8 Posts

The Grizzled» Forums » Rules

Subject: chitchat allowed ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darnell Crabman
msg tools
Hi!
I (and we sometimes ) used to play this game and 99% of the time we lose!
The rules say you can't talk with others.
But it s war! you need to speak with your mates!
How do you play this game, d you give some informations about your cards ? like " weather s changing ,not good" meaning other players should play some cards with rain ?
Otherwise it's impossible to win, and it s deceiving because the idea of the game is really good.
Thanx for your answers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Bauer
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a coop game. You can play it how you wish if it make sit more enjoyable for you. Sometimes, we play with more or less communication with Pandemic, depending on what would make it fun for the group. Myself, I do not see a problem with increasing or decreasing communication in a game depending on the group. As you improve in the game, try less and less communication. I play a game to make the group have fun, not just for an impossible challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Heath has sound advice if your aim is to simply make the game easier, or as he makes clear, to gradually increase the difficulty level. Many players have a different definition of "fun". So to be bluntly honest, it seems to me that if you simply want to get together with a few friends to chit-chat and have fun and merriment, there are other games that are better suited.

OTOH, many players consider it fun playing 'The Grizzled' the way it's meant to be played. Though in this case, the "fun" factor is on a different level.

So how is it "meant" to be played? First, the game is supposed to be tough! (If you want it easier by design, try the expansion). You are on the battlefield, afterall. You're fighting in the midst of one of the most horrific wars the world has ever witnessed. Consider that there is loud noise everywhere... shells, gunfire, vehicles, screams, shouting... which all makes the level of chaos that much worse.

And also, makes it hard to hear your buddies on the battlefield! So thematically, when it's not hard to simply hear each other talk, sometimes you may find yourselves apart from each other, for whatever reason.

So I offer the following opinion of how it's "meant" to be played (per page 11): You can't discuss with each other the cards in your hands, your intentions about what you plan to do next, your intentions of what support token you plan to play and who you intend to give it to. The above includes not dropping any hints about what card should be played to the table, or any hints about what card you have in your hand, or about what sort of speech someone should give! You also shouldn't discuss why you're withdrawing.

So what can you talk about?
Of course, general chit-chat is fine... talk all you want about what cards are on the table, about what cards generally can't be played next, about who needs the most support (as opposed to who you intend to support). Feel free to talk about the situation on the battlefield, or how many cards are left in the Trials Deck, etc.

Bottom Line: 'The Grizzled' is two completely different games depending on how you play it. If you play it so that you can talk freely - just to have fun together - then it really is a lifeless, dull co-op.

But OTOH, if you follow the guidance I opined above, the game changes dramatically! It becomes tense, riveting, and immersive. You together with each of your friends, really have to use your gut when making a decision - not your mouth! The game becomes, again, totally different! It's always a request at my local meet-up game nights.

Don't get me wrong - your group can still chit-chat about this and that dealing with the game to add to your enjoyment. Just don't talk about the items I listed above and you'll also have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Corrigan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Men don't talk, we don't explain, we give you coffee and put an arm around your shoulder as you rock and mutter. We know this may be all there is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To BGM

thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

This is interesting... the day following my post above, I find this gem of a blog post by Oliver Kiley. In it, he mentions 'The Grizzled', and captures PERFECTLY why the game really shouldn't be "fun" per se.

Go here: Reflecting on Depictions of the Great War

I subscribe to some of Oliver's activity as I love a game he designed, called Hegemonic: Hegemonic

Anyway, getting back to his blog post... when I read it just now, I had to come back here to let you all know about it - I hope it does a better job than I did above, to help address the OP's question!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darnell Crabman
msg tools
I did and they answered me, that is cool!
I tried a one player game and I won twice!
I can understand this point of view about "war games", here it's just have good time playing with his friends.
(There s a plenty of war graves close to where I live (the front was less 50km from here) so I guess what he means)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.