Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dale Buonocore
United States
Warren
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I thought I'd start by trying for one win with each Faction and each Player Mat going against the Automa (using the farthest away Faction), and have gotten wins so far with Polania/Agricultural, Rusviet/Industrial, and Crimean/Patriotic. So far, so good.

But I'm now 0-4 playing Nordic/Engineering against the Automa (Crimean), and have pretty much gotten thumped each time. So the gauntlet has been thrown down, and I am now determined to figure out how to manage a win with this match-up before moving on to the Saxony/Mechanical one (and then moving on to the other 20 possible combinations).

I truly appreciate that this particular match-up is forcing me to explore tactics and strategies I really haven't considered much (if at all) up to this point, and is thus serving as a very good teacher -- and I absolutely love a game that can challenge me this way! And clearly the re-playability here is awesome given the 5X5 possible Faction/Player Mat combinations, plus the choice of difficulty level, plus the option of playing against 2 Automas, plus the choice(s) of opposing Automa Faction(s), plus the upcoming expansion with the 2 new Factions (any new Player Mats?)... whoa.

So I don't think this game will be gathering much dust sitting on my shelf at any point in the foreseeable future...

EDIT: To correct one spelling error (darn spellcheck likes to change "Automa" into "Automat" when I'm not paying attention to it!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lopez
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's funny, I've been planning to post the same type of thing about the Polania faction. I won my first three solo games (with random factions on both sides) by 18-30 points and was getting pretty confident. Then I played as Polania against a Rusviet Automa, and everything went downhill. The first game I lost 81 to 16, and the second was like 70-something to 19. I lost the third game 75-70 which wasn't so bad, but still a loss. I found it difficult to get combat units out with Polania, and this killed me. The Automa blitzed me the first two games and I spent literally about half of the first game with all of my units on my home base, surrounded by enemy units. The second game was slightly better but still a massacre. For the third game I resolved to get my mechs out as quickly as possible, and that helped but I still lost. I have yet to win that match up, but I haven't played it since losing those three games. Tonight I tried a different combination and finally won again, but it was a very close game throughout. I too was impressed and intrigued by the way that combination forced me to explore different tactics and strategies in the game. I also found that the faction mats had an impact on what I did and how well I did it. I'm quite enjoying the solo game, and it definitely adds terrific value for me. Seven of my eleven games have been solo, and I'm really looking forward to going against two Automas and putting an Automa into a2-player game. So many options!

Edited to correct the faction. I was Polania, not Crimea. Derp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, both of you, for taking the time to post this. It's great to hear that the game force you to explore different strategies. I personally love games that do that.

If you want more variety, you can explore the list of suggestions for how to tweak the difficulty and Automa personality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Buonocore
United States
Warren
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Mr. Pedersen, for taking a moment to step in here and respond this way. Your active presence here on these forums is truly priceless and is greatly appreciated.

And, as a primarily solo player, I truly admire and am really enjoying this elegant Automa system -- its multi-faceted flexibility, along with the way it synergistically "meshes" with this marvelous game, is quite stunning. Well done, sir -- very well done, indeed. I hope that you and your team will continue with these outstanding efforts...!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elad wrote:
Thank you, Mr. Pedersen, for taking a moment to step in here and respond this way. Your active presence here on these forums is truly priceless and is greatly appreciated.

And, as a primarily solo player, I truly admire and am really enjoying this elegant Automa system -- its multi-faceted flexibility, along with the way it synergistically "meshes" with this marvelous game, is quite stunning. Well done, sir -- very well done, indeed. I hope that you and your team will continue with these outstanding efforts...!

modest

That has got to be some of the highest praise our work has gotten . In return I can say that I had a lot of fun with your solo variant for Village (I've told you that before, but it bears repeating).

Oh, and please just call me Morten .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Kuhn
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oo, this is fun! I like the idea of posting difficult puzzle set-ups and then hashing out how solo players solved it There is still a little randomness in card draw, but a good strat is a good strat.

What difficulty did you try this on?

I've played about 12 games of solo scythe and have loved every minute of it. I've only beat Ultimaszya once and it was the crimean/patriotic board combo you mentioned that may be the most powerful combination in the game, but only time will tell.

Looking forward to joining you on the quest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav W
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished the game on normal difficulty. It was a breeze but took a while as I logged it manually.
Numbers in parentheses are the current total for that player.

Setup:
Edit: Nordic Engineering
Combat card 4
Buildings in a row building card
Obj 5 and 6

1 Move forest worker to tundra, bjorn to forest
Automa card 7 Move farm worker to mountain, 1(6) coin, 1(3) worker

2 Produce 2(2) oil
Automa card 12 no move, 4(9) power

3 Move tundra worker to village, bjorn to mountain, Encounter 21(second choice), -4(1) coin, speed mech at village
Automa card 14 Zehra to mountain, encounter, 1(4) worker, 1(1) card

4 Produce oil, Upgrade move to upgrade, 1(3) worker -2(0) oil, 2(3) coin
Automa card 8 base worker to farm, mech(1), no longer hindered by water

5 Trade -1(2) coin, 1(1) metal, 1(1) oil
Automa card 18 Zehra to village between tunnels, encounter, 1(7) coin, 1(5) worker

6 Produce, Upgrade produce to enlist, 2(5) workers, -1(0) oil, 2(4) coin
Automa card 6 home base worker to tunnel tundra, 2(11) power

