Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I forgot how toxic people can be on the internet. This post has been removed and all of my further posts on this thread have been deleted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Denoize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Making Antiquity From Scratch
Temelin wrote:

1) How often do buildings get graves on them?

Often enough. I can't swear it happens every game to every player, but this is something that occurs at least once in most of games.

Temelin wrote:

2) Can you think of any other way to represent graves on 3-D buildings?

"Holes" in the buildings, to put grave flags ?

Temelin wrote:

3) Is it true that nothing ever gets put on top of cities out on the map tiles?

Yes

Temelin wrote:

4) Is there any information about the layout of each of the map tiles?

Ponton's java implementation contains all of the images. Open it as if it was a zip file (see files section)

Temelin wrote:

5) Does anyone have a suggestion for what material to use for the map tiles?

Foamboard (not sure about this word)

Temelin wrote:

Please let me know if there is anything I'm missing or if you have any suggestions. Thank you so much!

Good luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven De Puysseleir
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
trust me, I'm a dentist
badge
we don't lie, we use statistics
mbmbmbmbmb
Temelin wrote:
I've been interested in Antiquity for some time now, but instead of paying the high out-of-print price I would rather make my own decked out copy.

You could also buy the high new-printrun price at splotter. I suppose they're still taking preorders atm.

If any copies left, they might bring those to Essen 2016.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucien Copus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Antiquity isn't being reprinted at the moment, just Indonesia and The Great Zimbabwe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris D'Andrea
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogrecrusher wrote:
Antiquity isn't being reprinted at the moment, just Indonesia and The Great Zimbabwe.

Yep I preordered those two already and am praying for another Antiquity Print run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven De Puysseleir
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
trust me, I'm a dentist
badge
we don't lie, we use statistics
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogrecrusher wrote:

You're absolutely right! Apologies for the wrong information. shake

Essen 2 years ago, a single copy of antiquity was on the no shipping auction list for 80€ and much to my surprise, nobody was topping my (minimum) bid.
So be on the watch-out, you just might get lucky!

I suppose that if their sales on indonesia and tgz go well they'll reprint antiquity in one of the coming years.
Seen the (relatively) high demand for this game, I'm guessing in favor of a reprint.
Here's hoping on an improvement of the components.

only time will tell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Temelin wrote:
I've been interested in Antiquity for some time now, but instead of paying the high out-of-print price I would rather make my own decked out copy.

as someone hinted at the price when "in print" is like most splotter titles done in small print runs are "high"... the geek market prices actually aren't that much higher, I see half a dozen at $200 or less

the problem you are going to find of making your own is that in a lot of cases it can cost you more in the end... both monetarily and even more so in people hours

in any case should you choose to accept this mission, as always keep us all up to date on your progress, and time and money spent so far, and of course pics
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lordunborn wrote:
Yep I preordered those two already and am praying for another Antiquity Print run.

no praying needed, splotter is very reliable at re-printing all their best games... on their own time table and not on anything else
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Temelin wrote:
If I'm going to spend a good bit of money on the game I would rather it be something I find visually and tactilely enjoyable. I also find that when I make something myself I value it more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IKEA_effect

I definitely feel you there.
To save money I just started mowing my own lawn after a couple years of hiring someone. Just walking around on my freshly cut grass, I appreciate it way more having done it myself cool

Make sure to post pics, can't wait to see!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
Temelin wrote:
I also find that when I make something myself I value it more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IKEA_effect
To save money I just started mowing my own lawn after a couple years of hiring someone.

I'm not sure using IKEA "assemble it yourself" products is any kind of comparison to actually "making something myself"

but as someone who has been mowing their own lawn (and shoveling or snowblowing their own driveway) for 25 years, welcome to the DIYS club JD, you are going to find either your wallet a lot fatter or having lots more to spend on board games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Temelin wrote:
Thank you all for the responses!
I probably won't be buying the game because, while I fully respect that some people enjoy the components, I do not, and my play group does not either. I personally wouldn't want to pay that much money for the chits that come with it. That is not a dig on Splotter or the game itself, just personal preference. If I'm going to spend a good bit of money on the game I would rather it be something I find visually and tactilely enjoyable. I also find that when I make something myself I value it more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IKEA_effect

You could just also create your own game rules, therefore creating your own game that uses whatever parts you deem necessary, rather than using Spoltter's rules since you don't feel the need to compensate them for their game. I look forward to seeing what design you can come up with unfettered by other people's ideas. If it is good enough I'll buy your game just like I bought Antiquity. Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Temelin wrote:
If I buy this game right now, I would in no way be contributing to the designer, publisher, or anyone down the chain. I would be buying a used copy of an out of print game from some random person on ebay or trading for it. If Splotter wants my money they can print the game again and I'd gladly add it to my collection.

you do realize of course this it not true... there is a pretty good chance the person you would have bought a copy from is only selling while prices are elevated and will buy a new copy when the game is re-printed. ie. buy low sell high. Done if myself (w/other game titles) many a times.

