J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Religious groups are divided by race and ethnicity, with white non-Hispanic Protestants leaning toward Donald Trump and all other religious groups leaning toward Hillary Clinton. A majority of white evangelical Protestant voters (62% Trump vs. 23% Clinton) and a plurality of white mainline Protestant voters (47% Trump vs. 37% Clinton) support Trump over Clinton.

Catholic voters are divided along racial and ethnic lines. White Catholic voters are closely divided but lean toward Clinton (44% Clinton vs. 41% Trump), while non-white Catholic voters overwhelmingly support Clinton over Trump (76% vs. 13%, respectively).

Majorities of every other major religious group support Clinton over Trump: religiously unaffiliated voters (55% vs. 24%, respectively) and black Protestant voters (89% vs. 2%, respectively).


http://www.prri.org/research/lgbt-2016-presidential-election...

I think this election will drastically affect the GOP as well as the stranglehold white Protestants have on it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Hopkins
United States
Converse
Indiana
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen many of my fellow Christians bend over backwards attempting to justify their vote for Trump. Then they will wonder why in the world so many people of other (or no) faith call them intolerant hypocrites. It just makes me sad.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing that vaguely annoys me is 'Protestants' being one monolithic thing, when many have more in common with Catholics than other protestants, and different branches have 'protested' left or right of the origin point.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
They did break it up into mainline and evangelical.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
One thing that vaguely annoys me is 'Protestants' being one monolithic thing, when many have more in common with Catholics than other protestants, and different branches have 'protested' left or right of the origin point.


Yes this. One of the great sins of humanity is their ability to apply double standards. We all do it. I catch myself doing it.

We like to point out failures on one hand (Christians are so divided, they can't agree on anything - therefore, God doesn't exist). And then use an opposing characteristic to make a different point (all Protestants are bigots - therefore, God doesn't exist.)

In the end, the argument is always "God doesn't exist, therefore I'm excused from obeying the Truth."


From Matthew 18:

21Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, “Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother or sister who sins against me? Up to seven times?”

22Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.g

23“Therefore, the kingdom of heaven is like a king who wanted to settle accounts with his servants. 24As he began the settlement, a man who owed him ten thousand bags of goldh was brought to him. 25Since he was not able to pay, the master ordered that he and his wife and his children and all that he had be sold to repay the debt.

26“At this the servant fell on his knees before him. ‘Be patient with me,’ he begged, ‘and I will pay back everything.’ 27The servant’s master took pity on him, canceled the debt and let him go.

28“But when that servant went out, he found one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred silver coins.i He grabbed him and began to choke him. ‘Pay back what you owe me!’ he demanded.

29“His fellow servant fell to his knees and begged him, ‘Be patient with me, and I will pay it back.’

30“But he refused. Instead, he went off and had the man thrown into prison until he could pay the debt. 31When the other servants saw what had happened, they were outraged and went and told their master everything that had happened.

32“Then the master called the servant in. ‘You wicked servant,’ he said, ‘I canceled all that debt of yours because you begged me to. 33Shouldn’t you have had mercy on your fellow servant just as I had on you?’ 34In anger his master handed him over to the jailers to be tortured, until he should pay back all he owed.

35“This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you unless you forgive your brother or sister from your heart.”

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Fun fact, whoever wins Catholics usually wins the Presidency. I do believe it is the most reliable predictor, iirc.

And it doesn't look like Trump has a chance to win them in this election.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:

Fun fact, whoever wins Catholics usually wins the Presidency. I do believe it is the most reliable predictor, iirc.

And it doesn't look like Trump has a chance to win them in this election.


Fun fact: Catholic population dropped from 24% to 21% from 2007 to 2014. I suspect it's a lot more now.

And WHAT did I JUST say in my previous post?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarxis wrote:
In the end, the argument is always "God doesn't exist, therefore I'm excused from obeying the Truth."

There are many religions with a multitude of gods, all providing their own version of The Truth. I hope you won the lottery and got in the one with the True Truth.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chopkins828 wrote:
I seen many of my fellow Christians bend over backwards attempting to justify their vote for Trump. Then they will wonder why in the world so many people of other (or no) faith call them intolerant hypocrites. It just makes me sad.


Plenty of Christians (mostly non-white) support Hillary. But I grew up in the white evangelical Protestant world, and I deeply understand their culture. They would vote for the most openly immoral person as long as they hated gays and abortion. Indeed, they appear to be about to do just that.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder how Trump truly feels on gays and abortion? Just as with all of his other stuff, he's voiced conflicting positions.
5 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
They did break it up into mainline and evangelical.


What kind of a break is that? Might as well have broken it down between Moon Units and Fnord.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
I wonder how Trump truly feels on gays and abortion? Just as with all of his other stuff, he's voiced conflicting positions.


Who knows what he really thinks about anything? But the lip service he's paid is enough for the evangelical crowd to ignore 98% of their beliefs in defense of this other 2%.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
Sarxis wrote:
In the end, the argument is always "God doesn't exist, therefore I'm excused from obeying the Truth."

There are many religions with a multitude of gods, all providing their own version of The Truth. I hope you won the lottery and got in the one with the True Truth.


