Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

A Feast for Odin» Forums » Rules

Subject: Hunting game and whaling boat. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Felipe Bulhões
Brazil
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
"When hunting, laying snares,
and whaling, reduce the
value of your roll by one for
each ore (even preprinted
ore) on the whaling boat(s)
you are using to perform the
action (you keep the ore)".

From page 18 of the recent published manual.


If I am understanding correctly, if you have a whaling boat, you get -1(or -2) to the dice roll of a Hunting Game action even though the action space itself on the board doesn't have a whaling boat depicted in it? Same case for laying a snare? If so, this will be tricky to remember during play.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kieritz
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
That rule has the part: whaling boat(s) you are using

How many whaling boats are you using to hunt?
I would say you use one for the right whaling action, all of them for the left whaling action and none of them for the hunting and laying snares action.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Bulhões
Brazil
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Timbo_ wrote:
That rule has the part: whaling boat(s) you are using

How many whaling boats are you using to hunt?
I would say you use one for the right whaling action, all of them for the left whaling action and none of them for the hunting and laying snares action.


I thought the same way initially , but why mention the hunting game and laying a snare actions at all if that was the case?

Thanks for the reply
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gannon Dubay
United States
Rochester
NY - New York
flag msg tools
I like big boxes and I can not lie.
badge
Rochester, NY - Willing to Play!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I found there are several instances where the rules lump multiple actions' descriptions together that could result in some confusion.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Heeren
Germany
Eppstein-Bremthal
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Rulebook wrote:
"When hunting, laying snares and whaling, reduce the value of your roll by one for each ore (even preprinted ore) on the whaling boat(s) you are using to perform the action (you keep the ore)"


That is not correct, the ore is used for whaling only! It should read:

When whaling, subtract 1 from your roll for each ore (including the preprinted one) on the whaling boats you use for the action. (Keep the ore.)
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus G.
Germany
flag msg tools
Is it necessary to have at least 1 whale boat as you need a kite boat as a prerequisite. Is this the same way with whaling boats?
Or does the whaling go completely without a boat?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Smeary wrote:
Is it necessary to have at least 1 whale boat as you need a kite boat as a prerequisite. Is this the same way with whaling boats?
Or does the whaling go completely without a boat?

I don't know exactly what you're talking about here with kite boat, but yes, you need at least one whaling boat to take a whaling action.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus G.
Germany
flag msg tools
grant5 wrote:
Smeary wrote:
Is it necessary to have at least 1 whale boat as you need a kite boat as a prerequisite. Is this the same way with whaling boats?
Or does the whaling go completely without a boat?

I don't know exactly what you're talking about here with kite boat, but yes, you need at least one whaling boat to take a whaling action.


I used the Google translator. German word: Drachen Boot. The better word i think is "dragon boat". I searched in the digital version of the rulebook (with the search through the document funktion) and i didnt found that you must have a whaling boat like you must have s dragon boat.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Silverman
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect you mean longboat. The ones that cost 3 vikings and 2 wood, or 8 silver?

Yes, just like pillaging and raiding and plundering require longships, whaling requires whaling boats.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus G.
Germany
flag msg tools
silvergoose wrote:
I suspect you mean longboat. The ones that cost 3 vikings and 2 wood, or 8 silver?

Yes, just like pillaging and raiding and plundering require longships, whaling requires whaling boats.


Exactly. If you are interested, the german words are: Knorr, Drachenschiff und Walfangboot.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Smeary wrote:
grant5 wrote:
Smeary wrote:
Is it necessary to have at least 1 whale boat as you need a kite boat as a prerequisite. Is this the same way with whaling boats?
Or does the whaling go completely without a boat?

I don't know exactly what you're talking about here with kite boat, but yes, you need at least one whaling boat to take a whaling action.


I used the Google translator. German word: Drachen Boot. The better word i think is "dragon boat". I searched in the digital version of the rulebook (with the search through the document funktion) and i didnt found that you must have a whaling boat like you must have s dragon boat.

It's definitely in the rules. Also the icons on the action space on the board show this as well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus G.
Germany
flag msg tools
grant5 wrote:
Smeary wrote:
grant5 wrote:
Smeary wrote:
Is it necessary to have at least 1 whale boat as you need a kite boat as a prerequisite. Is this the same way with whaling boats?
Or does the whaling go completely without a boat?

I don't know exactly what you're talking about here with kite boat, but yes, you need at least one whaling boat to take a whaling action.


I used the Google translator. German word: Drachen Boot. The better word i think is "dragon boat". I searched in the digital version of the rulebook (with the search through the document funktion) and i didnt found that you must have a whaling boat like you must have s dragon boat.

It's definitely in the rules. Also the icons on the action space on the board show this as well.


Yes, with the icons is correct but i didnt found it in the rules. Do you know the page?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Smeary wrote:
grant5 wrote:
Smeary wrote:
grant5 wrote:
Smeary wrote:
Is it necessary to have at least 1 whale boat as you need a kite boat as a prerequisite. Is this the same way with whaling boats?
Or does the whaling go completely without a boat?

I don't know exactly what you're talking about here with kite boat, but yes, you need at least one whaling boat to take a whaling action.


I used the Google translator. German word: Drachen Boot. The better word i think is "dragon boat". I searched in the digital version of the rulebook (with the search through the document funktion) and i didnt found that you must have a whaling boat like you must have s dragon boat.

It's definitely in the rules. Also the icons on the action space on the board show this as well.


Yes, with the icons is correct but i didnt found it in the rules. Do you know the page?

Page 19:
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.