Tom Maertz
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
The rules mention,

"Explosive traps work exactly like barricades, except blah blah blah...."

Do they count as Barricades still for Victory Conditions?

I had two Barricades up to satisfy my personal objectives and then on the turn we won a player turned them into Explosive Traps.

Wakrob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I'm no one to give an official answer, but I'd say it counts. I base this on the theme. Your character's motivation is to be secure by putting up barricades to keep the zombies out. Since barricades in DoW are temporary and get removed as soon as a zombie would try to hit them, then exposive traps can only be MORE of what your character would want. As it's a very thematic game, I'm pretty confident that this is the right answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a good question. While I don't disagree with the thematic point above, I would argue no it doesn't count. While thematically they serve the same purpose of keeping you safe, barricading a location is not the same thing as placing explosive traps around the grounds.

I'd be interested in a more official answer. Because if I think about it, a wound is a wound is a wound and therefore frostbite and arguably despair would count toward goals that require wounds on characters. So maybe barricades/traps are the same?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Lamb
United Kingdom
Ipswich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The rules do say specifically "Explosive traps work exactly like barricades, except...."

Since the "except" then totally changes how they work mechanically I would say that they count as barricades for other effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
Glentopher wrote:
The rules do say specifically "Explosive traps work exactly like barricades, except...."

Since the "except" then totally changes how they work mechanically I would say that they count as barricades for other effects.

Unfortunately, if they wanted to be clear on that point, they probably should've said, "Explosive traps are Barricades which..."

FWIW I'd still count them as Barricades absent an official ruling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glentopher wrote:

Working like barricades only means the rules are similar. This is different wording from despair tokens which specifically say they are to be treated like a regular wound. Admittedly though, I am nitpicking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Thomason
New Zealand
Nelson
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The statement about them working like barricades is clearly in relation to zombie placement. Individual cards and abilities refer to barricades and explosive traps separately therefore, No, they are not treated as barricades for objective purposes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Weaselboy wrote:
The statement about them working like barricades is clearly in relation to zombie placement. Individual cards and abilities refer to barricades and explosive traps separately therefore, No, they are not treated as barricades for objective purposes.

And yet, the rules have a blanket statement of them working "exactly" as barricades, barring specifically laid out exceptions. Very odd wording if this is the case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.