Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All other things being equal, is it not in the interest of a player Loyal to the Afghan "Empire" to purchase a Topple card they know will fail and thus instigate a Purge, which impacts the Russian and British Empires more?

I know that ALL players will have to "purge" their tableaus, but the map position of the Green/Afghan Empire will be relatively enhanced.

Of course, if I had a dominant tableau or one overbalanced in one "regime" I would suffer the most, but that's why I asked "all things being equal".

Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Kidder
United States
Martensdale
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you are right in your acessment. But I also believe that this is factored in to the balance of the three powers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
JKidder wrote:
I think you are right in your acessment. But I also believe that this is factored in to the balance of the three powers.

Correct. If you are loyal to the afghans and have an edge on influence, a failed topple is usually your friend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have some good cards in your tableau, a purge can be a great way of allowing you to play them again in coming turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
RvdH83 wrote:
If you have some good cards in your tableau, a purge can be a great way of allowing you to play them again in coming turns.

One of my favorite "killer combos" is getting a political stooge (any ol' 1 rank will do) along with Dost Mohammed. When the purge comes you can pull Dost Mohammed back into your hand and then play him the next turn to immediately presence in 3/4 modes. He might be the strongest card in the game.

The number one mistake that new players make is that they don't fail topples when they should--usually convincing themselves that their chances of winning are better than they are. Once you start pulling Topples down frequently the game takes a different (and better) shape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In general I find cards that add presence in multiple modes and/or have the ability to change regimes the most powerful. Sometimes I just buy one of those in the beginning and then keep it for a while in my hand to go for a surprise win later in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for your insights!

I was having trouble figuring out why in the world anyone would Fail a Topple as all the information to calculate Supremacy is visible to all players and with a little math one would know when buying the Topple Card whether it would fail or not!

Now I understand that the Failed-Topple-followed-by-a-Purge "process" is a game mechanic designed to potentially cleanse the board of piles of Russian and British armies and roads as well as unbalanced player tableaus.

Also makes the playing of the Afghan "Empire" a little more intriguing.

Thanks for a great game, Cole!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.