Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

There seems to be a pretty strong demand for PBF games; I just started one where three of the five spots were filled before the first post.

If you can type, cut and paste, please consider giving it a try. I guarantee you will screw something up... but your players will help you fix things, and a fine time will be had by all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
South Lyon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: WE COULD USE MORE MODERATORS
Sure, I can run one. I'll start it later today when I have time to put some stuff together.

It might be helpful to have a list of all of the PbF tools that people use in here for the new moderators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rest assured, when I get my copy of "Absolutely Everything" from the Kickstarter, I'll be running stuff. Assuming I can find a spot to set up and leave a game, that is...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mantheron wrote:
Sure, I can run one. I'll start it later today when I have time to put some stuff together.

It might be helpful to have a list of all of the PbF tools that people use in here for the new moderators.

Good idea!

My formatting was swiped from another PBF, which had swiped it from another.

Card Texts can be found at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1F-4drbJyXUWxFg_EzzBs...

Banners are here https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/159373/sentinels-multiver...

And here https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/181864/sentinels-multiver...

I know there are spreadsheets people use as well, but I use a physical copy of the game for record keeping. Perhaps someone else can provide advice on software solutions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin S.
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still planning to run my next one...as soon as I have time to put everything together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich
United States
Plymouth
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Time is pretty constrained by work right now and I've overstretched myself with 4 Runebound PBP games - once a few of those end I'll give it a shot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dougan
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
Mantheron wrote:

Good idea!

My formatting was swiped from another PBF, which had swiped it from another.

Card Texts can be found at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1F-4drbJyXUWxFg_EzzBs...

Banners are here https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/159373/sentinels-multiver...

And here https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/181864/sentinels-multiver...

I know there are spreadsheets people use as well, but I use a physical copy of the game for record keeping. Perhaps someone else can provide advice on software solutions.

The way I (currently) handle it is that I have a mega-spreadsheet which contains one sheet for each deck (except that I don't think I have it fully updated for after Villains). When I start a game, I copy the sheets for the new game into a new workbook.

There's a random number column that I sort by in order to shuffle decks, and then handle copy/paste from there. If people want to GM me an email address, I'll provide what I've currently got. It'll probably be winter break before I get to update for Villains, and summer before I update for OblivAeon (as I have a 90-minute commute for the foreseeable future).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles S
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm working on a wiki page to manage the queue of players who want a game. I'm structuring it similar to the BSG one at https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/BSG_PBF. Should have it done by the end of the weekend.
While I don't plan on moderating any games, I should be able to keep an eye on the PBF queue page.

I'm hoping moderators are ok with following the concepts the BSG page is using to manage the list. Namely, work off the list instead of just asking for people to sign up, and deleting people from the list when they are in their game.

It seems like it is relatively light overhead for the possible gains, especially given that games fill in hours now. I know some moderators seem to have a list of people they will have as the first people into their next game, which implies there already is a queue.

There is a standard that exists of giving current moderators some preferential treatment if they want to be in a player in a game, and I think have an exception to allow for this makes a ton of sense. I'm not sure how to codify this, except to allow moderators leeway as needed.

BSG limits players to one active game at a time, and that might be too restrictive for SotM. However, I think its fine to start with that, and if the queue is empty we can adjust to allow people to sign up while already in a game, of if a moderator can't get enough people from the queue, just open it up to anyone who wants in.

Anyway, I'll have something out later this weekend (maybe even tonight) for everyone to start editing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles S
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or I'll finish a rough version 15 minutes after my last post.

I added the people who missed game 79 to the queue. I used the order of the randomization that was done (in part because it put me to the bottom of the queue).

Its located here.

https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/SOTM_PBF

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for setting it up! It looks like it's getting almost entirely cleared immediately. I hope people will continue to post their names.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles S
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah if we have 3-5 active games (which this post seems to have encouraged more moderators to step in) it is far less critical to have a queue of people who want in.

Seems like there is something around 20-30 players who have an interest.

As someone who seemed to miss getting into a 2/3 games recently due to timing, I would have liked it a couple of months ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Dylan's innovation of the twenty four hour sign up window will help a great deal, too. Still, the Wiki list is a good resource for players, and will let moderators know when they are needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jsdougan wrote:
The way I (currently) handle it is that I have a mega-spreadsheet which contains one sheet for each deck (except that I don't think I have it fully updated for after Villains). When I start a game, I copy the sheets for the new game into a new workbook.

There's a random number column that I sort by in order to shuffle decks, and then handle copy/paste from there. If people want to GM me an email address, I'll provide what I've currently got. It'll probably be winter break before I get to update for Villains, and summer before I update for OblivAeon (as I have a 90-minute commute for the foreseeable future).
I also do everything electronically, except that I find spreadsheets too slow. I do everything in a text format inside my favorite editor (Emacs).

One tip, regardless of how you do it: edit your posts in a separate text file, then copy-and-paste them into the forum. Whatever editor you use is sure to be easier to track than the web interface. You can also easily copy the old summary to make a new summary, since that changes relatively little from post to post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Brown
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's probably already obvious, given my recent post to start a game, but count me in for moderating and occasionally playing in a game.

Out of curiosity, what's the general opinion here about playing homebrew stuff-- do most people stick with officially released stuff? Or are people generally interested in trying out new stuff?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bobbertoriley322 wrote:
Out of curiosity, what's the general opinion here about playing homebrew stuff-- do most people stick with officially released stuff? Or are people generally interested in trying out new stuff?
Homebrew stuff is fine, but I would say you should be clear about any non-standard decks or variants when announcing the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually want to run a game of "only play decks/variants listed on this board (that have been playtested)".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atomic Robo
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could we change the name of this thread or could someone make a new thread exclusively for the wait list?

I'm a real big fan of everyone getting a fair turn at playing and right now it's hard to find the wait list and I'm pretty sure most people don't even realize it exists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got the waitlist bookmarked, but putting it somewhere more visible is a very good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Robertson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thinking of running a Cauldron vs Hydra Tiamat fight. Anyone have utilities they use and recommend? Currently thinking I could slap something together with Lackey at least for Cauldron since I have images for them. Might later expand it to include text of the canonical cards. Will post a download once I have it done, probably wouldn't be that great for live play, but great for PBF.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
It may be too clunky for PBF and it doesn't currently include character cards, but I have a version of my own Cauldron spoiler sheet that also includes the official cards, along with a very rudimentary 'digital deck' function.

Google Drive and Excel versions are here. You can download the Excel or make your own copy of the Drive version in order to edit stuff.

The second tab, 'Digital Deck', can be set to any deck, and then you can randomly 'draw' cards from it, with the sheet tracking what cards have been drawn. It's only set up to do 1 deck at a time, but you could get around this by making multiple copies of the sheet.

It doesn't use any macros or anything. I tried to add notes that explain how it works, but I'm also happy to answer questions if anyone tries using it. The Excel version is protected but there's no password, if you want to edit its functionality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Robertson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks a whole lot for that, starting in on creating the plugin for Lackey and the spreadsheet meant I could skip a few hours of data entry. Turns out the basic way it stores cards is a table converted to a plaintext document. Currently lacking graphics, but all Cauldron cards are in, just without images or character cards. Will be cleaning up sloppiness and assembling decks shortly, will put it up for download once those are dealt with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.