17 Posts

Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Rules

Subject: Lady luck vs End of Days rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Apologies if this has been asked before, but it came up...

So, we're fighting Kismet and she has Lady Luck in play, which whenever a villain card would be destroyed gives her a chance to save it if she reveals a non-lucky card. Lets say she also has a Two Left Feet out as well.

So, End of days comes down and does its thing. It tries to destroy Two Left Feet, Lady luck intervenes, gets a non-lucky card and saves Two Left feet, and my question begins. Does End of Days just keep banging away at Two left Feet until Kismet fails to reveal a non-lucky card, or has it had it's one crack at the ongoing and continue to have a go at Lady Luck then blow itself up?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

1. Destroy a card in play.

2. Are there any non-relic, non-character cards in play? (Besides End of Days)

3. If yes, destroy a card in play.

End of Days does not know or care if it has tried to kill a card previously; there is nothing to indicate that only one attempt is allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Radulla wrote:

1. Destroy a card in play.

2. Are there any non-relic, non-character cards in play? (Besides End of Days)

3. If yes, destroy a card in play.

End of Days does not know or care if it has tried to kill a card previously; there is nothing to indicate that only one attempt is allowed.

Gonna be a loooooooooooooooong game if there are any indestructible cards in play

Regardless, this answer is correct though I can totally understand why it might not seem proper. As I've already said indestructible cards mess with the notion that the card tries over and over again. Additionally there are many cards that say things along the lines of:

"At the end of the Environment turn, deal each Target 2 Energy Damage and destroy this card."

These cards only try once per target and don't retry on a failed attempt so why should End of Days? Honestly because we've received official rulings that "retry" is correct so that's the way to play it though part of me kinda wished they went with "1 try per card" which would keep all rules consistent and takes care of the indestructible issue automatically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Weird. But thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are other similR card interactions; I can't think of the name right now but there's a villain who can create zombies whenever a cultist is destroyed. Hero cards which say "hit all villian targets with 1 hp" wind up just destroying the cultist and then immediately destroying the zombie.

Of course in your case you'd probably want End of Days to destroy the Lady Luck card first and avoid this issue in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
... if it does work that way. As stated, damage to all targets doesn't keep hitting the same card, so long as it's a target in play. I read through all of the very long discussion on this matter before, and despite some very inflamed insistence that it does do what other cards don't, I did not find that conclusion from the designer--only a snippet of non-specific, unsourced quote that didn't directly address the issue.

I mean, it might still be the correct response, but I'd really like to see where it has been officially ruled and not just insisted upon, repeatedly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Stull
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This scenario can occur in the video game and what happens is that End of Days will keep trying until it's successful in destroying it. If an indestructible card is in play End of Days will not continue trying to destroy it. Like Robrob said earlier it's best to target Lady Luck first rather than any other cards so you get past that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crazy play test scenario... Play a (video) game in the Time Cataclysm. Wait until Fixed Point is in play (all cards except Fixed Point are indestructible). Have Fanatic play End of Days. When the selection screen comes up, try to destroy every card except Fixed Point first. Pretty sure you will eventually have to destroy fixed point then all the other cards you previously tried to destroy but were indestructible at the time.

After thought - realized half way through typing that that their may be a timing issue since both cards activate at the start of the environment turn. Might have to do some shenanigans with dark visionary stacking the environment. Fanatic playing end of days. Then Rook City Wraith plays the top card of the environment (previously stacked fixed point).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it would matter; Fixed Point is a static effect, always on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He means because Fixed Point is not indestructible; only everything else is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tested Fixed Point in the recently game with Devastating Aurora.

It skipped both hero ongoings and equipment, then destroyed Fixed Point, then destroyed the rest of the environment cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TakeWalker wrote:
I tested Fixed Point in the recently game with Devastating Aurora.

It skipped both hero ongoings and equipment, then destroyed Fixed Point, then destroyed the rest of the environment cards.

That actually sounds right.

I'm going off of memory, but I believe THAT CARD says:
"Destroy all hero ongoing cards.
Destroy all equipment cards.
Destroy all environment cards."

Things happen in that order. So DA tries to destroy ongoings, but they're indestructible. Then it tries to destroy equipment. Same. Then environments. Even if you try to destroy all the non fixed point cards first, eventually it will destroy fixed point and still be in the 'destroy environment' step of the card and destroy everything else, but it won't go back to the previous 2 sentences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And from that experiment, I learned that destroying a card to prevent card destruction is pointless! And it's back to the drawing board for a few decks. :V

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. If you want a custom card to prevent destruction meaningfully, it needs to make the protected card temporarily indestructible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TakeWalker wrote:
And from that experiment, I learned that destroying a card to prevent card destruction is pointless! And it's back to the drawing board for a few decks. :V

I'm not understanding the highlighted part. It might depend on how the specific cards are worded, but if you're able to destroy End of Days (for example) in the middle of it destroying stuff, the remaining cards in play are safe.

I think the classic example is bee bot. Use EoD to destroy all villain cards and environments, then destroy bee bot. Use bee bot's ability to destroy EoD then all the hero cards are safe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I'm talking "When a hero card would be destroyed, you may destroy this card instead to prevent that destruction."

The only utility is if that card is an equipment or ongoing and any number of specifically just the opposite sort of card is being destroyed. If you're under the effects of Devastating Aurora (or End of Days/Apocalypse), there's no point, as they'll both be destroyed anyway. (And if you're under an effect where X hero ongoing or equipment cards are being destroyed, well, you're just choosing card A instead of card B to be destroyed.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd McCorkle
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TakeWalker wrote:
No, I'm talking "When a hero card would be destroyed, you may destroy this card instead to prevent that destruction."

The only utility is if that card is an equipment or ongoing and any number of specifically just the opposite sort of card is being destroyed. If you're under the effects of Devastating Aurora (or End of Days/Apocalypse), there's no point, as they'll both be destroyed anyway. (And if you're under an effect where X hero ongoing or equipment cards are being destroyed, well, you're just choosing card A instead of card B to be destroyed.)

Ah! Gotcha.

FlatOnHisFace wrote:
Yeah. If you want a custom card to prevent destruction meaningfully, it needs to make the protected card temporarily indestructible.

I'll +1 this as the way to go then. "Destroy this card to make foo indestructible until end of turn/start of (your) next turn" should work.

Hmmm... I wonder if a hero could be designed around that concept.

Power: Choose 2/3 hero ongoings and/or equipment cards. These cards are indestructible until the start of your next turn.

No idea what kind of cards could/should be in the deck though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.