Popular Tags: [View All]
Jimmy Mero
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of my blue coins have started to chip, especially at the edges. Is this a common problem? If so, does anyone have tips on how to prevent/fix this?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Has anyone noticed paint chipping off the blue metal coins?
Mine have not, but maybe spray them with some sealer? Like what you use when you are finished painting mini's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Wilson
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
Haven't noticed. ~8 games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't noticed either, on either the set I use in Scythe or the set I'm using in other games. ~5 Scythe games, probably ~10 games using the other set as generic gaming coins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jimmydm90 wrote:
Most of my blue coins have started to chip

Same here. soblue
Pitty, the blue ones are my favorites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, I'm at nearly 20 plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I have played multiple times too and keep all my coins in 2 small cloth bags in the box (so they do clink around a bit). No problems so far for me. Can you post some pics so we can see what kind of issues are happening? I do agree with the other post on potentially spray coating or lacquering them. That could work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it safe to say that the issue is not on the quality of the paint but rather to how each of us handle the components?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not one comment on how the chipped paint makes the game unplayable? Man, I expected more from this post. Far too civilized
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Mero
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vardamir wrote:
Is it safe to say that the issue is not on the quality of the paint but rather to how each of us handle the components?

I've only played 4 games of scythe and keep my coins in a soft cloth bag. I'm also by nature very careful and protective with my games and components (which is why I posted this thread in the first place) so I really don't think it has anything to do with the way I handle the coins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Not after 7-8 games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Gobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Not the avatar you're looking for
mbmbmbmbmb
vardamir wrote:
Some of mine were chipped when I opened the box. Only the blue ones too. It makes me think there's something about the blue paint that makes it more prone to chip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Fox
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An alternatice to clear gloss spray paint is clear fingernail polish. It is easier to find sometimes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of my coins show minor wear as well after ~6 plays (and I'm moving them gently, not tossing them around.

Has anyone used spray coat such as that matte Citadel stuff? I'd rather not ruin my coins by spraying something on them, that will eat the paint...

Quote:
Some of mine were chipped when I opened the box. Only the blue ones too. It makes me think there's something about the blue paint that makes it more prone to chip.

I think it's just because the blue coins are used the most, while all the others aren't handed around as much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristo Vaher
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep the coins separate from the sharp-edged and heavy metal blocks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My storage since day 1:

20 plays:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rutter
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed this after my 4th game - 'chipped' isn't the word I'd use, the blue is 'wearing' off; I presume through handling as they are used 90% of the time with the 3 denomination being next popular. We only really used the 5,10 & 20s at end-game tally up.

Disappointing but hardly game breaking. Tempted to find a paint similar in colour and retouch them, then spray with lacquer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lines42 wrote:
20 plays:

Now that's some massive wear wow
Clearly dampens my excitement for the coins and their longevity. Perhaps the 1$ should have been grey (like the 5$ and 10$ coins). On those the wear certainly would not have been that much of an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Mero
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lines42 wrote:

20 plays:

Yep that's the stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lines42 wrote:
My storage since day 1:

Not trying to defend the level of wear, but I'd guess that the coins would have much less wear if they were in a tighly packed bag, since I'd guees that they'd have much less room to jostle around there, than in a box where there's room to move.

Does anyone have any experience with comparative wear for those two methods of storage?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
Not trying to defend the level of wear, but I'd guess that the coins would have much less wear if they were in a tighly packed bag, since I'd guees that they'd have much less room to jostle around there, than in a box where there's room to move.

Does anyone have any experience with comparative wear for those two methods of storage?

In that case there should be at least some wear on the flat sides of the other coins as well, I would think. But none of them look affected at all.
The tiny spots on the 3$ coins may be wear, but I have that as well and my 3$ coins have hardly been handled and are stored in small baggies.

To me, all coins > 1$ look like they have not been painted at all, only tinted to make them look used and aged naturally. Perhaps only the 1$ coins had to be painted because no metal was used that resembles the desired colour? I dunno, just fishing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How dare you complain about anything scythe-related?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
How dare you complain about anything scythe-related?

I know that was tongue in cheek, but I just want to add that this kind of feedback is extremely helpful to us, so I'd like to thank everyone who has chimed in on this issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:

Not sure here. As soon as you "play" with the coins, grab into your storage to take some, adding them to your own pile of coins, they won´t be packed tight anymore and will be jostled around.
Haven´t moved the game out of the house since I have it so it´s certainly not jostling by moving / shaking the full box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goat Goatington
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
mortenmdk wrote:

My blue coins are in a similar state, only played twice so far. I use one bag for all the coins. It's not exactly a tightly packed bag, but in the space it's crammed into in the box (tight fit - excellent picture there to make it work) there's no room for them to move about to any significant degree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.