In any case you are of course are free to make a copy of any game for personal use as long as you didn't use copyrighted materials and you don't solicit/provide such materials here on BGG, from

https://boardgamegeek.com/community_rules#toc3
Quote:
Requesting or providing information or materials that allows others to create, purchase, or download unofficial replications of a game or other works protected by copyright without the permission of the rights holder.

from what I can tell imho you haven't done so nor plan to do so. You just have a lot of work a head of you... quite possible splotter does reprint before you complete your project

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
In any case you are of course are free to make a copy of any game for personal use as long as you didn't use copyrighted materials

This depends on the country you live in. In the Netherlands you can make a copy for personal use, even by using copyrighted materials.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will, you stated earlier in this thread that the reason you do not wish to buy Antiquity is due to not liking the components; before my initial response you never stated anything about its status of whether it is in print nor inquired about status of the game's future printing plans. In other Splotter threads, specifically for Food Chain Magnate, people have complained about price in relation to component quality and many people seem to miss you are also buying a rule set in addition to components.

If you take my comments as passive aggressive, that's your prerogative, but I stated exactly what I meant to state. You seem industrious. Try making your own game inspired by Antiquity, and that gives you the freedom to change, add, or delete components as you see fit. Post it here when you're done. If it is well regarded, try a Kickstarter. I'd love to see a new game; who wouldn't? My apologies if you were offended by my post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
lordunborn wrote:

no praying needed, splotter is very reliable at re-printing all their best games... on their own time table and not on anything else

And guessing at that time table, they typically target Essen, and this year the reprints are set and Antiquity is not among them. It could be next year, but if they do a new game (which is possible), then it would most likely be Essen 2018. I'd guess that would be the latest though. It's possible they could do a reprint next year even if a new game is planned too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Antagonistic, insulting, or otherwise disruptive comments ARE NOT welcome here.

Please use the icon when you see disruptive or antagonistic comments or any other violations of the Community Rules. This serves two purposes:

1- using the icon will bring that post to the attention of forum moderators so they can deal with it appropriately. We prefer that you not respond to the post directly. Responding invites the offender to continue, and if you respond aggressively you may end up dragging yourself down with the offender.

2- if enough users flag a post using the icon then that post will be hidden from general view, preventing others from being exposed to it.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
Temelin wrote:
ravenskana wrote:
Will, you stated earlier in this thread that the reason you do not wish to buy Antiquity is due to not liking the components; before my initial response you never stated anything about its status of whether it is in print nor inquired about status of the game's future printing plans. In other Splotter threads, specifically for Food Chain Magnate, people have complained about price in relation to component quality and many people seem to miss you are also buying a rule set in addition to components.

If you take my comments as passive aggressive, that's your prerogative, but I stated exactly what I meant to state. You seem industrious. Try making your own game inspired by Antiquity, and that gives you the freedom to change, add, or delete components as you see fit. Post it here when you're done. If it is well regarded, try a Kickstarter. I'd love to see a new game; who wouldn't? My apologies if you were offended by my post.

Okay, you're right, give me the designer's address and I'll send him a check for his rules. How much do you propose? You're acting like I am mass producing his intellectual property for my profit.
And for the record I said that I don't want to pay "the high out-of-print price" which is in the actual first sentence of my original post.
Thanks for letting me know that it is within the realm of possibilities for someone to design a game, which has absolutely zero relevance to this thread.

There are two designers, Jeroen Doumen and Joris Wiersinga. I don't think they publicly list a mailing address anymore, but it'd be in The Netherlands anyway, and firing off an international personal check probably wouldn't be very effective.

As BGG community members, you could contact them right here:
Joris Wiersinga
Netherlands
Leiden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Jeroen Doumen
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this player's page
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, this thread ended up going about as I expected it would.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.