7 Move Village mech with 4 workers to farm closest to home base, 1 farm worker to tundra, 1 farm worker to mountain
Automa card 3 base worker to village between tunnels and Zehra, 3(14) power

8 Produce, Upgrade bolster to deploy, -1(3) power, 2(2) food, 1(2) metal 2(6) coin
Automa card 17 village worker to same place, 2(9) coin, no track progress

9 Trade, Deploy seaworthy mech on mountain -2(0) metal, -1(5) coin, 1(1) wood
Automa card 16 Zehra to saxony village, encounter, 1(2) mech

10 Move Bjorn to tunnel tundra near home base, mountain worker to home forest, Enlist upgrade to cards (a 3 and a 2), -2(0) food, 1(6) coin
Automa card 15 Zehra to tundra next to factory, 3(18) power, 1(10) coin, 1(1) star, no track progress

11 Produce, Upgrade trade to build, 2(8) coins, 2(2) food, 1(2) wood
Automa card 2 village worker to same place, 2(12) coin, 1(2) star, reshuffle and turn deck

12 Move Bjorn to village encounter near home base, village mech to other mech, Encounter 28 (first choice), Enlist build to popularity, -2(0) food, 3(11) coins, 3(5) popularity
Automa card 11 Zehra to Factory grabbing card, 1(6) worker

13 Bolster 3(6) power, Build Monument on tundra next to home base -2(0) wood, 2(12) coins, 1(6) popularity
Automa card 16 mech from home base to lake NE of factory, 1(3) mech, 1(13) coin

14 Produce, Upgrade bolster to build, 2(14) coins, 2(2) food, 1(1) wood
Automa card 1 worker from home base to tundra SW of factory, I gain 1(7) power

15 Bolster, Build Mill on forest next to home base, 3(10) power, -1(0) wood, 2(8) popularity, 2(16) coins
Automa card 3 village worker to same place, 1(7) worker, I gain 1(9) popularity

16 Produce, Upgrade, 1(1) star, 2(4) food, 2(2) wood, 2(18) coins
Automa card 2 home base worker to lake SE of factory, 1(14) coin, 1(2) card, 1(4) mech, 1(3) star

17 Bolster, Build Tunnel on farm SE of Monument, 3(13) power, -1(1) wood, 2(11) popularity, 2(20) coins
Automa card 17 home base mech attack my mechs, I choose to lose playing a 2 card, automa card 8 for combat, 1(4) star, 2(16) coins, 1(8) worker, -2(0) cards, -7(9) power, I gain a card (a 3), 1(12) popularity, no track progress

18 Move Bjorn to encounter NE of Polania, worker from farm to farm to the east, worker from farm to Rusviet village, Encounter 27 (2nd choice), Enlist enlist to coins, 1(21) coins, 4(4) metal, -2(2) food
Automa card 4 home base worker to factory, 3(19) coins, I gain 1(14) power, no track progress

19 Bolster, Build Armory on Rusviet village, 3(16) power, -1(0) wood, 2(14) popularity, 2(23) coins, 2(3) stars
Automa card 12 home base mech to forest NW of factory, 1(1) card, 1(20) coin

20 Move Bjorn to forest NW of factory with automa mech, worker on rusviet village to rusviet mountain, worker on home forest west to village, I play 7 power and a 4 card, automa card 7 for combat, I win, Enlist deploy to power, -2(0) food, 1(24) coin, 1 card (a 2), -5(11) power, 1(1) wood, 2(5) stars, automa -7(2) power, 1(2) card
Automa card 14 home base mech to my home tundra sending the 2 workers home, 3(5) power, I gain 1(15) popularity

21 Produce, -1(10) power, 1(1) food, 1(5) metal, 1(2) wood, 1(6) workers
Automa card 6 mech on lake NE of factory to same place, 1(21) coin, 2(7) power, 1(4) mech, 1(5) star, I gain 1(11) power

22 Move home base mech to home mountain with automa mech, Bjorn to factory with Zehra and worker, worker from village west of home forest to western farm. I start with my mech using 4 power and a 3 card, automa card 9 for combat (4 power and a 2 card), I win, factory combat, I use 7 power and a 3 card, automa card 2 for combat, I win. -11(0) power, -1(14) popularity 1(6) star

Score
Nord Crim
Stars 30(6) 20(5)
Territories 44(11) 27(9)
Resources 12(8) -
Coins 24 21
Buildings 9(4)

Total 119 68
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Buonocore
United States
Warren
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken -- I'm playing at the "Normal"/Automa difficulty level.

Gustav -- Wow! Well done, and thanks so much for posting that. I'll have to sit down and really study how you pulled off that massive win! There's clearly so much to learn about playing this game skillfully -- yay!

Morten -- Thanks so much for your kind words... modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav W
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I was happy about it myself.

But when I thought about it now I realized I placed the mech from the first encounter wrong, playing this correctly would have changed the game somewhat.
It's only my 3rd game (2nd automa) and I learned the rule about placing the benefits from encounters wrong the first time I played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Buonocore
United States
Warren
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that 51 point margin of victory, that mistake surely wouldn't have changed the ultimate outcome.

I just got really close to a victory with this match-up this evening, losing 93-84. Kind of "turtled" and played defensively, focusing on upgrades, recruits, mechs, and structures, while avoiding getting too many workers out too early due to the consequent high cost of production. Only got that one home territory encounter, but got my popularity up to the top tier -- and if I had only managed to take the Factory space before the end, I would've won it. Lesson learned...

Great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.