The following rule variants will require the use of 2 10 sided dice. I have play tested the game with these rules and it makes the game better.
1) On punts, a punting team has option to use number on top of die or bottom number, example if you roll a 1 you can use the bottom of the die which is a 6. This gives a better tactic for punting. You can punt for shorter yards if a punt goes to far also. And now on punts you can punt it to the opponent's 1 yard line. This is a punt that used to come out to the 20yd line if it touched the goal line. And roll 2 10 sided dice and on 0-0 the punt is blocked. This represents a 1% chance of a blocked punt-10 yards. On the punt return roll the 2 10 sided dice again and if 0-0 is rolled it's a touchdown I looked at NFL stats on blocked punts and punt returns and it happens only about 1% of the time per year. You can use NFL stats to make the game much more fun.
2) You can use 2 different color 10 sided dice for field goals if you want and go with percentages of the NFL. That would be easy . Just look at team averages or league averages and roll accordingly from 10-20,30-40 as an example. Please see my new field goal rules and you will see percentages based on NFL kickers with league wide averages. The game can be a lot of fun if you want to make bets on the winner. Of course you would use play money , wink wink ! That's the way our group does it . The games take on a whole different feel all of a sudden. Each roll and decision could come back to bite you.
You can make this little game get real fun and tence in a hurry.
3) The rules state that if the offence rolls doubles they get a 20 yd gain. That still applies but now if the defense throws doubles on the same roll it holds the offence to just 10 yards. This reflects a good tackle by the defense to counter the doubles the offence rolled. And now the defense also rolls an additional die of a different color you can use the green die if you want. If you roll a 6 that stops any offence down and forces 4th down. You do NOT use the extra die on 4th down, that is still played as stated in the original rules. This gives a 16.6 % chance that the defense stops you. This however does NOT apply to the 3 dice big play if rolled. I felt the scores were to high and now games get more defensive and lower scoring in some cases.
4)The game did not address the defense scoring on a turnover and how this messes up the sequence of each offence having the ball 3 times per quarter. Simply kickoff again to the team that just turned the ball over for a score and proceed from there.
5)To go along with the new punt rules the same will apply on scoring a touchdown. Now you have to get the ball OVER the goal line not just touch the goal line as stated in the rules now. This represents making it a little harder to get the ball into the end zone. On 4th down if you choose to go for it and not make it you now pin the other team deep in his own territory .This creates a game of field position.
A final note on the game.. Some say it's a dice fest, and yes it is. But people have been "shooting dice" since the days of the Roman Empire so enjoy the game and have fun with it. The game is fun and ANYTIME you can get your wife to play a football game or any sports game with you is a plus !
- Last edited Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:58 pm (Total Number of Edits: 6)
- Posted Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:23 pm