Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We only had two for games the other night. We hadn't played roborally in a few weeks, but two person Roborally is like drinking watered beer. So, we made something up on the spot...

One Board (the Canyon from Grand Prix)

Six flags; 1,3 and 5 near the Northeast corner, 2, 4 and 6 near the Southwest. Robots start on the Southwest corner.

Second Edition rules (Virtual Robots, Single and Double Wrenches)

Each Bot starts with 3 Gadgets (Cadillac Style)

Two bots per player. (Yes, this is a variant for experienced players...)

After each Bot is dealt its three Gadgets, the player designates one his Runner Bot, and the other his Blocker Bot. Gadgets may NOT be traded between the Bots on a team.

Only the Runner Bot can register on flags or move the team archive. The Blocker Bot respawns on the shared team archive.

Each flag has a pile of two Gadgets associated with it. When a Runner bot reaches a flag, their opponent chooses which Gadget they get. (Scavenger Hunt)

When recieving a Gadget from registering on a flag, the player may chose to equip it on either of his bots. Gadgets obtained from Double Wrenches go to the Bot who ended on the Double Wrench.

The game took four hours. Carl and I were both stunned; we figured we had been playing about two hours.

The game was intensely fun. With two robots to program, there was very little down time. (We did not use a timer; players had as long as needed to program their moves.)

We both agreed that playing the Blocker Bot was a totally new experience. Having an expendible Bot that could set its own adgenda feels very different from standard Roborally.

I took an early lead, having gotten lucky with a Pressor Beam. I kept the lead going through some momentous fights and shoving matches; the ever changing tactical situation kept us on the edges of our respective seats.

I was two flags up and headed for number 5 when Carl decided he had to change his luck. I sent my Blocker ahead to cover number 3, and to help fend off Carl's Blocker. Carl doubled both of his Bots back and double teamed my Runner.

Once I was forced to shut down, he sent his Runner on his way and kept his Blocker on my Runner's tail.

I was eventually able to get to 5, but for the trip to 6, I was planning on using the red Gate board element. Carl had sent his Blocker to the end to try and stop me (while his runner quickly caught up in Flag count).

By a combination of smart play and dumb luck, Carl managed to have his Blocker sitting on the gate every time I tried to go through.

By this time, every Gadget had been tossed to ignore damage, except for my Pressor Beam, on my Runner, and Carl's Tracter Beam, on his Blocker.

I finally managed to traverse the gate, and Pressored Carl's Runner off the board, sending him back to 5. Then his Blocker pushed me, and I found myself going BACK through the gate.

It was just a race now, and Carl, after trailing the whole game, finished on Register 2 of the final turn. I would have scored on Register 4.

We are keen to try this variant again; it was that much fun. We may use four flags, though, as things went a bit long... and next time, there will be three or four players, each with a renegade murder-bot in addition to their familiar scoring-bot.

Double programming is a bit taxing, but the differing roles of the two Bots makes for many interesting decisions.

Let me know if you decide to give it a try!

edit - Oh, and Bots have infinite lives. No one would have run out in our game, but it came close, and losing on lives would be a disapointing ending.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a great idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schmitt
United States
South Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend and I also tinkered with the rules because we were always playing two-player.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/408020/robot-tag-teaming...

Check the section on "Marauders"; it's a lot like what you describe. Feel free to play with some of the other ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.