Hide
4 Posts

Terra Mystica: Fire & Ice» Forums » Rules

Subject: Expansion rules/faction balance rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henrik Løv
msg tools
Hi there, I just acquired the base game, and after just 6 games I am so hooked that I consider buying the expansion. I see alot of different versions of shapeshifters and riverwalkrrs on snellman, and also an updated version of the rule book. So my question is, if I will be purchasing an outdated game that needs fiddling with stickers and whatnot? Is it possible to acquire an updated version of the expansion?
I really dont want to buy a game, where i know beforehand creates more imbalance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the only version of the expansion is the original. They haven't reprinted it with any of the changes yet. I'm not sure if they're done tweaking the new races yet.

I recommend incorporating the new passing mechanic that the expansion introduces, even if you don't buy the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the expansion useful for the rebalanced board, the turn order board, and the ice races. We do not use the fire races or the Shapeshifters/Riverwalkers.

If you can get it for cheap, go for it. If not, then I'd pass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Trucker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my eyes the base game is a really round game with very high replayability - I guess you can easily have fun for a few dozen plays (playing each faction at least 2-3 times) with the base game only, before you may really need more variety.

If you reach the point were you want more variety, Fire&Ice is a really good choice:

Major pros for me:
- Volcano and Ice factions are well balanced in their basic version and both fun and demanding to play
- The new Fire and Ice map is really good and different to play

Minor pros
- Variable player order balances the order at the table (sitting left to the worst player is no longer a big advantage) but is a bit more complicated
- Additional final scoring tiles add some veriety (but also feel more pointr salad-ish)

Minor cons:
- Base game versions of shapeshifters and riverwalkers are not balanced (but you can easily leave them out or print out the errata - with this both are slightly weak but well playable)
- The remade original map is balanced worse than it's predecessor (but noone forces you to play it)

If yAll in all you can get 4 more great factions, a second great map, two optional variants - which is already easily worth the purchase if you need more variety!
2 more (only) okay factions and one more slightly useless map are no reason to buy it for me by itself, but are also of course no reason to not buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.