Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Daneman
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just watched the "how to play" video for this game. It generally looks pretty interesting, however, the combat seems a bit boring. For every raider you fight you basically just have a number to beat with your die roll. There are no special abilities or other unique aspects to differentiate the different raiders, they're all basically just different numbers. Is this how it's going to be in the final version or is there more variety planned for this part of the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pandasaurus Games
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
publisher
www.pandasaurusgames.com
badge
www.pandasaurusgames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the base raider combat system. There are some wrinkles to combat that come up in certain quest lines and especially the campaign mode.

That said, the idea for base combat is that there are variables (die roll, defense #) but we want you to have an understanding of the risk you take on when you enter combat without too much unmitigated randomness.

Combat is a component of the game, but it's not a *combat* game. There are enough rules to remember that we didn't want defensive stats vs. offensive stats vs. buffers, in order to resolve combat.

Part of the give and take of a more accessible 90 minute pick-up and deliver game is streamlining certain aspects of the design.

But I can absolutely promise you, combat is not boring at all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny W
United States
Long Lake
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Is there any player interaction in the game, outside of moving a "raider" to interfere? War rigs can't engage each other or can they?

Do the varying raiders show any distinction outside of their background stories?

Is the game a completed vision, or are there considerations for an expansion?

I have pre-ordered. What has hooked me, is how supposedly all the art comes with a background story that interacts with everything else to create a great big story filled universe. The campaign is of particular interest, for what has been stated, promises to switch up the game and allow all the story pieces to come into play. If the story reflects that artwork then this is going to be a grand reflection of George Miller.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pandasaurus Games
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
publisher
www.pandasaurusgames.com
badge
www.pandasaurusgames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
lemmingsunday wrote:
Is there any player interaction in the game, outside of moving a "raider" to interfere? War rigs can't engage each other or can they?

Do the varying raiders show any distinction outside of their background stories?

I have pre-ordered. What has hooked me, is how supposedly all the art comes with a background story that interacts with everything else to create a great big story filled universe. The campaign is of particular interest, for what has been stated, promises to switch up the game and allow all the story pieces to come into play. If the story reflects that artwork then this is going to be a grand reflection of George Miller.

I'll let the guys speak directly to this, but the game is complete. There are some cool ideas for what we can do in the future for the game, but the game 'as is' was a complete design.

No direct combat. Y'all all work for the same company after all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
stooge wrote:
lemmingsunday wrote:

I'll let the guys speak directly to this, but the game is complete. There are some cool ideas for what we can do in the future for the game, but the game 'as is' was a complete design.

No direct combat. Y'all all work for the same company after all

The game is complete for sure. We have already begun exploring expansion ideas because the world has been amazing to design in.

As far as the story, we worked very hard to make sure that each scenario has a story and the progression of the world is captured in that. The gameplay is consistent throughout, but with twists that drive players to behave in ways they may not have in prior scenarios.

My favorite part is that it is also a completely viable thematic game with free play or stepping into a scenario with new players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love chucking dice, but I have to agree that I was a bit dismayed to see that combat is simply roll the dice you can and hope to beat a single number with a single die. I get it's just simulating random danger, but maybe too simple?

Also a bit bummed you can't mess with each other directly, but happy to see that you can at least harass them with raider trucks, potentially.

I get it's not a combat die, but man when you're driving badass war rigs around, I can't help but want to imagine some fun vehicular combat.

Game still looks like a ton of fun, I just need to come to terms with it being more of a pure pickup and deliver, and not much a hybrid despite the theme. I'm just trying to hype myself up enough to swallow that price tag once shipping is added on. I guess as a converse experience, the combat in Merchants and Marauders felt too convoluted and definitely slowed down the game, so there's certainly a trade off there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Knight
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was starting to get excited for the game, especially when in the preview video (on their website) the designers discussed the differences in play-styles, but the lack of interactivity between players might be a killing point for me.

Even before the bounty hunter/pirate expansion in Firefly, you could still pilfer an enemy ship's crew if they were unhappy, if a player didn't properly manage shore leave, and then, of course, with that expansion, you could take jobs to raid other players.

And in Xia, you can just attack other players and ram them to try to get some victory points that way.

I get that delivery is the main element, not combat, but it would be nice if there was some other way to intact other than send raiders along (which apparently you can do, though I'm not sure how that really works). I guess I'm just going to have to wait for reviews to see if the game hits the right notes for me. I'm still seeking out just the right post apocalyptic game for my collection. PostHuman was alright and can be fun, but the Mutant side of things I found very underwhelming and its combat system is a bit too complicated and not very well explained in the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.