BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Best Skirmish Games with Paper Mats rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So after watching a review of Frostgrave I have had this desire to check out different skirmish miniature games that would be best on a paper maps instead of 3D terrain?

Is Frostgrave the best bet?

I'm a little intimidated by the amount of time it takes to make warbands apparently.

So ultimately. What Miniature skirmish (or co-op) games you think would work best with paper maps?

Thanks! Look forward to the discussion, wouldn't be surprised if the answer is "any game" lol

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Scheuer
Germany
Eppelsheim
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Any game.

No, seriously.

Any game will do, since most games are designed with the philosophy "terrain is just a 3D line of sight and/or movement modificator".

Which is a pity, since terrain can be so much more.

The easier question would be: which skirmish game is definetly NOT designed for flat terrain?

BTW, if you are interested in a paper mat you can craft yourself, I'd like to direct you to my homepage:
http://www.catzeyes.de/blog/?page_id=110
In the links you will find the "Battle Book: Unsteady Harmony", which is a print and play map to run small scale skirmishes on.

Kind regards,
Kai

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Dragon Rampant: Fantasy Wargaming Rules works great on paper mats.
Squares seem to work better than hexes for me.

I haven't played Ronin: Skirmish Wargames in the Age of the Samurai, still building my samurai minis. The rules look to work great on 1" grid mats too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BattleTech

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sixthecat wrote:
Hey, that's a D&D poster map!
I had some great fun playing the D&D Miniatures Skirmish game. You can find the most recent rules at the DDM Guild website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smith

Colchester
essex
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My two used to love it when I carried their Warhammer quest characters onto the games mastery flipmats .heroquest was easier to convert onto them.
You do have to doctor the range weapons and area effect stuff.
It may work for the majority of gridded dungeon crawlers too.

I just asked my boy about a game he played with his friends on our flipmats . It was called Heroclix it has many themes and is very easy to set up .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt it is what you're really asking for but I am reminded of a Sid Sackson game which may be worth a diversion. It is played with pencil and paper ... and a hand calculator: Invasion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.