Subject: Scar, Noble, and Reincarnated Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will Wells
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hello all,

I've been reading over the People of the Stars campaign rules in preparation for running a game using those rules and I have a question.

Where are the rules for Scar, Noble, and Reincarnated.

I wanted to look up all the different things that could make someone become a Person of the Stars to make sure I understood how everything worked. I looked up all the fighting arts, disorders, and other abilities, but I can't find those three. I see how to get a Scar and how to become Noble or Reincarnated, but I have no idea what rules those abilities apply to a survivor.

Am I missing something obvious? Do these three just lack rules, or am I just not looking in the right place?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
They're triggered under certain circumstances:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
scar is an ability, most often from the right roll on the dragon throne
reincarnated + noble are surnames, most often gotten from courage or understanding
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Wells
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
@Nick Wirtz

Yes, I understand how they are acquired. What I want to know is what do they DO? Anything?

Once I have a scar, what does that scar do? How does it affect my character?

Once I get named noble (or reincarnated), what does that DO?

It is possible that they only act as requirements for People of the Stars event, but every single other item on that grid has some sort of benefit or affect for a character. If those three are the exception, fine, but I just wanted to make absolutely sure I wasn't missing something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
They're like other keywords blind gives -1 acc and interacts with things (but if you gain 1 acc, you don't lose blind), regular surnames interact with at least one monster; some things interact with how many disorders or fighting arts you have; some things key off of specific innovations or how many you have total, etc.

Things will interact with them, either specifically or in general. They don't naturally do anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Wells
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
spiralingcadaver wrote:
They're like other keywords blind gives -1 acc and interacts with things (but if you gain 1 acc, you don't lose blind), regular surnames interact with at least one monster; some things interact with how many disorders or fighting arts you have; some things key off of specific innovations or how many you have total, etc.

Things will interact with them, either specifically or in general. They don't naturally do anything.

Ah - that's what I needed to know. Thank you.

Everything else in the grid had a separate mechanical effect - something that it did independent of interactions with other cards. Those three alone did not. I just wanted to make sure that was actually correct before I assumed it.

Okay, I have a follow up question.

This one seems obvious - so obvious that I am going to question it just because it seems TOO obvious. I'm also going to put this in a spoiler tag just in case anyone doesn't want to read about card interactions.

Spoiler (click to reveal)

If a character gains Oracle's Eye, Unbreakable Fighting Art, 3+ Strength, and 9 (max) Courage, thus unlocking the Goblin, they instantly die. Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Umm, don't have the cards, but yeah, assuming those are the prerequisites, yeah. That's one of many reasons why I avoid looking ahead, since the game was so clearly intended to be revealed as you hit things (both exciting stuff and bad stuff)- that was a pretty memorable shock.

Unless we've unlocked the option to build something or it's a roll where you can choose something when you have information, my group tries to keep ourselves mostly in the dark, since it makes a more exciting game and we'll have many more campaigns to play where we do have that foreknowledge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.