Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » News

Subject: Expansion news rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Well, it's more confirmation of what we already knew but:
According to the official store the expansions will be out in October and will cost $35.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
We also get some new planets and cards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Mining colony Phenomenon!

Briar patch rules
-only rolls of 6 hit in the briar patch.

Market Penetration Convoy
3 ships
This fleet may connect new space lanes to systems beyond the maximum number of space lanes the system allows.

Nothing else of note that we haven't seen before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Adamiak
Poland
flag msg tools
mb
Oh there is something we haven't seen before.
Ferengi won't have any technology advancements. Instead there will be Rules of Acquisition cool . It will probably work in the same way but you know... You don't reasearch "Ferengi shameless trader" but instead Rule of Acquisition 109: Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
It's sooooo brilliant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And then there were those ally cards (shown previously somewhere else):

http://startrek.gf9games.com/Home/tabid/56/entryid/119/feren...

There is also a crisis card shown that has some value in the top right corner, just as those ally cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
of the most note i find is their tech that lets you exhaust an opponents tech for 1 production, which they can do ANY number of times each turn!
that looks quite powerful for leveling the playing field, regardless which race they are up against.

having them as allies could as such be very profitable, as they can help by exhausting your rival's tech.

i can see players being eager to trade/be allies with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Adamiak
Poland
flag msg tools
mb
Angelsenior wrote:
having them as allies could as such be very profitable

Rule of acqusition 124: Friendship is temporary, profit is forever.
As you can see it's all about profit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kaimada wrote:
Angelsenior wrote:
having them as allies could as such be very profitable

Rule of acqusition 124: Friendship is temporary, profit is forever.
As you can see it's all about profit.

sure, but what i meant is that the ferengi so far is the only faction that can give you a real direct benefit as an ally by helping you exhaust several other player's techs, and this even without sending any ship into battle.

other factions as allies have very little direct effect, making alliances a bit bland.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I like one of the details on the Ferengi command console. The other factions' consoles each have an area for stacking accrued Research, Production, and Culture tokens. The Ferengi have a little place for keeping Research and Culture tokens too, sure, but Production has the most important spot on the console: front and center, and labelled PROFIT.

I imagine that there's a practical purpose behind this as well, and that's that the Ferengi need more space for their Production tokens because they'll be positively rolling in them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm liking what I see so far.

The rules of acquisition are a nice touch. They look just as annoying as they should be. The fact a Ferengi fleet can make space lanes is also annoying and totally in their spirit.

Ferengi having a hard time acquiring culture and, that they can't add ascendancy to hegemony rolls is very thematic.

The Briar patch could be a defensive stalwart if placed properly. First strike you say? Pfffft. I'll put my fleet and Starbase here, come and get me.

So far all the mechanics look interesting and thematic. There are obviously some trekkies that work at GF9.

Now if we could only get our greedy hands on that base game and start playing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You can't build a starbase in a non-planetary system, because you can't control it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
Good catch Nova.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember the Ferengi unlike any other power can directly convert Production into Culture. Put that together with their other characteristics and you have a very thematic power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joelist wrote:
Remember the Ferengi unlike any other power can directly convert Production into Culture. Put that together with their other characteristics and you have a very thematic power.

yeah cant wait to play them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KickAClay Bobling
msg tools
Feelitmon wrote:
but Production has the most important spot on the console: front and center, and labelled PROFIT.

Yeah, that's because of Ferengi Alliance, Special Rules:

Profit Over Profundity, The Ferengi may never build Culture Nodes, Ferengi never add their Ascendancy level to Hegemony Attempts.

Only Latinum Lasts…, During your Build Phase, the Ferengi may buy Culture for 5 Production each. The Ferengi may build Production Nodes on any available spot regardless of capacity type.

They will be so much fun to play as!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So for Ferengi, 1 Ascendancy = 25 Production? Wow, that is totally new style of playing!

Now, if only I have the game on my hands...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Esvath wrote:
So for Ferengi, 1 Ascendancy = 25 Production? Wow, that is totally new style of playing!

Now, if only I have the game on my hands...

Don't forget that while you can't build culture nodes, you can still have culture nodes, and they still generate culture tokens. You do start with a culture node on your homeworld, and you can acquire new ones through hegemony or (more likely) invasion.

Over the course of the game, you'll probably get 1 or 2 levels of ascendancy from actual culture production.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i think the ferengi have to go for a supremacy victory instead of ascendancy given they will likely build a lot of ships with their production, but they might slowly buy their way into ascendancy combined with a last turn dump of all production into ascendancy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Angelsenior wrote:
i think the ferengi have to go for a supremacy victory instead of ascendancy given they will likely build a lot of ships with their production, but they might slowly buy their way into ascendancy combined with a last turn dump of all production into ascendancy.

I'm sure they won't have many military or possibly hegemony advancements and probably won't have good battle fleets either. Ascendnacy will most likely be the way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
weapons and shields are overall more important than specific tech so even with little combat enhancing techs can you fight well.

given their higher production and tech to exhaust several espionage tech (some cloaking is espionage) each turn they are not as defenseless as you might think.

given they need 100 production to pay for the 20 culture needed for ascendancy they might find it quite costly (even if you can take and hold a few culture nodes from others), but using those for ships instead will likely give more results.

we dont know yet what their other tech can do, they might surprise us yet.
its not like they will only have profit-enhancing tech.

if they would have a tech that reduces the culture cost to 4 production then ascendancy becomes more likely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would not be surprised if they have an advancement that doubles their production.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.