M Smith
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The idea for this post came up in another discussion about a board gaming eureka moment.
This happened around my folks (mum and her partner Del) by accident , their regular gaming world involved monopoly ,scrabble and a pack of cards. Regular being once every few months although they do admit to card marathons involving cribbage.
Anyway Me and the missus purchased a boardgame while passing by their place Parfum was the guilty game which was sitting innocently in a plastic bag.
It caught mothers eye and after describing it we all decided to play a game.
They were fascinated by the colourful box and theme with the added info on the box with average play time being 45min as opposed to undisclosed house ruled monopoly time scales.

We all punched out the components and set up the game... End result?
We played three times and they have bought 3 queens games now and Carcassonne.
Now let's cut to the chase, my folks know I have played boardgames for years and never really asked about it or shown any interest in our collection of games.

But after discussing the parfum event they both admitted to playing the game purely because it was sealed and unknown to all of us at that time.
No intimidation or awkwardness was felt on there part which has been the reason they never really played games with us.
These feelings sounded weird to me as we are all comfortable eating out ,matching movies or hanging out doing other stuff together.

My question to you is this . Do you think people are more likely to play modern boardgames if the participants are all new to the game? or have you had a some other event happen to get new gamers into the hobby?
Hey you never know this could be a future experiment to test on non board gaming buddies now .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't day "more likely", but I'm sure there is an element of comfort having everyone be new to a game. This situation, I'm sure, is perceived as an even playing field. The assumption is you are a master at all the hobby games you own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Everyone new to a game" is a recipe for disaster, unless the rules can be read and explained in under about 2-3 minutes. A "gamer's game" requires dedicated preparation and/or prior experience to avoid scaring everyone off.

For a family-type game, if I got the reaction your folks had, I would be asking myself if they've had a bad experience somewhere along the way - something like being made to feel stupid or uncomfortable, or overwhelmed by an experienced player's quarterbacking. If that's the case (or even just the fear of those things), you can reassure them that those problems can be avoided once they are brought out into the open.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dugas
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My preference is usually to play either with everyone learning at the same time, which takes patience on everyone's part and a willingness to consider it a "learning game," or to learn from someone who has played the game at most a couple of times. Too much more than that, unless it's a very luck-driven game, and experience makes too much of a difference. Exceptions made for something I really, really want to learn or if someone is a particularly good teacher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think people are more comfortable if someone can teach the game well. All generalizations have exceptions, but maybe with the experience you describe, they would now accept you coming in with a game unknown to them but you could teach.

Edit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emma Johnson
msg tools
I think it is different in a gaming group where you may not know many people to playing with family and friends. I am still fairly new to it and was terrified the first group I went to as I thought all the experienced players would get frustrated that I had never played any of the games before, but after getting the courage to attend it was so different. The experienced players asked who had played before and if anyone needed the rules going over, they were open to questions during the game.

Before I started I would have said I would prefer everyone to be new to the game but now I like having someone that has played before to explain the game play and rules and to be able to clarify things without having to turn to the rules every few minutes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Highly dependent on the player and how secure they are I would think. I'll sit down at any table with any players.

There are players who accept as due course they are going to get clobbered the first few and have no issue with it. There are those who are scared to ask questions and therefore hate learning games in public as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer if one person can teach the rules(hopefully well), but that the experience level between all players isn't too great. If everyone is an expert and one person doesn't know the first rule of the game it can be frustrating for everyone(unless everyone is very patient).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Whetstone
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure experience makes a big difference. It's probably going to come down to things like familiarity with that person and how well they can sell playing the game.

I think a bigger issue for further exploration would probably be that first experience. How forthcoming and helpful is the teacher? Do they explain the basics and go on the crush their opponents or do they keep teaching them along the way, giving helpful hints for the new players moves and showing them why they do their own? Are they helping it be fun or staring at the board and optimizing their own position? These sorts of things among others probably mean more for the new player than the experience level of the person introducing the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.