also enjoy Dutch Blitze.

Some of our other favorites:
Jaipur
Patchwork
Dead Man's Draw
Archaeology: The New Expedition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hanna Dickhut
msg tools
Pandemic: The Cure: It has dice and some strategic push-your-luck, and it's a quick, easy, cooperative game that plays well with 2.

Qwirkle: If you like Blokus, you'll probably like this. The tactics are similar to Scrabble for blocking, hoping to get that one letter, and leaving a space open for a later move, but there aren't any letters or words. Plus it's pretty inexpensive, and you can find it in the big box stores.

Small World: This is a fun territory control which seems in keeping with some of your games, and it's a good intro to variable player power. It's better with more than 2 in my opinion (if I'm out to kill, I want to kill lots), but it does scale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Sequence

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.