It's a shame that you think that's how it works. This is actually how it works:

"But their minds were made dull, for to this day the same veil remains when the old covenant is read. It has not been removed, because only in Christ is it taken away. Even to this day when Moses is read, a veil covers their hearts. But whenever anyone turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away. Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplatea the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit." 2nd Corinthians


I mean... TWO CORINTHIANS
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarxis wrote:


I mean... TWO CORINTHIANS


walk into a bar. The first one says "you put up a long post on your blog yesterday". The second replies "That wasn't a post, that was a column."


TRUTH.

2 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chopkins828 wrote:
I've seen many of my fellow Christians bend over backwards attempting to justify their vote for Trump. Then they will wonder why in the world so many people of other (or no) faith call them intolerant hypocrites. It just makes me sad.


Hopefully this will destroy them once and for all. Probably not... because they live in a delusional state, but here's to hope.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
chopkins828 wrote:
I've seen many of my fellow Christians bend over backwards attempting to justify their vote for Trump. Then they will wonder why in the world so many people of other (or no) faith call them intolerant hypocrites. It just makes me sad.


Hopefully this will destroy them once and for all.


"Hopefully this will destroy them"? What a good little hater you are! Never let it be said that Democrats are all caring and sweetness and tolerant and crap like that. We know the truth, don't we, Winky?


I do believe he is taking if their political power and influence. It does so appear that nuance is quite beyond some
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
I wonder how Trump truly feels on gays and abortion? Just as with all of his other stuff, he's voiced conflicting positions.


I suspect (and this is not sarcastic or joking) that he feels whatever way is most expedient and profitable for him at the moment.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
chopkins828 wrote:
I've seen many of my fellow Christians bend over backwards attempting to justify their vote for Trump. Then they will wonder why in the world so many people of other (or no) faith call them intolerant hypocrites. It just makes me sad.


Hopefully this will destroy them once and for all.


"Hopefully this will destroy them"? What a good little hater you are! Never let it be said that Democrats are all caring and sweetness and tolerant and crap like that. We know the truth, don't we, Winky?


They will still be alive, just with no power... except in beliebbing in the big man who will save them and make their football team score a TD. Weehaa!



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
chopkins828 wrote:
I've seen many of my fellow Christians bend over backwards attempting to justify their vote for Trump. Then they will wonder why in the world so many people of other (or no) faith call them intolerant hypocrites. It just makes me sad.


Hopefully this will destroy them once and for all.


"Hopefully this will destroy them"? What a good little hater you are! Never let it be said that Democrats are all caring and sweetness and tolerant and crap like that. We know the truth, don't we, Winky?


I never said I was caring. You will be sorely fucking disappointed if you think you'll receive an ounce of remorse from me.

Hey... How is Unckie Ron Long Johnson doing in the polls? That fucker is going down HARD.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Me nah play no 'ide and seek
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
jmilum wrote:
They did break it up into mainline and evangelical.


What kind of a break is that? Might as well have broken it down between Moon Units and Fnord.


Look man, you're dead-wrong about this. When trying to break apart the aforementioned diversity of views within American Protestantism, there is one clear division, and it's mainline vs. evangelical.

When someone self-identifies as "evangelical", you can, through the power of statistics, have a pretty good chance of guessing their attitudes towards abortion, homosexuality and a whole host of other issues. A mainline Protestant probably wouldn't even know to identify themselves as a "mainline Protestant," because it's a term of art for those who study Christianity in America. "Mainline" Protestants will just identify as "Methodist", "Lutheran", etc.

As that 15-point split on Trump support shows, there is a clear statistical difference between evangelicals and mainline Protestants, so it's a break worth making for those who study Christianity in America.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Mostly made up of spare parts and sarcasm!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
toku42 wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
jmilum wrote:
They did break it up into mainline and evangelical.


What kind of a break is that? Might as well have broken it down between Moon Units and Fnord.


Look man, you're dead-wrong about this. When trying to break apart the aforementioned diversity of views within American Protestantism, there is one clear division, and it's mainline vs. evangelical.

When someone self-identifies as "evangelical", you can, through the power of statistics, have a pretty good chance of guessing their attitudes towards abortion, homosexuality and a whole host of other issues. A mainline Protestant probably wouldn't even know to identify themselves as a "mainline Protestant," because it's a term of art for those who study Christianity in America. "Mainline" Protestants will just identify as "Methodist", "Lutheran", etc.

As that 15-point split on Trump support shows, there is a clear statistical difference between evangelicals and mainline Protestants, so it's a break worth making for those who study Christianity in America.


Just goes to show 100% of Christians don't even follow their own religous beliefs.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
jmilum wrote:
I wonder how Trump truly feels on gays and abortion? Just as with all of his other stuff, he's voiced conflicting positions.


Who knows what he really thinks about anything? But the lip service he's paid is enough for the evangelical crowd to ignore 98% of their beliefs in defense of this other 2%.
Or to be more accurate.

To finally reveal the 2% they actually believe and forget the 98% they just pay lip service to to hide who they really are.

Donny has done us a great service by unmasking what the real issues these people care about are.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.