Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Yanked from their Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/stratelibri.giochiuniti/photos/a.10...

Hmmm....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feras H
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Sneak Peek of Kingsburg 3rd Edition
Second or third?
The facebook link states second?

My opinion.... I dont like it. Ill stay with my current edition thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
All you need is love :)
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so glad having a first edition ... it's like the second edition of Saint Petersburg - compared to the first, it looks lifeless.

And a bad choice of colors too! Blue/red! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is that a joke? gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
feraswheel wrote:
Second or third?

Second. FFG's version had some clarification in the rulebook, but I wouldn't call it a different edition.

The new art doesn't look bad, but the graphic design is a huge turn-off, although I see what they were going for. I will gladly stick to my first edition copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Kingsburg, therefore I was patiently waiting for the new edition to buy the game finally. But this graphic design sucks. I think I'm going to find a used first edition...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
I'm so glad having a first edition ... it's like the second edition of Saint Petersburg - compared to the first, it looks lifeless.

And a bad choice of colors too! Blue/red! shake
lifeless, more so. Almost like it has, no soul. Almost like, Caylus gulp

Only pro is that it has markings for higher temp strength than 9.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that's really ugly! This has to be a joke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schafer
United States
Prior Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I'll keep mine thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Brito
Brazil
Niterói
RJ
flag msg tools
Gaming Engine
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to be the case of another game's art turning to worse in a new edition. After St Petersburg, Colosseum, etc, it looks like it's becoming a trend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh. I found the game to be a bit meh, but I liked the art style of the original. This is awful. So generic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That is awful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingsburg is my favorite game. I've played it a bunch of times. When I did my re-theme, I removed the resources section because what I found was that it didn't allow you to place the resources central to all players.

Also as far as I could tell, the hierarchy of the advisers seemed meaningless (especially because of the +2 tokens). In this 2nd edition board, the bottom two rows both have 6 advisers but the bottom-most row is wider only because they physically spread them out more. There is a lot more deadspace as a result.

I think overall the new board will look nice on a table and, from a distance, less busy; but compared to the 1st edition, it just lacks the charm and whimsy of a game with goblins and demons. Perhaps they changed those out to more realistic threats?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Liouville
Germany
Kaiserslautern
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just checked my calendar... it is not April 1st.

I just hope this isn't final.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Strubczewski
United States
Gettysburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please get new artwork!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A short timeline of my response to this thread:

1) Read thread title, worry that a new cooler edition is coming out to make me envious (see Stronghold, 2nd edition)

2) Click thread title, see OP

3) No longer care about new edition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanasis Patsios
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's worth mentioning that they didn't get into publishing another version because there was something wrong with the previous one. They only did it so that the game doesn't remain in OOP status anymore.

All I'm saying is they probably didn't want/couldn't invest too much into artwork, they were simply after putting more copies of an OOP game into the market.

Having said that, I'm definitely keeping my first edition, since I like the artwork better. And I thank the people behind the new version for making the new expansion module available to first edition owners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph M.
Germany
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
looks like no rules changes, not even to king/queen.

And yes, ugly...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Timmerman
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Horror Leader wrote:

I really like this re-themed version. Do you have the "buildings" for it as well?

I concur that the board for 2nd edition is terrible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ziga Zupanek
Slovenia
Domžale
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
+1 to what everyone else have said. It looks sterile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
Agreed that I really dislike the graphic design. Some thoughts:

1. Too much negative space. While I doubt the purple glow is final, you have individual graphic elements floating together in a void, like letters in an alphabet soup. There's no unity, no connecting elements, and if anything the strong borders of the different elements (in particular the cameos) create a sense of separation between each element and the ground behind them all.

2. Layered negative space. Each cameo includes its own, second negative space (the grey behind each portrait).

3. Noisy, repetitive cameo border elements. The arch and ribbons combine to take up a great deal of overall space, plus the sheer number of times they are repeated grates, not to mention distracts from the actual, pertinent information for each location.

4. Annoying "kerning". The bottom row portraits being identical to the others but spread slightly farther apart creates a jarring inconsistency and "breaks" the pattern all the rest of them have. Moving the wizard to the top row to go 3-4-5-6 rather than 2-4-6-6 would avoid the issue while retaining a pyramid shape.

5. No sense of priority or flow. The many elements are equally weighted for attention, meaning the eye has no clear path of transit and no place to rest. Everything is competing, nothing is saying "first look here, then go over there, and lastly come down this way."

This likely is a work in progress; I can only hope the graphic design is ongoing, and this is just an early effort to get all the game elements present so they can be developed and played with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Horror Leader wrote:
Also as far as I could tell, the hierarchy of the advisers seemed meaningless (especially because of the +2 tokens). In this 2nd edition board, the bottom two rows both have 6 advisers but the bottom-most row is wider only because they physically spread them out more. There is a lot more deadspace as a result.

There was a reason for that... it was a visual cue that having just 1 die lets you influence advisors only from the 1st row. Having 2 dice means you can only influence advisors on the 2nd row. Yes, die modifiers like the Market and +2 token will change that, but I found that "visual reminder" helped, even though it wasn't THAT necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
NasosP wrote:
All I'm saying is they probably didn't want/couldn't invest too much into artwork, they were simply after putting more copies of an OOP game into the market.

Then they should just have kept the original. Licensing previously used art is usually much less expensive than commissioning new art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris Coyote wrote:
looks like no rules changes, not even to king/queen.

The first thing I checked was if they had nerfed the queen. Disappointingly, they haven't. There is, however, a wood icon in the winter box. I suppose everybody gets one piece of wood in the winter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Revised to say 2nd edition instead of 3rd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.