Popular Tags: [View All]
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone!

This is my first post here, so go easy on me.

I've designed a card game and to allow testing I've knocked up a quick draft of what the cards will look like.

The text and images are just place holders, and the actual image on the card doesn't belong to me.

Any feedback is fantastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm holding these cards in my hand, I can't possibly see the necessary numbers without going through the cards one at a time. If they're played to a table or position, it looks much better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your feedback, Paul.
they are indeed meant to be played on a table.
Each player has 4 of them in a row for both players to see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkatronics wrote:

they are indeed meant to be played on a table.

Much better then.

Then I have the next question - which way do they face? Are some players viewing them upside down and it the part they need to see easily readable from their vantage and distance on the table?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards are placed face up and facing the player who they belong to.
So half of them will be upside down.

The main aspect opponents need to see are the numbers, then the two ability fields.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This design is definitely functional, which all you need while testing. However, if you're still in the testing stage I don't think you even need to take the graphic design as far as you have. Because the testing process usually involves a lot of printing, playing, tweaking, and printing again, adding gradients and full color images like this is going to be a big drain on your resources. It also take a lot of time just to prepare your first prototype.

In the early design stages you want to focus on the mechanics. Later on down the road, when you get into public testing and the game's design is pretty much solidified, is when you should start working on the graphic design and layout. But maybe you are already at that stage?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geordie Young
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Black Canyon wrote:
But maybe you are already at that stage?

If not, then you're at the prototyping stage. If that's the case, consider cutting index cards in half and writing the necessary information down on them, or print and cut text-only versions of your cards (can sleeve them with thicker stock or other playing cards for shuffling purposes). Toner and ink aren't free!

I highly recommend the dollar store or Wal-Mart for all of your prototyping needs. You'll be generating a lot of waste as you test, refine, and scrap ideas. No need for your hard-earned money to be wasted too.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback regarding prototyping.

I'm at a stage where I'm ready to give my testers something a bit more visual to play with. I plan on reprinting only the text and numbers to stick on the test card.

Once again, I appreciate all the feed back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob West
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
One of the blue circles needs to be changed to something that isn't a blue circle. One of the silver rectangles on the bottom needs to change as well. Having four visually distinct fields will make the cards much easier to process mentally, particularly in a game with eight cards on the table, four of which are upside down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainBob wrote:
One of the blue circles needs to be changed to something that isn't a blue circle. One of the silver rectangles on the bottom needs to change as well. Having four visually distinct fields will make the cards much easier to process mentally, particularly in a game with eight cards on the table, four of which are upside down.

Hi Bob, I'm currently looking for symbols to replace born circles, just not found anything yet.
What colour would you suggest with the abilities?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob West
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Which colors and shapes you use really doesn't matter. What matters is that each individual piece of information on the card be as visually different as possible while still looking like they all belong on the same card together. Given that you've started with blue and silver, my first guess would be to try various shades of purple, black, grey,and other metallics like gold, bronze and copper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Sirenko
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
kirkatronics wrote:
Hi everyone!

This is my first post here, so go easy on me.

I've designed a card game and to allow testing I've knocked up a quick draft of what the cards will look like.

The text and images are just place holders, and the actual image on the card doesn't belong to me.

Any feedback is fantastic.

how come there are two identical numbers? Do they represent the same thing? if so then why 2?
i know you mentioned the text is a placeholder but the description font size seems really tiny

also, the cards will have rounded corners i presume when printed so you might wanna consider other options for the frame other than rectangular corners

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the numbers do have different meanings than I would suggest either making them different colors or a different shape for the boarder. It might get confusing with the two blue squares for someone new to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.